Joe Biden defeats Trump to win US election

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
5421ea34f884e53dbb2576e7ded77ed9.jpg
In a world where so much is reduced to shades of grey, there are indicators such as the one above that provide an unambiguously clear dividing line.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Okay. That's pretty much the opposite of Greg, then.

I mean, it's tolerant in the extreme unless you can tell exactly who is prepared to follow through with a death threat.

For example, if you believed the person was about to carry out his death threat, I presume you would be prepared to use defensive force. Otherwise your stance sounds like that of a pacifist. Maybe that is your stance.

Ok - so the whole Western Cape thing is just pacifist from you then? So we can ignore you.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
I still don't get why they call Trump a fascist.
If I look at the definition of fascist, then Trump is bad at being a fascist. He may be the least fascist person ever.
Yes I agree. The emperor's clothes are magnificent. I can definitely see those magnificent clothes just like you can. :thumbsup:

greg0205

Honorary Master
I... I... Um...

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

Mr. McConnell, Republican of Kentucky has indicated he wants to see the specific article of impeachment that the House is set to approve on Wednesday, which is expected to draw support from as many as a dozen Republicans, potentially including Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the party’s No. 3 in the House. But he has made clear in private discussions that he believes now is the moment to move on the weakened lame duck, whom he blames for Republicans losing the Senate.

Okay, let's assume the articles are debated and he's impeached tomorrow. The next step would be transmitting them to the Senate.

Except it's in recess.

So... All eyes on Mitch.

If he does nothing, it's Mitch being Mitch and Donnie slides with acquittal... If he convenes the Senate late tomorrow or Thursday, he's sticking the knife in and twisting... Donnie's toast and Mitch is cutting everything Trump out of the GOP.

Caveat: IBIWISI.

lexity

Expert Member
OrbitalDawn said:
Note how you haven't been able to come up with the type of speech that supposedly would do away with these 'bad ideas', which is what you originally argued.
You only know if an idea you have is bad if it is open to being critiqued.

If you don't do this there is only one other way to structure your society ... the Law of the Jungle/Might Makes Right.

If you are not strictly pro-argumentation, you are by definition in favor of authoritarianism as the means for resolving conflict and potential conflict.

You get rid of bad ideas by entering into a competition i.e. the battle of ideas, where both parties win. Because even the so-called loser gets to substitute his bad idea with a better idea.

No force is required.

lexity

Expert Member
Count me in compadre. I hate Republican\Trumpist\Right Wing sh*tbaggery on about the same level as I hate racism, sexism, poverty, violence, pure evil etc etc etc

Apologies if I wasn't making that clear, I'll try harder in future
Right, so... so far just you and Greg0205.

You really, really can't stand Right-wingers.

lexity

Expert Member
Pegasus said:
I still don't get why they call Trump a fascist.
If I look at the definition of fascist, then Trump is bad at being a fascist. He may be the least fascist person ever.
Yes I agree. The emperor's clothes are magnificent. I can definitely see those magnificent clothes just like you can. :thumbsup:
Funny.

My first reaction was, I wonder what Pegasus' definition of 'fascist' is.

Is that a luxury.... To be able to entertain a thought without accepting it?

Or maybe I'm jumping the gun and you already know his definition.

@Pegasus... please share your definition. I'm interested.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Oh, just ever since Trump's victory in 2016, I've been interested why WWC was so strong for him, especially in counties that traditionally have been a bulwark of Democrat support. What's actually going on there, what's the narrative so to speak?
What issues do you think specifically drive Trump's support* among the white working class that wouldn't apply to the non-white working class, that went very much against Trump?

*worth noting there've been a few myths about this.

only about 30 percent, not a majority, of Trump’s supporters were white working-class.

The bigger group is the non-college educated whites, which are distinct from working class.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Okay, well please ask the full question. Otherwise I have to try to work it out by going back to a lot of what I wrote.

Which is always the problem in threads like these. The narrative gets lost amongst normal posts, and multiple individual squabbles.

lexity

Expert Member
Which is always the problem in threads like these. The narrative gets lost amongst normal posts, and multiple individual squabbles.
No. Just ask the question as fully as you can.

You said 'Ok - so the whole Western Cape thing is just pacifist from you then? So we can ignore you.'

But I don't see how the WC thing has anything to do with pacifism.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The person who's name is redacted, who is issuing death threats.

Who else?
How will they find out who it is?

FedEx doesn't have to do jack, unless they contractually undertook to deliver mail bombs.

If that was illegal they could be charged, too.
lol, do you really think that? That FedEx would not be criminally liable if they knowingly shipped explosives?

You're actually advocating legalized 3rd party intrusion into private contracts?
It's already legal.

What does secession have to do with freedom of association?

What doesn't it have to do with it?

Secession is the freedom of association, exercised.

But it's only necessary at a national level when your laws become captured by those who have values obviously contrary to yours.

p.s. Sorry I just re-read the part you were responding to.
Freedom of association between 2 private entities, not seceding from nation states. Bizarre category error.

If Parler publishes the threat, it doesn't stop the person being threatened from taking legal action. Which is what the law is for i.e. for punishing a violator of privacy of person/property.

AWS should be free to associate with whomever they choose. As long as they are not protected from would-be competitors e.g. under the veneer of 'Corporate Responsibility', there is no problem... I mean even if they initially said they would host those in favor of free speech and they broke their contract... this is the real world... a contract is not a guarantee that parties will adhere to it. That's why you put in penalty clauses.
So given their bans already noted, they've broken that contract, have they not?

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Oh, just ever since Trump's victory in 2016, I've been interested why WWC was so strong for him, especially in counties that traditionally have been a bulwark of Democrat support. What's actually going on there, what's the narrative so to speak?
A large component of the answer to your question was posted on the same page you asked it:
As always, read Serwer.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
You only know if an idea you have is bad if it is open to being critiqued.

If you don't do this there is only one other way to structure your society ... the Law of the Jungle/Might Makes Right.

If you are not strictly pro-argumentation, you are by definition in favor of authoritarianism as the means for resolving conflict and potential conflict.

You get rid of bad ideas by entering into a competition i.e. the battle of ideas, where both parties win. Because even the so-called loser gets to substitute his bad idea with a better idea.

No force is required.

What's the better idea to get rid of "we should systematically exterminate liberals"? "No, we shouldn't"?

It's a bit bizarre that you think it's not possible for there to be debate on issues without allowing clear and explicit threats of indiscriminate literal violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.