Jailbreaking and rooting could soon become illegal again, unless you act now

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Back in July of 2010 the US government ruled that jailbreaking and rooting weren’t a crime as long as the intention behind them isn’t circumventing copyright.

The ruling is set to expire soon and unless renewed, jailbreaking and rooting of smartphones will become illegal once again.

An organization called the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) has issued a petition that anyone can sign – the idea is to get enough objective opinions in favor of renewing the ruling. The EFF also wants to add tablets to the agreement.

You can find all the details on the source link below. Keep in mind that signing up to renew the agreement closes on February 10.

Whether jailbreaking is legal or illegal may not matter much to the end user, but not voting for legalization would surely put all the hard-working devs outside the law.

Source

Mouse

Expert Member
The ruling is set to expire soon and unless renewed, jailbreaking and rooting of smartphones will become illegal once again.

Why is the default law to make it illegal? This should be changed to legal by default unless some corporation wants to pay lobbyists to try and change it.

FNfal

Executive Member
My phone my tablet i can do WTF i like with it
but you are right people should stand against this sort nonsense and sign the petition to allow development to continue legally

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Perhaps if you explained the impact it would have on South Africans?

NONE, well unless you a mod'er, as your source of ROM's might dry up.

In SA its already illegal? See ETC Act

Electronic Communications and Transactions Act. 2002
Chapter XIII - Cyber Crime
86. Unauthorised access to, interception of or interference with data

1) Subject to the Interception and Monitoring Prohibition Act, 1992 (Act No. 127 of 1992), a person who intentionally accesses or intercepts any data without authority or permission to do so, is guilty of an offence.

2) A person who intentionally and without authority to do so, interferes with data in a way which causes such data to be modified, destroyed or otherwise rendered ineffective, is guilty of an offence.

3) A person who unlawfully produces, sells, offers to sell, procures for use, designs, adapts for use, distributes or possesses any device, including a computer program or a component, which is designed primarily to overcome security measures for the protection of data, or performs any of those acts with regard to a password, access code or any other similar kind of data with the intent to unlawfully utilise such item to contravene this section, is guilty of' an offence.

4) A person who utilises any device or computer program mentioned in subsection (3) in order to unlawfully overcome security measures designed to protect such data or access thereto, is guilty of an offence.

5) A person who commits any act described in this section with the intent to interfere with access to an information system so as to constitute a denial, including a partial denial, of service to legitimate users is guilty of an offence.

Last edited:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
My phone my tablet i can do WTF i like with it
but you are right people should stand against this sort nonsense and sign the petition to allow development to continue legally

Exactly. It's bollocks that there are laws that tell us what to do with things we own. They can go to hell :D

FNfal

Executive Member