Joburg power sabotaged, says City Power

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Told you it was hackers. Amazing how CoJ can't take responsibility for anything

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Well you know what they say about coincidences: they take a lot of planning.

I mean whats the chances of a major power outage like this happening just as workers illegally down tools. I think they or their u ion should be criminally charged and then also be liable for the damage they caused in electronics failing, food spoiling in fridges etc.

R13...

Honorary Master
The strike is illegal so you can't charge the union. The workers you would need proof.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I hope CoJ goes after these saboteurs with the same vigour that they're pursuing MagicDude

creeper

Executive Member
Why can't I get Beastie Boys - Sabotage out of my head. :)

The problem is that there is no such thing as an 'illegal' strike in SA. Only unprotected. There is no consequences to the actions. They strike 'illegally', there is court interdict, the strikers ignore it, back to court, then you fire them, then they go on a rampage, they get rehired.

The laws need to change that the unions need to be accountable for the actions of their members.

//rant done//

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Magicdude is taking this too far now. ;)

Hahahaha - it is actually quite shocking to hear that more than 50% of strikes in this country are illegal. If the COJ had proper disaster planning in place, even a walkout of essential services staff (with sabotage etc) would not cause such issue. Driving through suburbs of Fourways this morning it is shocking to see how many areas are without water (must be now 4 days), forcing residents to collect water from the street.

It is puzzling that essential services such as COJ, SAPS, SAPO, medical staff are allowed to down tools and face no consequences. In my mind, the should fire the lot and bring in overseas engineers (Russia / India / China has a huge surplus) - you will find that you will reduce the amount of staff and save.

City Power will very soon be hailed as "heroes" for fixing the power issues and everything will carry on as normal.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Hahahaha - it is actually quite shocking to hear that more than 50% of strikes in this country are illegal. If the COJ had proper disaster planning in place, even a walkout of essential services staff (with sabotage etc) would not cause such issue. Driving through suburbs of Fourways this morning it is shocking to see how many areas are without water (must be now 4 days), forcing residents to collect water from the street.

It is puzzling that essential services such as COJ, SAPS, SAPO, medical staff are allowed to down tools and face no consequences. In my mind, the should fire the lot and bring in overseas engineers (Russia / India / China has a huge surplus) - you will find that you will reduce the amount of staff and save.

City Power will very soon be hailed as "heroes" for fixing the power issues and everything will carry on as normal.

Given the scale out the outages in Joburg last night, and given that the SABC was still reporting Eskom loading in the red and exhorting people to switch off, I think the grid would have collapsed last night had City Power actually been working.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Generators currently on special at Game, Makro, Builders WH etc. I suggest we all get one.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
given that the SABC was still reporting Eskom loading in the red and exhorting people to switch off,
Surely by now you know that its bull****

In any case, I heard old f***tard Louis Pieterse on the radio yesterday, telling all about the "protection systems can laaik to haff been tirrned off manuelly" but he is too effing lazy to get off his fat arse and go and simply turn on the power.

grok

Honorary Master
Africa isn't called the dark continent for nothing ..