Jason Rohde, Sotheby's CEO, Murder Trial

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - Sotheby International Realty chief executive officer Jason Rohde’s lawyers have commissioned pathological and forensic reports after his wife’s death was ruled as murder.

The reports would include toxicology and histology analyses - the study of the anatomy of cells and tissues - and more thorough examination of the X-rays, Rohde’s lawyer Daniel Witz told News24 on Monday.

Western Cape police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk said following the initial registration of an inquest docket, the results of the State pathologist’s post mortem led to the cause of her death being changed to murder last Thursday.

Witz said the reports were expected to be available within two weeks.

Susan, 47, was found dead at the Spier Wine Estate on July 24. Sotheby’s had hosted its annual conference at the lavish venue for the weekend.

Under investigation

Witz said that according to his client, he and his wife had woken up together that Sunday morning.

“She went into the bathroom to get ready and he fell asleep. When he awoke to get ready for a breakfast talk, he was unable to open the door,” he said.

Hotel maintenance was called to assist. Once opened, he found his wife hung behind the door, he told News24.

Allegations of the couple being involved in an argument at the hotel’s bar on Saturday night, where Susan apparently “stood in public and said she knew he was having an affair” were irrelevant, Witz argued.

He conceded that he had not asked his client about his personal life, and that this had not been in the original statement Rohde drafted. This initial statement given to police was never signed. Witz said he felt that it had been premature.

Van Wyk said the matter was still under investigation and that no arrests had been made.

Susan’s funeral was held last Tuesday, two days before her death was ruled a murder.

The couple have three daughters - an 18-year-old and twins who are 16.

Witz said his client was “not doing very well”.

“His focus is on his three daughters. We only communicate when absolutely necessary.”

Spier Hotel general manager Joep Schoof said its management was helping police with their investigation and was unable to comment any further.

Sotheby's spokesperson Samantha Bartlett said the company's chairperson Lew Geffen had extended his condolences to the entire family, following the “tragic” incident. She said Rohde was currently on leave.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...n-forensic-reports-into-wifes-murder-20160808

Last edited by a moderator:

skimread

Executive Member
Allegations of the couple being involved in an argument at the hotel’s bar on Saturday night, where Susan apparently “stood in public and said she knew he was having an affair” were irrelevant, Witz argued.
Hell of a coincidence

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
He killed her. Quite simple really. Just like that other millionaire ********* that murdered his wife in Mauritius. These rich fukkers all think they are above the law.

Kudos the medical examiner that dug deeper and found the evidence.

Segg

Expert Member
This guy is one of my neighbors, the kids seem to be doing okay thanks to their friends, but the guy himself seriously isn't doing too well. Last I heard is he's locked himself in his bedroom and is completely blank

schumi

Honorary Master
Really hope the State pathologist has it wrong and he did not murder her

abzo

Honorary Master
He thought he was hanging an intruder in the bathroom, your honour.

sand_man

Honorary Master
This guy is one of my neighbors, the kids seem to be doing okay thanks to their friends, but the guy himself seriously isn't doing too well. Last I heard is he's locked himself in his bedroom and is completely blank
I went to school with him. He was a year ahead of me. Struck me as an over confident, cocky individual, quite arrogant too but he was an achiever.

Apparently he's already been accused of perjury and contempt of court, in his business dealings. Guy's primed for a breakdown of some sort.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I see he was arrested in the early hours of this morning. Mandy Weiner on Twitter saying Sue was murdered with a hair iron. I assume strangled with the cord.

Bastard.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
CEO arrested for wife's Spier murder

Cape Town – The husband of Susan Rohde, whose body was found in a bathroom of an upmarket Stellenbosch hotel, has reportedly been arrested in connection with her murder.

Western Cape police would only confirm to News24 that a 47-year-old man had been arrested in Johannesburg around 06:50 on Tuesday, but the man's lawyer confirmed his arrest to Netwerk24.

Jason Rohde, 47, is the chief executive officer of Sotheby International Realty.

He was expected to appear on a charge of murder in the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court soon, said Captain FC van Wyk.

Netwerk24 reported that Rohde, who was arrested at his home in Bryanston, would initially appear in the Randburg Magistrate's Court. He faces an additional charge of obstruction of justice.

Forensic reports

Susan Rohde, 47, was found dead at the Spier Wine Estate on July 24. Sotheby’s had hosted its annual conference at the venue for the weekend.

Her husband's lawyers previously told News24 they had commissioned pathological and forensic reports after his wife’s death was ruled as murder.

The reports would include toxicology and histology analyses - the study of the anatomy of cells and tissues - and more thorough examination of the X-rays, Rohde’s lawyer Daniel Witz said at the time.

Following the initial registration of an inquest docket, the results of the State pathologist’s post mortem led to the cause of her death being changed to murder.

Witz said that according to his client, he and his wife had woken up together that Sunday morning.

“She went into the bathroom to get ready and he fell asleep. When he awoke to get ready for a breakfast talk, he was unable to open the door,” he said.

Hotel maintenance was called to assist. Once opened, he found his wife hung behind the door, he told News24.

The couple have three daughters - an 18-year-old and twins who are 16.

Jenna Etheridge, News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/jason-rohde-arrested-for-wifes-murder-20160823?isapp=true

Segg

Expert Member
Yep, cops rocked up at the complex this morning as I was leaving, apparently he was arrested in front of the kids, which is a bit overboard if you ask me, I would have called him to come out rather than walk in and place him in cuffs

R13...

Honorary Master
Yep, cops rocked up at the complex this morning as I was leaving, apparently he was arrested in front of the kids, which is a bit overboard if you ask me, I would have called him to come out rather than walk in and place him in cuffs
Many people are arrested in front of kids don't see why he should be afforded special attention.

Lindiswa

husband/boyfriends should stop their tendency of killing wives/girlfriends. i am sure there is another solution not murder.:mad: