Jason Rohde, Sotheby's CEO, Murder Trial

Pitbull

Verboten
She hung herself from a bathroom door handle three feet off the ground - he should be convicted for even trying that one.
People hang themselves on door knobs all the time. I recall some story about people getting off while being choked. And then end up passing out and hanging themselves from door knobs.

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
He may not have the funds for that. Shockingly enough he was allowed to use funds from his wife's life insurance, to pay for his defense.

That may now have become a big issue, as the insurers would want that money back.
One of life's cruel ironies...

daveza

Honorary Master
People hand themselves on door knobs all the time. I recall some story about people getting off while being choked. And then end up passing out and hanging themselves from door knobs.

Did some Googling and I stand corrected.

If he had slashed her wrists and dumped her in the bath he would have had a better chance of faking it.

Pitbull

Verboten
Did some Googling and I stand corrected.

If he had slashed her wrists and dumped her in the bath he would have had a better chance of faking it.
Even though I think that type of hanging is probably more strangulation than hanging :)

daveza

Honorary Master
Report I just heard says the handyman who opened the bathroom door found the victim on the floor with a cable wrapped loosely around her neck.

Rohde's version was that the cable was wrapped tightly around her neck and attached to the door knob.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What got him convicted? Circumstantial evidence? Or forensic evidence of manual suffocation?
Also the other person (handyman?) at the scene having a completely different story on circumstances around state of her body when found, as mentioned in post above mine.

bumbledore

Absolutely preposterous.

People kill themselves on a daily basis in similar, and dissimilar ways.
People like his wife are my patients. My patients are at an increased risk of suicide by virtue of having a serious mental illness.
Sometimes the intention is to die, other times it is a cry for help.
Often, a cry for help accidentally becomes a completed suicide.
There is no clear forensic evidence to support the notion he killed her violently.

This entire debacle is a case-and-point of how the courts are simply unable to understand the complexities of mental health issues and how - for all intents and purposes - a mental health layperson wearing shiny red pajamas can dismiss an incredibly complex area of mental health (i.e suicides and parasuicides) as being impossible.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Absolutely preposterous.

People like his wife are my patients. My patients are at an increased risk of suicide by virtue of having a serious mental illness.
There is no clear forensic evidence to support the notion he killed her violently.

This entire debacle is a case-and-point of how the courts are simply unable to understand the complexities of mental health issues and how - for all intents and purposes - a mental health layperson wearing shiny red pajamas can dismiss an incredibly complex area of mental health (i.e suicides and parasuicides) as being impossible.
So the handyman is lying? What is his motive for lying?

Absolutely preposterous.

There were various 'experts like yourself' that testified at this trial contradicting each other.

bumbledore

So the handyman is lying? What is his motive for lying?
Memory is a funny thing, especially when there's a maelstrom of goings on around you. Especially when confronted with a dead body. And even more so when one has never seen a dead body before.
More common than not to dissociate and to not take in all the details.
Maybe the state or the defense could have asked a neurologist or psychiatrist to testify on memory and this could have been explained in more detail.
Just because he had a different recollection doesn't mean that he was lying.
Just because he had a different recollection doesn't mean the accused was lying.
Just because he had a different recollection doesn't mean that what he remembers is correct, or incorrect.
That's why people are rarely convicted on eye-witness testimony alone.

One mustn't forget that this archaic dance between prosecution and defense is actually a statistics and numbers game. Prosecution wants as close to 100% conviction as possible. That's how their successes are defined. Not quality convictions, but quantity. If you think this somehow absolves them - as officers of the Court - of 'funny games' to increases their chances of success, you need to wake up quickly.

The report from Larissa Panieri-Peters (who is an impeccable psychiatrist and held in extremely high regard among her colleagues) was dismissed without good cause and actually gave a lot of important context to the mental health status of the deceased. The woman had innumerable risk factors for suicide, a list as long as my arm. He had very few risk factors for homicide. The best predictor of violence is a history thereof. She had threatened violence and been violent towards herself on numerous occasions. He had never been violent towards her (from what was entered into the Court record). What reasons have been given to disbelieve him? The fact that he's denying a serious charge somehow makes him untrustworthy? Preposterous.

One can never know, but on the balance of probabilities and facts submitted, there is far more evidence exonerating this man than condemning him (barring public opinion).

Panayiotou - beyond a reasonable doubt
Parsons, Witbooi, van Niekerk - beyond a reasonable doubt
Dewani - beyond a reasonable doubt (but he escaped nonetheless)
Pistorious - beyond a reasonable doubt on appeal
Rohde - I don't think ^^ applies

bumbledore

There were various 'experts like yourself' that testified at this trial contradicting each other.
That's quite normal.
The prosecution has an expert.
The defense has an expert.
This is all procedural.
Sometimes the prosecution expert and defense expert meet first to help the Courts. Sometimes they agree. Other times they do not.
But it is the Court to ultimately decide between the dissenting views.
And the Court has decided in a questionable and dismissive manner.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I haven't followed this case at all - but I watched a few clips on YouTube and thought he handled himself well. In the clips I saw, I felt sorry for him ... I mean they were asking the position of the knot around her neck and he coudn't recall. He was roasted for that - but I'd be hard pressed to recall something like that.

But - isn't what sent him to prison physical proof of strangulation?

daveza

Honorary Master
There's a huge difference between finding her on the floor with cable loose around the neck and finding her with a tightly wrapped cable around her neck and still attached to the door handle.

That's beyond ' a different recollection' by miles.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
There's a huge difference between finding her on the floor with cable loose around the neck and finding her with a tightly wrapped cable around her neck and still attached to the door handle.

That's beyond ' a different recollection' by miles.
bumbledore now should explain to us about biases, and then explain it does not apply to his view of what happened...

Last edited:

schumi

Honorary Master
Rohde daughters set to testify at killer dad's sentencing proceedings

“We love you dad, we know you are innocent and we want to testify for you.”
This was the message Jason Rohde’s twin daughters sent their father via a family member after receiving the news that he had been found guilty of murdering their mother at Spier Hotel in 2016.
The exact nature of their testimony is not known, but Rohde lawyer Tony Mostert confirmed the possible appearance of the Rohde siblings. “In all probability one or more will testify,” he said.
Rohde’s 18-year-old daughters Josie and Alexandra, who are writing matric exams at Diocesan School for Girls in Grahamstown, heard about their father’s fate as they walked into their Afrikaans exam.
“Their immediate reaction was pain and disbelief,” said a source close to the family who asked for anonymity. “That was followed by, ‘When is dad getting out?’ The family member who broke the news then had to gently tell them that he wasn’t, that his bail had been revoked and he was going to jail for the murder of their mom.”
The twins’ message was conveyed to Rohde by family who visited him at Pollsmoor for the first time the day after Judge Gayaat Salie-Hlophe found him guilty of murder and defeating the ends of justice.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus...t-killer-dads-sentencing-proceedings-18157416