Johannesburg CBD car dealers

sjm

Hi

Has anyone had any experience dealing with car dealers in the Joburg CBD? I see a number who have vehicles cheaper than most other places and am wondering how reliable the dealers are (as well as why they're so cheap in comparison to others). Some examples

They claim full service histories for the vehicles and bank financing, which lends a veneer of legitimacy. Googling them also doesn't turn up negative reports (turns up very little info actually, which is a warning sign by itself). I'm wary of scams so would like to know if anyone has dealt with any of them and what stories people have

Pho3nix

The Legend
Don’t do it. All accident damaged fixed to a point where you’ll buy them and they’ll break down 10km later.

If it sounds to good to be true...

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I have looked at a couple of vehicles when we were searching for my fiance's car. Funny thing is the cars were never at the specific lot when you rock up to view it, or the guy who has the key to the car lot / storage is not right there and will only be back tomorrow/some other day. Not a single car we were ever interested in was available for viewing, even when we phoned before hand to confirm when and where.

sjm

Yep, am very hesitant to engage with them as it all sounds a bit dodge, but want to confirm with others first

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Also plenty of scams where they sell other people's vehicles on consignment, then never pay the original owner or you never get the registration document (log book) or change of ownership form.

AVOID. Please!

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yep, am very hesitant to engage with them as it all sounds a bit dodge, but want to confirm with others first
Rather move elsewhere. I heard of a case where someone bought a car and later learned it was stolen.

Quixotic

Many bargains. Too good to be true. There will be no after-sales. The receipt and warranty will be of no value. Ensure the asking price has nothing on top once you are ready to buy. They will lie even more so than a typical used-car salesman. Many will be repossessions. Ask to speak to the previous owner - may not be possible, so suspicious. Many will be accident repairs and you will not be able to identify these. They know most are wary of this and will go to some length in concealing this. Perhaps some tell-tale signs but not always conclusive. Arrange your own AA check, Do not trust any existing one or any they agree to arrange, but an AA check is not always effective. Documents will be in order but this does not mean all is ok. It is actually a private sale with all the shady practices of a dodgy dealer. So worst of both worlds, but the price is tempting.

bromster

Executive Member
I saw a gorgeous 2017 Audi A5 for 50k below book. It was continuously being readvertised at the same price for months on end.

I've followed a few listings, specifically on gumtree, which follow the same trend.

My decision was also to avoid.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Don't do it, get out of the CBD. Faith Motors does smell a little Nigerian to me.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I've noticed the exact same car in quite a few instances being sold in different dealerships. Just doesn't seem right to me.

sjm

Those are fine usually
The ones which are concerning are those that seem to share a phone number amongst multiple dealerships, don't seem to have any sort of web / online presence beyond their adverts, are located in dodgy sections of town, have vehicle photos taken in indeterminate streets and are selling cars at prices that are significantly lower than any other dealerships.

I called one of the dealerships as a test yesterday and the person who answered did not announce any company name, just went straight to "Hello, who are you? How can I help you".

Will definitely not do any business with any of them.