Jet-powered flying taxi unveiled

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Jet-powered flying taxi unveiled

The world’s first all-electric vertical takeoff and landing passenger jet has been unveiled after completing its first flight.

German startup Lilium aims to have a fleet of the five-seat aircraft - which can operate with a pilot or in drone mode - flying in cities worldwide by 2025, providing a pay-per-ride service that will be emission-free, five times faster than a car and produce less noise than a motorbike. [Bloomberg]

klipdrifter

This sounds awesome! Hope they have some sort of navigation system to ensure these flying taxis don't fly into each other :laugh:

Cray

Honorary Master
Geez, our taxi's cause enough trouble on terra firma....

eg2505

Honorary Master
Geez, our taxi's cause enough trouble on terra firma....
its German, so Im sure it will be safe, and well engineered like any BMW
expensive as ever, and every minister would want to trade up to this, add some blue lights, black paint.
perfect ministers ride.

problem now comes from all the CAA licensing locally,
not to mention all the problems with pilots and people to fix it when it goes wrong.

so wait a few years, and then it will be commonplace.

Cray

Honorary Master
its German, so Im sure it will be safe, and well engineered like any BMW
expensive as ever, and every minister would want to trade up to this, add some blue lights, black paint.
perfect ministers ride.

problem now comes from all the CAA licensing locally,
not to mention all the problems with pilots and people to fix it when it goes wrong.

so wait a few years, and then it will be commonplace.
I'd buy one...

eg2505

Honorary Master
I'd buy one...
Yip me as well,
but first when Ive got every other rich mans toy, like a yacht and a maybach,
then I could afford it.

also locally what will the CAA say about this, what would they classify this as?

garp

Executive Member
Electric jets?? Have I missed some kind of revolution in propulsion technology? By definition, a jet engine relies on combustion. I assume they mean electrically motorised fans in a jet-shaped cowling?

And how far has this actually flown? The practical problem with electric flight is battery weight - I will be very surprised if they're anywhere near their target 300km range on current battery technology powering 36 engines.

Swa

Honorary Master
Electric jets?? Have I missed some kind of revolution in propulsion technology? By definition, a jet engine relies on combustion. I assume they mean electrically motorised fans in a jet-shaped cowling?

And how far has this actually flown? The practical problem with electric flight is battery weight - I will be very surprised if they're anywhere near their target 300km range on current battery technology powering 36 engines.
No a jet engine is any engine that relies on releasing a fast propelled stream of particles. The most common ones are rotary turbine driven by combustion but they can be electric as well.