• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Jailbreaking a Hisense 50 inch UHD 4k smart tv? Or any way to add/remove apps

macbeth

Hi, got a Hisense tv - pretty happy with quality and youtube options on it.
But can't seem to change country beyond Southern Africa countries - seems to be preset
and can't seem to add .apk files as the sales people said i would be able to (one of the reasons didnt go with samsung/lg)
so what I'm wondering - is there a way of adding apk files? stuff like kodi etc...
or jailbreaking the device to get some more flexibility.
For instance, there is a netflix button but when you press it, says netflix is not available in this country.
Is there a way to update or change firmware?
gotta be a guru out there somewhere to help with this, internet searches dont exactly help...
:wtf:

roligov

I think you mean root the device, but that should not be necessary if you just want to sideload APK's. If you can enable adb on the TV (normally under developer options in one of the menus), then you can sideload APK's over your network or directly from your phone to the TV.

macbeth

you're going to have to explain that slowly to a dufus like me :) how would one enable adb on the tv - there isnt an option called developer options

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
you're going to have to explain that slowly to a dufus like me :) how would one enable adb on the tv - there isnt an option called developer options
Don't you have to click on the Android version no a couple of times to enable dev mode.

ECape

Sure you can install APK's on the Hisense.
Just download it, click on the file, and install.

gfmalan

Expert Member
We have a Mecer monitor with Android on, and in one of the system menus, there is a application app, there you can browse to apk on network/ usb stick and install.

What I've noticed is that some APKs require other components to work, so get a list of dependencies, and then install those first.

digitalp

Hi, got a Hisense tv - pretty happy with quality and youtube options on it.
But can't seem to change country beyond Southern Africa countries - seems to be preset
and can't seem to add .apk files as the sales people said i would be able to (one of the reasons didnt go with samsung/lg)
so what I'm wondering - is there a way of adding apk files? stuff like kodi etc...
or jailbreaking the device to get some more flexibility.
For instance, there is a netflix button but when you press it, says netflix is not available in this country.
Is there a way to update or change firmware?
gotta be a guru out there somewhere to help with this, internet searches dont exactly help...
:wtf:

I have the same TV. Download this firmware here. Its the firmware for the british version of the same TV. It will fix your Netflix problem and also add BBC iPlayer and other apps. Note that this TV doesnt run android so you cannot sideload apps. You can however install apps from the Opera TV store.

macbeth

I have the same TV. Download this firmware here. Its the firmware for the british version of the same TV. It will fix your Netflix problem and also add BBC iPlayer and other apps. Note that this TV doesnt run android so you cannot sideload apps. You can however install apps from the Opera TV store.

thanks.
do i simply use the tv browser to update the firmware?
or download offscreen and unzip and install via flash drive?

also opera store is pretty limited. i take it this will allow new apps. the SA version is pretty limited?

digitalp

thanks.
do i simply use the tv browser to update the firmware?
or download offscreen and unzip and install via flash drive?

also opera store is pretty limited. i take it this will allow new apps. the SA version is pretty limited?
Use a flash drive to update. The downloaded file comes with instructions. And yes it comes with new apps, but not much.

hey guys i have a Hisense 49" Smart FHD LED TV (49K3110PW) i tried the method to download the firmware to get the british version and put it on my flash drive plugged it in to the tv followed the instructions saw it said updating downloading then the tv went off and i cant get it back on i tried pushing the on/off button on remote i switched off the plug the tv is connected to took the cord out put it back in. put the plug back on tried switching it on again. nothing happened. then switched the main board switch off and on the tried switching the on/off button on remote on still nothing happened. Please I Need Help. hope someone can help me thanks

Last edited:

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
hey guys i have a Hisense 49" Smart FHD LED TV (49K3110PW) i tried the method to download the firmware to get the british version and put it on my flash drive plugged it in to the tv followed the instructions saw it said updating downloading then the tv went off and i cant get it back on i tried pushing the on/off button on remote i switched off the plug the tv is connected to took the cord out put it back in. put the plug back on tried switching it on again. nothing happened. then switched the main board switch off and on the tried switching the on/off button on remote on still nothing happened. Please I Need Help. hope someone can help me thanks
Is the rest of the house also without electricity?

Drifter

Honorary Master
Sounds like you bricked it.