JHB vs PTA (culture, women etc)

HimmlersGrandson

I'm a late 20's guy from Scandinavia who moved to Sandton about 2 years ago. As my lease is now up, I am thinking whether I should stay in Joburg's northern suburbs or if I should make a move to Pretoria.

Some general questions:

1. Would/should I need to learn Afrikaans to be fully accepted among the Afrikaaners in Pretoria? If I continued speaking English, would I forever be an outcast or one of those annoying people everybody in a group is forced to accommodate?

2. Are Pretorian whites really more conservative than the Joburg ones? And if so, in what ways does this manifest except politically? Are the gender roles more traditional? Do people dress differently?

3. Just browsing social media sites online, it seems quite common in Pretoria to get engaged or married while still in or just after High School. Am I correct? In general I see nothing wrong with this. But will I struggle giving that I am not "one of them" (an Afrikaaner) and I'm 10 years older than my prospects in the dating market? Currently I am struggling to find suitable white women in Joburg as firstly, they are a rare sight and secondly, most are very liberated and "Americanized" (which is not my thing).

Other than this I'm of course interested in hearing anything else that relates to JHB vs PTA in general. Thanks for reading.

3WA

Honorary Master
Why do you wanna date teenagers as a late-twenties guy?

If at first you don't succeed, buy a two-tone shirt, learn a boerewors recipe, work on your Afrikaans accent, and you'll fit right into the Volkstaat.

And just don't let anyone catch you cheering for the Lions.

flarkit

Executive Member
PTA is more liberated than people think. The "just after High School" people tend to wind up at the University of Pretoria where they are given a solid dose of cosmopolitan thinking and drift towards Aandklas, to consume Zamalek and have their hair braided.

For the more traditional gender roles, perhaps try rural Vrystaat or Danville.

You should learn Afrikaans if you are intent on being fully accepted among the Afrikaaners anywhere, not only Pretoria.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
You made me smile OP. It is like you are expecting it to be different worlds. They aren't really. You will find plenty of ladies in their mid to late 20s not married or involved. Some even in their 30s. Learning basic communication in Afrikaans will help but most people do speak English so you won't be totally lost.

Lynwood Road in Hatfield is a popular hangout place for the varsity students - start there and you will see you were worried about nothing. They are the same as the Jhb people (some of them are the Jhb people)

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Why do you wanna date teenagers as a late-twenties guy?

If at first you don't succeed, buy a two-tone shirt, learn a boerewors recipe, work on your Afrikaans accent, and you'll fit right into the Volkstaat.

And just don't let anyone catch you cheering for the Lions.

Such a savage response.

Reactions: 3WA

PoppieChoffel

Honorary Master
I moved to JHB about 10 years ago now, first staying in North Riding (hated it - far too congested, and queuing in traffic jams on a Saturday morning just to get to a damn Spar is not my idea of fun), then moved to Highlands North - beautiful area but arguably not terribly safe, too close to some dodgy areas for my liking, then to Garsfontein in Pretoria. I love the eastern suburbs of Pretoria and Fairie Glen and surrounds are quickly becoming PTA's version of Sandton with the mass development (Menlyn Mall expansion, Menlyn Maine) that seems, currently, never ending, is attracting many "trendy" youngsters (your age group). It also just feels safer to me over all than most suburbs of JHB, but that is purely my perception and stats could prove otherwise, but where I stay I comfortably go walking in dark or light without hassles. It's also just a damn site less busy and congested, and you don't feel like a rat in a maze (again, this applies for where I stay - it's an old neighborhood with large properties).

Regarding "cultural" differences, I'm English but understand Afrikaans very well with rudimentary spoken word skill, and I get on just fine. I think it's more important to focus on finding like-minded people (not just potential girlfriends) with the same interests as you, irrespective of language or gender, as a start to "fitting in", whether in JHB or PTA.

And, welcome :)

Gothan

Expert Member
Hey! I live in the moot in PTA. Think Pretoria is a bit more relaxed than Jodi. But I could be wrong, I’m old and close to being senile.

Want to fit in, wear a bulls jersey

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Worked and lived in both cities ... PTA is much more relaxed than JHB honestly !

But I also hear guy who live in JHB and work in PTA wont EVER move this side of the "wors gordyn" lol

Pitbull

Verboten
I'm a late 20's guy from Scandinavia who moved to Sandton about 2 years ago. As my lease is now up, I am thinking whether I should stay in Joburg's northern suburbs or if I should make a move to Pretoria.

Some general questions:

1. Would/should I need to learn Afrikaans to be fully accepted among the Afrikaaners in Pretoria? If I continued speaking English, would I forever be an outcast or one of those annoying people everybody in a group is forced to accommodate?

Since you have an accent you will be fine amongst the Afrikaans people, they will accept you speaking English. The Afrikaans girls will fall over themselves. The problem is their fathers. They don't take kindly to English people having it with their daughters.

2. Are Pretorian whites really more conservative than the Joburg ones? And if so, in what ways does this manifest except politically? Are the gender roles more traditional? Do people dress differently?

WAY more conservative and cultural than Joburg. Not a Political thing, more an Afrikaans tradition thing. Gender roles are more traditional, once again, Afrikaans Girls in general are not into the Feminist shyte. They are too happy playing the female role and the Man playing the Man role.

3. Just browsing social media sites online, it seems quite common in Pretoria to get engaged or married while still in or just after High School. Am I correct? In general I see nothing wrong with this. But will I struggle giving that I am not "one of them" (an Afrikaaner) and I'm 10 years older than my prospects in the dating market? Currently I am struggling to find suitable white women in Joburg as firstly, they are a rare sight and secondly, most are very liberated and "Americanized" (which is not my thing).

Other than this I'm of course interested in hearing anything else that relates to JHB vs PTA in general. Thanks for reading.

Nea, it happens in Afrikaans communities that married couples mainly met at school. But they are not in the majority. Afrikaans girls do tend to not go out alone unless they are in varsity. So the best place to meet Afrikaans women would be at events (family orientated) or work or something similar. However, places like Hatfield, you will pick up varsity chicks by the truck loads.

eg2505

Honorary Master
some Scandinavian chicks are better looking than some of the local variety.

for the real stunning chicks, you got to go into the more rural areas, where prospects are slim,

3WA

Honorary Master
yes, yes, I would have said chickens if otherwise.

Oh. Good looking girls in the countryside?

I just assumed everyone there was inbred and had a fetish for livestock.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master

Some general questions:

I'm from Pretoria and I work in Johannesburg so I know about both sides.

Your information on Pretoria is skewed.

You can speak only English and no one would think of you funny. It is perfectly fine to not speak Afrikaans and you won't be seen as an outcast.

Pretoria is not conservative. No idea where that rumour comes from. I'm a gay guy and going on dates with my BF in Pretoria turns no heads. The conservative people are a minority as they are everywhere in the world.

People don't dress funny...lol.

On point 3. I can't help you there...seems like a YOU problem. Pretoria people don't get married fresh out of high school.

Johannesburg and Pretoria are pretty much the same other than Joburg being vastly larger and more diverse.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
All I am going to say is I am 30, live in Pretoria. Work in JHB (Sandton).

Language is a non-issue. I am bilingual but speak predominantly English. No one cares, you wont feel out.

I find Pretoria a lot more chilled happy to work in JHB but Pretoria is great to come home and relax. You will also get more bang for your buck with housing etc this side. Just my 2C