Jive: Another sugar tax "victim"

ld13

Honorary Master
Anyone notice the incognito change in the sugar levels in Jive? I could not understand why my cooldrink tasted funny after not drinking any for quite some time. Turned the bottle - shock horror - only 4% sugar + aspartame. They changed it without dropping the price and without doing the right thing by informing the consumer, as Coke did, keeping the original on the market and supplementing it with their cheaper "Same taste, now with less sugar" alternative.

This is skylie @The Beverage Company / Jive. So same product, same barcode, less sugar, same price? Bastards. Where is that fridge with the Pepsi...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Why are you complaining, OP? The beverage company reduced the levels of a toxin in it's drinks.

Cray

Honorary Master
Sugar man, won't you hurry
Cause I'm tired of these scenes
For a blue coin won't you bring back
All those colors to my dreams
Silver magic ships you carry
Jumpers, coke, sweet Mary Jane
Not that kind of sugar. :ROFL:

ld13

Honorary Master
Why are you complaining, OP? The beverage company reduced the levels of a toxin in it's drinks.

Because I bought product A from Jive, and got (A-b).

Jive swapped the toxin for a cheaper toxin, without making it clear to the consumer, while still keeping the price the same. Coke kept product X, as-is, introduced alternative Z and I opted for the product with less sugar in it. Heck, I still water down all my sugary drinks with soda water as I always did to regulate the amount of sugar in them.

If I buy product X from coke, I get product X. If I buy Z, I get Z.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Because I bought product A from Jive, and got (A-b).

Jive swapped the toxin for a cheaper toxin, without making it clear to the consumer, while still keeping the price the same. Coke kept product X, as-is, introduced alternative Z and I opted for the product with less sugar in it. Heck, I still water down all my sugary drinks with soda water as I always did to regulate the amount of sugar in them.

If I buy product X from coke, I get product X. If I buy Z, I get Z.
Que? They only kept Coke as is. Fanta, Spar Letta, Sprite etc. they all changed ilke Jive is doing now.

Sensorei

Executive Member
What's ridiculous is that Energade, the official sports drink of the Springbok rugby team, have also dropped the sugar content to 4%. What is the point of an energy drink if they are taking the energy out of it. You need glucose to refuel doing hardcore cardio intense sports.

Same thing with powerade, the 2 oceans marathon sponsors :ROFL:. Do they think the runners are going to replenish themselves with sweetener?

ld13

Honorary Master
Do you want to pay R24 for a 2l Jive also?

If that was the price to get the original taste, with sugar, sure. It is not about the price. It is about changing the fundamental taste of a product, in order to save money, without giving the consume a choice.

Nothing compares to Jive - even before this sugar saga - all of the other competitors tasted horrible compared to Jive.

Now Jive tastes just as horrible. Although I just tried Jive's version of spar letta, and it was not that bad. The aspartame is not that dominant compared to my favourite Jive, the Passion Fruit and Lemonade.

Que? They only kept Coke as is. Fanta, Spar Letta, Sprite etc. they all changed ilke Jive is doing now.

They kept Coke it as-is, and I still buy it at times. I don't buy sprite etc anymore due to this change.

tRoN

Executive Member
I’m sure the OP and the masses would have also complained if the price went up using the same amount of sugar.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t

ld13

Honorary Master
I’m sure the OP and the masses would have also complained if the price went up using the same amount of sugar.
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t

Nope. I was proud of them as they somehow managed to remain on the same price even after the sugar tax kicked in. To date the price remains about the same as it has always been - going between R9 and R13 for a 2l. I would not have complained if they increased the price.

I would drink my (soda)-watered down original Jive at R24/2L any day over (soda)-watered down Aspartame-inspired Jive.

Anybody tried the coffee coke yet?

I think I prefer the Lime Coke. Even the Coke energy tastes ok at best. From all the odd additions I still prefer Vanilla Coke.

kolaval

Executive Member
Because they do not own the whole market and hence cannot charge ridiculous prices.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
If that was the price to get the original taste, with sugar, sure. It is not about the price. It is about changing the fundamental taste of a product, in order to save money, without giving the consume a choice.

Nothing compares to Jive - even before this sugar saga - all of the other competitors tasted horrible compared to Jive.

Now Jive tastes just as horrible. Although I just tried Jive's version of spar letta, and it was not that bad. The aspartame is not that dominant compared to my favourite Jive, the Passion Fruit and Lemonade.

They kept Coke it as-is, and I still buy it at times. I don't buy sprite etc anymore due to this change.
I don't becuase they jacked the price and Coke Zero tastes like crap. Prefer Pepsi Max.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Nope. I was proud of them as they somehow managed to remain on the same price even after the sugar tax kicked in. To date the price remains about the same as it has always been - going between R9 and R13 for a 2l. I would not have complained if they increased the price.

I would drink my (soda)-watered down original Jive at R24/2L any day over (soda)-watered down Aspartame-inspired Jive.

I think I prefer the Lime Coke. Even the Coke energy tastes ok at best. From all the odd additions I still prefer Vanilla Coke.
Cherry Coke for me - but we don't get that here