Joburg residents can't buy electricity due to ransomware attack

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joburg residents can't buy electricity due to ransomware attack

City Power confirmed on Twitter this morning that it has been hit by a ransomware attack which compromised its web server, databases, applications, and network.

Ransomware encrypts everything it can reach from the victim’s machine and holds the information hostage, usually demanding a Bitcoin payment from the victim for the private key needed to decrypt the information.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
There is a new one called BlueKeep which is starting up

Microsoft issued a security patch (including an out-of-band update for several versions of Windows that have reached their end-of-life, such as Windows XP) on 14 May 2019.

So City Power IT are just useless for not updating daily. SMH.

hellfire

Honorary Master
From the article:
“Customers may not be able to visit our website and may not be able to buy electricity units until our ICT department has sorted the matter out, Customers and stakeholders will be updated as and when new information becomes available.”

Does that mean I must bypass my meter once I run out of electricity, until this is resolved (no ETA)?

lowriderza

Expert Member
Ipd
Microsoft issued a security patch (including an out-of-band update for several versions of Windows that have reached their end-of-life, such as Windows XP) on 14 May 2019.

So City Power IT are just useless for not updating daily. SMH.
Updates and monitoring is not actually the solution one needs to implement EDR solutions to block ransomware. Anything else is being reactive to the problem.

eg2505

Honorary Master
am actually concerned now,

how can one find out if your prepaid meter falls under city power or ekululeni?
still got units but not sure if ill be able to reload now.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
am actually concerned now,

how can one find out if your prepaid meter falls under city power or ekululeni?
still got units but not sure if ill be able to reload now.
Where do you live?