Joburg suburb wants to kick out Eskom and get private gas power

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Joburg suburb wants to kick out Eskom and get private gas power

A section of the Linbro Park suburb near Sandton in Johannesburg wants to ditch Eskom and get electricity from a private power producer instead, Sunday newspaper Rapport reports.

Greenstone Energy has asked the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) to supply the area with electricity using gas-powered plants.

It would serve 1,781 households, three offices, two schools, two churches, a hotel, and a conference centre.

Eskom's gonna have to pay their "saboteurs" extra money to start sabotaging someone else.

Egoli Gas pipeline.

Googling the company, they do a wind, solar and gas system, not just pure gas.

I do wonder as to the cost, since they an do renewable for most of it and then gas peak, they should be able to be cheaper than Eskom.
It's cheaper than 66 days of extra loadshedding.

Old houses from Sea Point to Camps Bay, still have the old copper pipes in their gardens, from when the area ran on gas. Yes, gas to power homes used to be a thing.
Johannesburg too, particularly areas in the South.

Old houses from Sea Point to Camps Bay, still have the old copper pipes in their gardens, from when the area ran on gas. Yes, gas to power homes used to be a thing.
It's a thing in Emmerantia, and surrounds too. I see the adverts for piped gas in Sandton, but our area is not covered.

I'd give anything to see the threshold increased to 1000MW. And how fast Eskom loses a large chunk of its paying customers.
That is easy to deal with. Hike prices. Everyone pays by means of inflation then.

Would like to see this with the option available to have either or with a choice for the individualcustomers. Not an entire section forced on to all get the same supplier.

Gas wasn't too power homes, it was for heating, cooking and hot water.
The houses didn't have turbines, unless you're referring to the mid Victorian era when they did use gas for lights.

This seems to be the way to go....
Small Towns/Suburbs providing their own power, as Eskom just gonna get worse as their equipment age.

Gas wasn't too power homes, it was for heating, cooking and hot water.
The houses didn't have turbines, unless you're referring to the mid Victorian era when they did use gas for lights.

Yep, my parents last house in Jhb had Egoli gas supply which was used for a gas geyser, stove top, heater, braai, etc. Parts of our and surrounding suburbs have Egoli gas supply and use it for the same purpose, we were too far from the end of the main line so make use of 48kg bottles.

Back