Jiba can return to NPA after court finds misconduct 'not established' [UPDATE] Nomgcobo Jiba, Lawrence Mrwebi must go, says Yvonne Mokgoro

schumi

Honorary Master
#MokgoroInquiry: Former Hawks boss Booysen blames Edward Zuma for his troubles

Johannesburg - Former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks boss Johan Booysen has blamed Edward Zuma’s business interests for his legal troubles with suspended national director of public prosecutions (NDPP) advocate Nomgcobo Jiba.

Edward is the son of former president Jacob Zuma.
Booysen is testifying at the Mokgoro Enquiry led by retired Constitutional Court justice Yvonne Mokgoro.

He said his legal troubles with Jiba began in August 2012 after he turned down a request by Zuma that he allow the police treasury to release an outstanding R15 million payment which was due to controversial businessman Thoshan Panday.

Booysen said Panday was irregularly awarded a contract of R60m by the police to provide accommodation for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. He said he lodged an investigation after obtaining information that the tender procedures were not followed. He said at the time of investigations, R45m had already been paid to Panday.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/mokgoroinquiry-former-hawks-boss-booysen-blames-edward-zuma-for-his-troubles-19134872

schumi

Honorary Master
'What was the point of your evidence?' - Jiba lawyer says Booysen's evidence is premature

The lawyer for suspended deputy prosecutions boss Nomgcobo Jiba has hit back at former KZN Hawks boss Johan Booysen, saying it was "hopelessly premature" for him to testify before the Mokgoro inquiry.

"What was the point of your evidence?" advocate Norman Arendse, SC, asked.

"What was the point of all that other than to provide some good theatre here for the media and for others?" Arendse continued.

"I am not here for the media. I am not here for theatre. I have been exposed to the media for the last seven years, so I am not here for theatre or for the media," Booysen said during cross-examination on Monday.
More at : https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/what-was-the-point-of-your-evidence-jiba-lawyer-says-booysens-evidence-is-premature-20190204

schumi

Honorary Master
Johan Booysen calls Nomgcobo Jiba a liar

.The former KZN top cop painted a picture on Monday of how he was targeted by the NPA head and others for ‘nefarious’ reasons.

Major General (Ret) Johan Booysen’s investigations into a R60 million contract to supply temporary accommodation for police members in KwaZulu-Natal during the 2010 World Cup had begun under a cloud of threats he would be “eliminated”.

After consulting with his legal representative advocate Anton Katz about whether he could share certain evidence, Booysen told Justice Yvonne Mokgoro he had been informed of this by Crime Intelligence’s Colonel Brian Padayachee.

This was according to Booysen’s evidence before the Mokgoro inquiry into suspended deputy national director of public prosecutions advocate Nomgcobo Jiba and advocate Lawrence Mrwebi’s fitness to hold office.

At the time, Booysen was head of the KwaZulu-Natal Hawks and investigating a “multimillion-rand corruption investigation against wealthy businessman Thoshan Panday, who had business links to direct family members of the previous president, Jacob Zuma”.

Also under investigation by Booysen was police Colonel Navin Madhoe, who allegedly tried to bribe Booysen with R1.5 million to stop the investigation.
More at : https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/crime/2077056/johan-booysen-calls-nomgcobo-jiba-a-liar/

Sneeky

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Any idea what is happening here? It was supposed to be 30 minute lunch break. It has been 1 hour 20 minutes since then..

https://www.enca.com/news/live-video-hofmeyr-still-hot-seat-mokgoro-inquiry
Its complicated: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mokgoro-inquiry-hofmeyr-wants-to-make-a-considered-decision-about-implicating-himself-20190206

Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions Willie Hofmeyr told the Mokgoro inquiry that he was not in a position to be cross-examined on comments Supreme Court of Appeal judges made in the October 2017 "spy tapes" judgment, in which adverse findings were made against him.

His advocate, Annade Theart, told retired Constitutional Court Justice Yvonne Mokgoro, who chairs the inquiry, that he needed to make a considered decision on whether or not he might implicate himself.
Theart pointed out that the inquiry was not about Hofmeyr's conduct but about Jiba's and Mrwebi's fitness to hold office.

She also said they were concerned that the opportunity to cross-examine Hofmeyr might be "abused" and that he might be the subject of an inquiry process which was not properly constituted.
"There is absolutely no indication at all by Mr Hofmeyr that he wasn't prepared to give evidence. He is prepared to give evidence...the problem was the extent at which he would be cross-examined.

"Mr Hofmeyr says that he would refrain from commenting on issues that might implicate him. He would like to make a considered decision about whether he might possibly implicate himself or not, which he hasn't had the opportunity to do at this point because he doesn't know which questions might be asked," Theart said.
After the arguments, Mokgoro ruled that Jiba's lawyers could continue to cross-examine Hofmeyr on comments the judges made.

However, she added that Hofmeyr could consult a senior counsel.

