Jiba can return to NPA after court finds misconduct 'not established' [UPDATE] Nomgcobo Jiba, Lawrence Mrwebi must go, says Yvonne Mokgoro

surface

Expert Member
Only if you are the type who willfully choose to ignore things, these two are not the first to be fired by Ramaphosa.
You know what. Sometimes, I just give in to our toddler. Same way I feel like let Cyril bloody handover presidency to Mabuza or yengeni and let the beeching stop.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

R13...

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Interesting article asking "why" they threw away their careers to support Zuma acolytes: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/art...s-large-over-jiba-and-mrwebis-conduct-at-npa/
Just after Zuma appointed Jiba as DNDPP, the former President had pardoned Jiba’s husband Sikhumbuzo Booker Nhantsi, who was serving a five-year prison sentence for stealing R193 000 of estate money while practising as an attorney. The Minister of Justice had recommended to Zuma that the request for a pardon be refused. Yet Zuma ignored this advice and pardoned the husband of the very person who would have the final say on whether the NPA’s actions in the spy tape matter would assist or hinder Zuma’s efforts to avoid prosecution.
But why would Mrwebi take the risk of ruining his career to protect the rather dubious Richard Mdluli? Well, we now know that crime intelligence representatives secretly visited Mrwebi and made representations to him about the dropping of charges against Mdluli.

Last edited:

Sneeky

Honorary Master
They will fight tooth and nail, cause effectively they are now excluded from any other freebie governmental post here on in. No convenient redeployment options.

ponder

Honorary Master
north gauteng high court rules agains jiba and mrwebi
supreme court of appeals overules the high court
president establishes commission which effectively 'overules' the sca

Is this chain of events accurate?
How far do the powers of a presidential commission of enquiry extend?
Who holds the commision & president accountable should they have erred?

Sorry have not been following this story but am interested in the seperation of powers angle, role of the courts and possible use of nefarious commissions.

Last edited:

Nick333

Honorary Master
north gauteng high court rules agains jiba and mrwebi
supreme court of appeals overules the high court
president establishes commission which effectively 'overules' the sca

Is this chain of events accurate?

Sorry have not being following this story but am interested in the seperation of powers angle, role of the courts and possible us of nefarious commissions.
Back in the day the Scots had three verdicts. Guilty, not guilty, and not proven. Basically, you done it, you didn't do it, and we can't prove you did shyt. The Scots gave us the telephone is all I'm saying.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
They will fight tooth and nail, cause effectively they are now excluded from any other freebie governmental post here on in. No convenient redeployment options.
What about the golden handshakes the dirty ANC are so well known for?

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Back in the day the Scots had three verdicts. Guilty, not guilty, and not proven. Basically, you done it, you didn't do it, and we can't prove you did shyt. The Scots gave us the telephone is all I'm saying.
and when all else fails, off with ye head!

Aye!

Gordon_R

Executive Member

Sorry have not been following this story but am interested in the seperation of powers angle, role of the courts and possible use of nefarious commissions.
A bit lazy, but fair question. The executive and judiciary are independent and overlapping, subject to the constitution.

Any executive decision can be taken on legal review. However this can only be overturned if the decision is irrational or unlawful (Zuma/Abrahams). No court can second guess the executive, unless it is a human rights issue (SASSA).

In this case the Commission establishes the facts, then the executive decides. Trying to overturn the factual findings is going to be an uphill struggle. Overturning an executive decision has no chance of success (Moyane).

There have been a number of such cases (Mandela, Mbeki, etc), though the details all differ slightly. Pierre de Vos is a good source.

Edit : There are checks and balances, which can sometimes fail the other way. No court can remove the Public Protector, no matter how incompetent. Only a two thirds majority in Parliament can do this.

Last edited:

Sneeky

Honorary Master
She seems hell bent on the Booysen case, wanting justice for 20 or so black folks when reading her statement as presented in the press.

Odd as everyone else and their dog said there was no case against him,

Maybe she is right, and maybe I win the lotto today.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
She seems hell bent on the Booysen case, wanting justice for 20 or so black folks when reading her statement as presented in the press.

I haven't looked in detail, but prosecutors are supposed to be objective. "Hell bent on wanting justice" is not a criterion for any public official, whether true or not. It seems like PR bullshit, given the general state of law and order in this country...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

She is hell bent on it I reckon because if she let's it go he will make sure she ends up behind bars.... Along with most of the other corrupt fsckers he was after...

Gordon_R

Executive Member
She is hell bent on it I reckon because if she let's it go he will make sure she ends up behind bars.... Along with most of the other corrupt fsckers he was after...
True: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/art...-no-holding-back-a-straight-cop-on-a-mission/
Official telephone calls intercepted by the police’s Crime Intelligence Unit showed how on the day of Madhoe’s arrest, Panday was on the phone with a business partner, allegedly a relative of former president Jacob Zuma, named Deebo Mazobe. Panday was livid.

Who on earth did Booysen think he was, behaving “like the Mafia”.

It was time to “clip” his wings.

Soon after, media reports about the Cato Manor death squad surfaced, later leading to Booysen’s arrest.