Jaguar launching electric vehicle charging stations across South Africa

hj007

Expert Member
Long distance isn't really feasible at 20mins charging per 100km, since it looks like full is somewhere around 400km of range? I guess stopping for 1.5 hours 4 times on the way down to Cape Town wouldn't be too terrible ...
Can't we do a battery swap to speed this up?
Think I'll avoid being an early adopter for now and wait.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Long distance isn't really feasible at 20mins charging per 100km, since it looks like full is somewhere around 400km of range? I guess stopping for 1.5 hours 4 times on the way down to Cape Town wouldn't be too terrible ...

Still reckon you'll need another car in your garage to complement your electric one.
Durbs you could maybe get away with.
Still, how often are you driving to those places? 400km (and a proper 400km, not half that in reality) would cover 99% of our driving. Charge your car at work and Bob's your uncle.

R4ziel

Expert Member
If I had to re-charge every 400 km for 1 hour I'd be able to go about 4 days without having to re-charge, so it would be a pain, but I wouldn't have to charge every day at least

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Long distance, at least in the conversational way of doing it is somewhat missing the point and not using a vehicle fit for purpose.

It's also a very South African thing to travel long distance the way we do.

Options are...

1. Use an aeroplane for anything that would require travelling more than 500km.

2. Do it over multiple days.

3. Buy a hybrid charge instead which can switch to petrol engine to extend range.

That being said Tesla charges much more quickly than these Jags are stating and that is kind of their super power right there making it more feasible. You can fully charge a Tesla not as quickly as you do a petrol car, but in about the time you would stop to have a quick snack.

Battery is basically the chassis in these cars and is a large proportion of the vehicle space wise. So not only would it be huge but it would take longer than charging it.

It's not a little car battery we are talking about, it's more like a 2 square metre array.

hj007

Expert Member
Still reckon you'll need another car in your garage to complement your electric one.
Durbs you could maybe get away with.
Still, how often are you driving to those places? 400km (and a proper 400km, not half that in reality) would cover 99% of our driving. Charge your car at work and Bob's your uncle.
True, I am looking forward though to the day when majority is electric so the roads are less noisy and polluted.

Although in SA it might be just moving the pollution away to the power stations, but there is something unpleasant about being exposed to petrol fumes in traffic jams that I look forward to reducing.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

Battery is basically the chassis in these cars and is a large proportion of the vehicle space wise. So not only would it be huge but it would take longer than charging it.

It's not a little car battery we are talking about, it's more like a 2 square metre array.

First hit on Google:
Model S is designed to allow a fast battery swap, exchanging your battery for a fully charged battery in less than half the time it takes to refill a gas tank

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
First hit on Google:

Yes at the dedicated service centre by a Tesla engineer.

Not at the bloody garage on your long distance road trip by Oom Trompie.

Regardless of the speed of the swop it's not a feasible model....as can be seen by the post above.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Although in SA it might be just moving the pollution away to the power stations, but there is something unpleasant about being exposed to petrol fumes in traffic jams that I look forward to reducing.

**** the power stations.

Tesla Powerwall 2 + Solar Panels, no more Eskom required.

system32

Expert Member
The current rate for 1kWh will be between R3.00 and R3.50, depending where in South Africa you are.

“With a 90kWh battery, a full recharge in an I-PACE will cost between R270 and R315.
According to CoJ, electricity is R1.24/kWh to R1.85/kWh (ex VAT)
https://www.citypower.co.za/customers/Pages/Tariff-Info.aspx

I-Pace 90kWh will cost R111.60 to R166.50 (ex VAT) good for about 350km.

Much cheaper than petrol.

Kelerei

Expert Member

That's why, if I were to buy an electric vehicle, I'd opt for a plug-in hybrid -- best of both worlds, in my opinion.