Joburg water and electricity price hikes come into effect on Monday

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
yippi yaddi yey

and people's starting to notice - no more salary increases, no more cost-cutting measures that can be employed to stave off the inevitable.

This is it.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I am paying around R6k for W&L and Rates and Taxes.

200 sqm house, 3 adults, 2 children

I am happy to susidise the poor, but it is becoming very hard to justify this - with all the corruption and inefficiency going around. Not to mention the nauseating feeling I had when I saw all the politicians on the red carpet at the SONA strutting their R100k outfits acting like they celebrities.

eg2505

Honorary Master
question, those with prepaid electricity meters, do these changes happen immediately?
or at next recharge will I see that pesky "service fee"

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I am happy to susidise the poor, but it is becoming very hard to justify this - with all the corruption and inefficiency going around. Not to mention the nauseating feeling I had when I saw all the politicians on the red carpet at the SONA strutting their R100k outfits acting like they celebrities.

Sjoe, that's a lot IMO.

Then again I have been able to keep my total bill in the R2000 to R3000 range for 3 adults by switching to almsot 100% LED lighting and banning the use of electric heaters. I have now installed a geyser blanket, hope that helps against the increases.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Sjoe, that's a lot IMO.

Then again I have been able to keep my total bill in the R2000 to R3000 range for 3 adults by switching to almsot 100% LED lighting and banning the use of electric heaters. I have now installed a geyser blanket, hope that helps against the increases.

I was slightly off.

R1100 - Property Rates
R450 - Sanitation
R350 - Refuse
R1900 - Total COJ bill

R3000 - electricity (mainly due to the winter rate and we use aircons, have a flat roof so it gets cold)
R300 - Water

R5200 - Total

We still have a complex levy of R1200 - but that is our own issue i.e. not so much to do with the municipality.

Athos

Before I use 1 watt of power or 1 drop of water my bill is R 3356.89. So that is going to increase by around 9% now. Yay.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Before I use 1 watt of power or 1 drop of water my bill is R 3356.89. So that is going to increase by around 9% now. Yay.

What is the break-down of that? When comparing to mine, there must be some other charges.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
R937.66 - Property Rates
R309 - Refuse

So a fixed R1266 to CoT before the variables.

Sanitation is based on water used, so that differs monthly, doesn't it?

simonbee

R937.66 - Property Rates
R309 - Refuse

So a fixed R1266 to CoT before the variables.

Sanitation is based on water used, so that differs monthly, doesn't it?

In Johannesburg, the water sanitation is based upon the size of your property, not on how much water you use. My water sanitation cost is often 3 times the cost of the water I used.

Athos

What is the break-down of that? When comparing to mine, there must be some other charges.

Property Rates: R 1551.02 incl vat.

Electricity:
Service Charge: R 123.01 ex vat.
Network Charge: R 362.38 ex vat.
Network Surcharge kWh: R 169 ex vat.

Water and Sanitation:
Demand Management Levy: R 22.64 ex vat.
Sewer monthly charge: R 573.29 ex vat.

Refuse Charge: R 368 incl vat.

Total is R 3356.89 incl vat.

And, I am currently in dispute with them because they "Estimated" that I use 104 units of electricity a day when in reality my average daily usage is 26 units a day. So they more than triple charged me for power over the past 2 months. So not only do I pay through my nose for services but I have to take time out of my life to go and sit and sort this nonsense out.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member

This -> 10000000% this

The media also doesn't help by hyping every political event up like it's the damn Durban July
Call them out on their R100k attire!
It would be a different kettle of fish if the government and it's finances ran like a swiss clock...

The_MAC

Executive Member
The media also doesn't help by hyping every political event up like it's the damn Durban July
Call them out on their R100k attire!

The audacity - people starving, government looting - look at my dress/suit - I put in a half-ass day of honest work in, if even that much, but look at me, I made it to the top... :sick:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Water, rates+taxes and sanitation is R1500, electricity is R500 to R800 depending on months. That's with 3 people in the house, 200sqm house and 900 sqm property.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Water, rates+taxes and sanitation is R1500, electricity is R500 to R800 depending on months. That's with 3 people in the house, 200sqm house and 900 sqm property.

How do you use so little electricity? :crying: Solar or gas geyser? Gas stove? Hand washing of clothes?

The_MAC

Executive Member
How do you use so little electricity? :crying: Solar or gas geyser? Gas stove? Hand washing of clothes?

Will guess, single geyser with blanket, on a timer. Gas stove and LED lights. And probably very little wastage

Lupus

Honorary Master
No idea, just never really used a lot of electricity, whole house is LED lights, TV is LED as well, geyser is set to 55 as well. No gas or solar.