Hofmeyr is expected to return to the inquiry on a date which counsel agree upon.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Thank you president Cyril ramazuma. We all worship at the feet of our new God king

schumi

Honorary Master
I was wrong to withdraw Zuma graft charges – Hofmeyr

The inquiry heard that the decision not to prosecute Zuma in 2009 was taken by then head of the NPA, Mokotedi Mpshe, and Hofmeyr supported him.
Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions Willie Hofmeyr today conceded he got it wrong when he supported a decision to withdraw corruption charges against former President Jacob Zuma.
Hofmeyr was in the hot seat at the Mokgoro inquiry which is probing the fitness of two top suspended advocates, Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi, to hold office.
He was facing questions regarding the withdrawal of charges Zuma, which was later found by the courts to be irrational.
Initially, Hofmeyr did not want to answer, saying it went beyond the scope of the inquiry.
More at: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/state-capture/2081230/i-was-wrong-to-withdraw-zuma-graft-charges-hofmeyr/

schumi

Honorary Master
#MokgoroInquiry: Decision to not release spy tapes was a collective one - Jiba’s lawyer argues

The decision to not release tapes/transcripts in the "spy tapes" saga was a collective one, the Mokgoro Inquiry heard on Monday.
The inquiry has been tasked with establishing whether two of the country's most senior prosecutors - suspended deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Nomgcobo Jiba and special director of public prosecutions Lawrence Mrwebi - are fit for office.
Advocate Norman Arendse, SC, who represents Jiba, put it to deputy NDPP Willie Hofmeyr that his original submission indicated that he played a collective role in the decision-making at the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA). This would have included the call to not release the tapes/transcripts in the "spy tapes" saga.
"Let's talk about the National Prosecuting Authority as an institution. You talked about meetings where you would discuss things as a collective. Is that right?" Arendse asked during cross-examination.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mokgoroinquiry-decision-to-not-release-spy-tapes-was-a-collective-one-jibas-lawyer-argues-20190211

schumi

Honorary Master
Hofmeyr: Jiba, Mrwebi responsible for decline in serious corruption cases at NPA

PRETORIA - Deputy prosecutions boss Willie Hofmeyr says there's been systematic attempts within the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) over the last seven years to avoid prosecuting senior politicians for corruption.
Hofmeyr made the submission while being cross-examined at the Mokoro Commission of Inquiry in Centurion on Monday.
The hearings have focused on the adverse findings made against Hofmeyr in the Supreme Court of Appeal spy tapes judgment.
Hofmeyr has linked advocates Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi to an apparent decline in serious corruption cases being instituted.
More at: https://ewn.co.za/2019/02/11/hofmeyr-jiba-mrwebi-responsible-for-decline-in-serious-corruption-cases-at-npa

schumi

Honorary Master
Jiba 'extremely displeased' as Agrizzi ditches Mokgoro inquiry

Suspended deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Nomgcobo Jiba says she is "extremely displeased" because former Bosasa COO Angelo Agrizzi will no longer testify at the Mokgoro inquiry.
The inquiry, headed by former Constitutional Court Justice Yvonne Mokgoro, has been tasked with establishing whether Jiba and special director of public prosecutions Lawrence Mrwebi are fit for office.
Inquiry spokesperson, Bongiwe Gambu, confirmed to News24 on Thursday that Agrizzi would no longer testify as expected.
"He has been advised about his constitutional rights in light of the pending serious criminal charges against him," she said.
Gambu said Agrizzi told the inquiry in writing that, if his position changed, he will immediately inform the panel.
Agrizzi testified at the Zondo commission of inquiry into state capture.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/jiba-extremely-displeased-as-agrizzi-ditches-mokgoro-inquiry-20190214

schumi

Honorary Master
Mokgoro Inquiry: 'Jiba kept me in the dark' - deputy NDPP

Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Nomvula Mokhatla has revealed that she was kept in the dark on high-profile cases which suspended deputy prosecutions boss Nomgcobo Jiba had been involved in.
Testifying at the Mokgoro inquiry in Centurion, Mokhatla said that when Jiba became the acting National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP), she changed the strategy and operations of the legal adviser division (LAD), which Mokhatla headed.
The inquiry was established to investigate whether two of the country's most senior prosecutors – Jiba and special director of public prosecutions Lawrence Mrwebi – are fit for office.
According to Mokhatla, Jiba reduced her division's mandate and told her, in a meeting in her office in 2012, that "certain services would no longer be rendered from within LAD, but would be dealt with by the national prosecuting services with immediate effect".
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mokgoro-inquiry-jiba-kept-me-in-the-dark-deputy-ndpp-20190214

schumi

Honorary Master
Former police minister Mthethwa was part of Cato Manor arrests plot – Booysen

