Joburg estate bans Uber and Uber Eats drivers

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have an elderly family member who is legally blind, he don't drive anywhere and make use of taxis. He bought a unit in a security complex for the security and convenience of not being able to look after the unit. He often goes for eye surgery and then the taxi drops him back off at his unit in the complex. He won't be able to find his house when dropped off at the gate.

If such a rule is introduced that would be highly unfair
He should just go to the meetings and discuss it. No rules can be passed until there is a consensus.

isie

Honorary Master
I have an elderly family member who is legally blind, he don't drive anywhere and make use of taxis. He bought a unit in a security complex for the security and convenience of not being able to look after the unit. He often goes for eye surgery and then the taxi drops him back off at his unit in the complex. He won't be able to find his house when dropped off at the gate.

If such a rule is introduced that would be highly unfair
He should just go to the meetings and discuss it. No rules can be passed until there is a consensus.
beat me to it again :)

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Closet racism, "we don't want black people in our complex".

We get it all the time with our CPF.... "there's two BM's walking down the road"...
Maybe BM's should stop being such a statistic?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Security is an illusion. Your best security is what YOU put up and maintain and inspect for yourself! If you are gonna rely on other people to do it for you, then prepare for there to be slip-ups.
I prefer my estate security illusion with 3m walls, electric fencing, access control and patrolling guards.

I still have my burglar bars, security door, "nudge lock" and my PIR light outside but I sleep WAY better at night than I would in a traditional home.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If you take estate loving vs non estate living you are probably right... But if you compare estates at certain levels to their equivalent suburban areas I don't think it's that different...
Right - there was a break in at a complex in Bryanston. Looks like a fancy place but there are no guards at the gate. So somebody opened for the criminals, they stuck a sticker over the eye and robbed the houses.

Just goes to show that not all estates are created equal. I get that the guards can be "in on it" but it's better than not having them.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Right - there was a break in at a complex in Bryanston. Looks like a fancy place but there are no guards at the gate. So somebody opened for the criminals, they stuck a sticker over the eye and robbed the houses.

Just goes to show that not all estates are created equal. I get that the guards can be "in on it" but it's better than not having them.
The other one I've heard of a few times.... Guys rent a place in the complex and then have free reign inside... go on a spree for a night or two, and then "move out" with a full truck of stuff...

smi

Expert Member
Yes it is and the best clickety click sound is when it runs empty

wbot

I live at the very back of a complex and I would be pissed if they ban any delivery drivers from entering.

Then again I can understand why they would do that. We've had quite a few break ins in my complex over the years. Electric fences have been cut or destroyed and perimeter walls have been taken apart to gain access to the complex. And just last year criminals who pretended to be plumbers or whatever drove through the complex and broke into six units in broad daylight, all on the same day. No one saw or heard anything but the bakkie was caught on cctv cameras. The very next day the same bakkie was seen parked across the street in front of our complex along with another car, probably waiting for the gate to open. One no-nonsense lady who's also on the body corporate confronted them and told them the police is on the way. They got out, threatened her and a gardener who was with her and pushed them around before driving off.

We do not have security guards at the gate. We only have cctv cameras, electric fences and alarms. Since that day though we have a security company that regularly patrols the complex throughout the day, every day. They even drive through the complex at 2/3am. Haven't had any break ins or anything since that I know of.

There are 3 other complexes next to ours and they've all had the exact same problems with crime. Funnily enough criminals have targeted our complexes way more than the normal houses in the area even though I think we have better security than your average house. I still like complex living though. Wouldn't mind living in a complex all my life.

Our body corporate and rules are super strict but yeah I can't see them ever banning any delivery guys or couriers. Not gonna happen. It would that would just cause riots in our complex :p Pretty much everyone else apart from your guests are banned from entering though.