Joburg power lines do not give off harmful radiation – City Power

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
96,665
Someone needs to stop interacting with the real world...
 

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
1,692
all my jackets have a space blanket inner sewn in to prevent these things.
a foil hat also helps.
 

Messugga

Honorary Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2007
Messages
11,777
Rode my mountainbike under so high voltage power lines the other day. It induced a current in my seat's rails, which when my thighs touched it, gave me a bit of a shock. It felt like a needle pricking my skin. Quite an interesting experience.
Harmful? I wouldn't want to live near the high power lines.
 

OneKnight

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
272
I remember Richard Hammond sticking a fluorescent light into the ground underneath high voltage power lines, and it switched on.

Cannot find the clip now, but here is an example.

[video=youtube;tRLNNrHg2QE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRLNNrHg2QE[/video]
 

Gnome

Executive Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
6,396
Rode my mountainbike under so high voltage power lines the other day. It induced a current in my seat's rails, which when my thighs touched it, gave me a bit of a shock. It felt like a needle pricking my skin. Quite an interesting experience.
Harmful? I wouldn't want to live near the high power lines.

When I walk on a carpet and touch something metallic it gives me a shock. Harmful? Not sure but I'm considering getting rid of my carpets.
I have other things that also generate a charge in metallic conductors and considering getting rid of them also.

Tesla is a magician and transformers (which rely on electromagnetic induction) is black magic that causes cancer.

38.5% of the population get cancer and they have all been exposed to transformers. It confirms the theory.
 

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2015
Messages
2,330
When I walk on a carpet and touch something metallic it gives me a shock. Harmful? Not sure but I'm considering getting rid of my carpets.
I have other things that also generate a charge in metallic conductors and considering getting rid of them also.

Tesla is a magician and transformers (which rely on electromagnetic induction) is black magic that causes cancer.

38.5% of the population get cancer and they have all been exposed to transformers. It confirms the theory.

There's a solution to this - all people like yourself get to live under HTs at a discount while people like him can live elsewhere.
 

Gnome

Executive Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
6,396
I remember Richard Hammond sticking a fluorescent light into the ground underneath high voltage power lines, and it switched on.

Cannot find the clip now, but here is an example.

So they place a light in the ground near a cable that uses a grounded neutral, with a very high potential and a large electromagnetic field surrounding it.
And it lights up?

Amazing, it is almost like everyday household items such as transformers are based on this very same principle but when I see it here it is 1000x more scary and probably causes cancer.
 

Gnome

Executive Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
6,396
There's a solution to this - all people like yourself get to live under HTs at a discount while people like him can live elsewhere.

High power transmission lines are ugly.
And if it breaks, it is a serious danger and serious fire hazard.
That is why they don't build houses directly underneath them.
And yes, the potential difference between the cable and ground is enormous.
So you get things like corona which is noisy + you can get a discharge to ground in the case of serious moisture.

But the science behind it is very well understood.
The principle of induction is used in everyday life.
I have a wireless cellphone charger that does the same thing.

People are installing seriously high power stoves now that make use of induction.
And they heat up actual pans, that uses WAY more power than those silly little bulbs.

They probably cause cancer too :erm:

I guess the sound of corona on HV lines makes them far more menacing even though a common household induction stove emits just as much energy albeit in a much less flashy way
 
Top