Former police minister Nathi Mthethwa, an ally of ex-president Jacob Zuma, allegedly "wielded pressure on prosecutors" to have Major General Johan Booysen and members of the Cato Manor organised crime unit arrested on racketeering charges.
Booysen, in an affidavit filed on Friday in support of an application to have the charges dropped, says he has proof that there was a meeting between Mthethwa and prosecutors in March 2012, prior to their arrests.
"It is irregular for the minister of police to interfere with prosecutors," he says.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/former-police-minister-mthethwa-was-part-of-cato-manor-arrests-plot-booysen-20190215

schumi

Honorary Master
'They gave it to someone else'- Mrwebi on R10k 'bribe' from Agrizzi

Centurion - Top National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) prosecutor Adv Lawrence Mrwebi has dismissed claims made by former Bosasa boss Angelo Agrizzi that he was paid R10 000 month to allow the facilities company bosses to avoid prosecution by the NPA.
“They gave it to someone else,” he said, denying claims made by Agrizzi before the Zondo Commission probing state capture in the country last month.
On Wednesday, Mrwebi denied Agrizzi’s testimony while appearing before the Mokgoro inquiry which is probing his fitness, along with Adv Nomgcobo Jiba, to hold office in the NPA.
He was emphatic that he never received payments of R10 000 monthly from Bosasa in exchange of providing the facilities company bosses with sensitive information about NPA’s plans to charge senior Bosasa officials with racketeering, fraud and corruption.
Agrizzi had alleged that Mrwebi and Jiba were instrumental in providing them with several prosecutorial memorandums which prosecutors, such as former NPA top commercial crime prosecutor Glynnis Breytenbach, had intended to use against Bosasa officials.
Mrwebi’s dismissal of Agrizzi’s testimony was preceded by other series of denials which included allegations that had assisted former police commissioner, Jackie Selebi in his failed attempt to avoid criminal prosecution.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/they-gave-it-to-someone-else-mrwebi-on-r10k-bribe-from-agrizzi-19404710

schumi

Honorary Master
'I have no reason to favour Mdluli' - Lawrence Mrwebi testifies

Suspended special director of public prosecutions, Lawrence Mrwebi, told the Mokgoro Inquiry that he never met former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli and had no reason to favour him.
Mrwebi took the stand for the first time on Wednesday to respond to his detractors and accusers.
"I have no reason to favour Mdluli. Bring the evidence. Let's apply the law," Mrwebi told the inquiry, which is headed by retired justice of the Constitutional Court, Yvonne Mokgoro.
Mdluli faced charges of fraud, theft and corruption for allegedly pillaging the Crime Intelligence slush fund.
"I have no reason to favour anybody when I take a decision. The fact that the person might be hated does not influence my decision," he said.
He told the inquiry that he knew Mdluli from reading about him in newspapers.
He said when he took his decision to withdraw the charges, he received representations from Mdluli's lawyers. He then asked the prosecutors for a report and the docket.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/i-have-no-reason-to-favour-mdluli-lawrence-mrwebi-testifies-20190220

surface

Executive Member
aww..shame.. she was "amazed and hurt" when the NPA turned the tables and charged her for doing her work.

schumi

Honorary Master
Mokgoro inquiry: 'I faced unprecedented attacks not recorded in South African history' - Jiba

Suspended deputy national director of public prosecutions Nomgcobo Jiba told the Mokgoro inquiry that she was shocked to hear her colleagues say she was not qualified to lead the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).
Jiba took the stand for the first time on Thursday to respond to allegations levelled against her at the inquiry, headed by retired Constitutional Court justice, Yvonne Mokgoro. The inquiry has been tasked with establishing whether Jiba and special director of public prosecutions Lawrence Mrwebi are fit for office.
"I faced unprecedented attacks not recorded in South African history," she testified.
Jiba said when she was appointed as a prosecutor in 1988, she never dreamt she would one day serve the country as a deputy national director of public prosecutions.
"I am very passionate about being a prosecutor," she testified.
"The inquiry is a platform I hope to heal from, whatever the outcome. What is comforting is that it (the inquiry) is held in the public, so my critics can see the truth.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mokgoro-inquiry-i-faced-unprecedented-attacks-not-recorded-in-south-african-history-jiba-20190221

schumi

Honorary Master
Nomgcobo Jiba refutes Bosasa payments: 'My salary comes from the NPA'
Embattled deputy national director of public prosecutions Nomgcobo Jiba has denied under oath that she received any bribe money from Bosasa or meeting anyone involved with the controversial company.
Testifying before the inquiry into her and advocate Lawrence Mrwebi’s fitness to hold office, Jiba said she had never received any money from Bosasa and was not involved in the cases involving the company.
"I have never met Agrizzi, I have never met Mti. Somebody, somewhere, maybe, must have been receiving money - I just don’t know who that person is but that person is not me" Jiba said.

More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2019-02-21-nomgcobo-jiba-refutes-bosasa-payments-my-salary-comes-from-the-npa/