• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Joburg woman, 61, arrested for illegal electricity connection

schumi

Honorary Master
. CAPE TOWN - A 61-year-old woman had been arrested in Sandton for an alleged illegal electricity connection after Eskom disconnected the customer for owing the power utility an estimated R500,000 for her residential property.

In a statement on Tuesday, the power utility said its security investigations department received information that a customer, who had been disconnected earlier for owing Eskom a substantial amount on her residential property, was unlawfully reconnecting the property to the electricity network.

Upon arrival at the location, Eskom’s security team caught the customer in the act. She was subsequently arrested and appeared at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, June 6, on charges of tampering with essential infrastructure and was released on R1,000 bail.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...d-for-illegal-electricity-connection-15940195

CAPE TOWN - A 61-year-old woman had been arrested in Sandton for an alleged illegal electricity connection after Eskom disconnected the customer for owing the power utility an estimated R500,000 for her residential property.
What, she connected the power more than 40 years ago?

What's the average monthly bill up there for residential?

chrisc

Executive Member
Visited a flat in same suburb as I live. There was a piece of wire connecting input and output of pre-paid meter. Reported this to Council in 2014. It is still in place, was at the flat again last month

As far as I can recall, this family have been living there since 2010

Temujin

Expert Member
I take it soweto will be a ghost town soon? Oh wait, their debt gets written off and I have to pay for it

Sinbad

Honorary Master

My average is about R1500 per month. Who knows wtf she was running on it though. No need to be efficient if you're not paying.

LCBXX

Executive Member
Our law-enforcement goes after the softest targets. Why not take a drive to Zandspruit and arrest 50 people making illegal connections amounting to millions of rands lost and both electricity theft and infrastructure damage, not to mention the huge risk to people?
Look at this streetlight at the location from StreetView:
Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Temujin

Expert Member
Our law-enforcement goes after the softest targets. Why not take a drive to Zandspruit and arrest 50 people making illegal connections amounting to millions of rands lost and both electricity theft and infrastructure damage, not to mention the huge risk to people?
Oh that thought... I wonder if a court will throw a case like this out... eskom continually writes off debt owed by large chunks of the population, yet will go after individual soft targets... would a semi decent lawyer be able to argue that they have set a precedent over the years of writing off money owed by illegal connections and therefore she owes them nothing *strokes beard*

spiff

Expert Member
that's rich coming from eskum - she only owes half a bar - BUT the whole of Soweto owes billions

Lupus

Honorary Master
Visited a flat in same suburb as I live. There was a piece of wire connecting input and output of pre-paid meter. Reported this to Council in 2014. It is still in place, was at the flat again last month

As far as I can recall, this family have been living there since 2010
The tenants who were staying in the place I bought had done this to the pre-paid meter. It took 3 months of constant nagging to get the owner to actually fix it so that I could get the house transferred into my name. Most of that was City Power holding it up though sigh.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Look at this streetlight at the location from StreetView:
View attachment 536203
Have you seen the pedestrian bridge? No wonder people don't want to use it, I'm sure at night you can hear it buzzing.

Nick333

Honorary Master

It does sound ridiculous, but it's not impossible. It depends on how long it's been going on for. Over 10 years it works out to just over 4k a month which is not impossible if you're running 2 geezers and a lot of lights which sounds about right for many Sandton properties.

LCBXX

Executive Member
Have you seen the pedestrian bridge? No wonder people don't want to use it, I'm sure at night you can hear it buzzing.
I did not know about this but it makes sense that it would run the bulk of the illegal connections.
Oh that thought... I wonder if a court will throw a case like this out... eskom continually writes off debt owed by large chunks of the population, yet will go after individual soft targets... would a semi decent lawyer be able to argue that they have set a precedent over the years of writing off money owed by illegal connections and therefore she owes them nothing *strokes beard*
I wonder but I doubt it. Eskom will bury her as they have the cash to drag the issue out but not the patience, or courage, to take on the masses.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I did not know about this but it makes sense that it would run the bulk of the illegal connections.

I wonder but I doubt it. Eskom will bury her as they have the cash to drag the issue out.
Actually, they don't.