• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

JMPD recording Name and ID No at road block - "Not a Fine"

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So I got pulled over this morning on the M19 under the Heidelberg Road Bridge near the Market.
JMPD officer checked my driver's licence, vehicle licence and brakes.
She then used my Driver's licence to record my name and ID number onto a clipboard and some kind of register.
When I asked her what that was for she said "Don't worry, it's not a fine"
Why would JMPD need that kind of information?
And does whatever they are doing with this information comply with the POPI act?

So I got pulled over this morning on the M19 under the Heidelberg Road Bridge near the Market.
JMPD officer checked my driver's licence, vehicle licence and brakes.
She then used my Driver's licence to record my name and ID number onto a clipboard and some kind of register.
When I asked her what that was for she said "Don't worry, it's not a fine"
Why would JMPD need that kind of information?
And does whatever they are doing with this information comply with the POPI act?
Did she actually write it down? Not scan the license with those machines?

If they scan it it's fine. If she's writing it down manually I would be very suspicious tbh.

eg2505

Honorary Master
checking how many motorists pass through a specific point?

weird check I must admit, if it was JHB, Id say Etolls, but who knows in CPT?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

If they scan it it's fine. If she's writing it down manually I would be very suspicious tbh.
It was a photocopied sheet of paper with about 20 lines on the pages in columns and lines.
There were about ten people recorded above mine.
The only reason I hope is to prove that she was doing her job, but surely there are other ways of doing that?
Somebody could us this info to track my daily route and activities. Snd she could also have written other info down after I drove away (Registration, make of vehicle, etc.)

buyeye

Expert Member

I wouldn't worry too much. Government departments are so backwards that they might only have one scanner and it was somewhere else and some manager decided that she needs to record the people she stops manually to prove that she actually worked today.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
JMPD is getting in on the selling of data. Pretty soon you'll start getting adverts of licence plate flippers and the like.

It was a photocopied sheet of paper with about 20 lines on the pages in columns and lines.
There were about ten people recorded above mine.
The only reason I hope is to prove that she was doing her job, but surely there are other ways of doing that?
Somebody could us this info to track my daily route and activities. Snd she could also have written other info down after I drove away (Registration, make of vehicle, etc.)
Coupled with your ID number and she has your full names... eish.

Can't be legal tbh.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I wonder what part of JMPD and Heidelberg made you think it wasn't in JHB...
my bad, thought it was WP/CPT area, as so many posters are from there.

etolls, must be, only possible reason to ask for your ID book and license number,

evilskaap

I've had it too on the N1. At the same time I also received a little slip that indicated that I was pulled over for a random check and no fine was issued.

This was > 5 years ago.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I've had it too on the N1. At the same time I also received a little slip that indicated that I was pulled over for a random check and no fine was issued.

This was > 5 years ago.
First time it's happened to me, and I get pulled over about once a week at road blocks.

Nithan15

Expert Member
Happened to me on my way to DBN at Bergview was pulled over and the dude decided to write down my information, when I questioned him. He said it was for stats purposes they chck on how many cars they stop in a day.