Johannesburg launches free Wi-Fi

MeestaR

Expert Member
"Free WiFi" is not free... Anything for free, then you become the product...
I know for a fact, on the Tshwane Free Wi-Fi, you must hand in details before getting your allocated "bundle".
Cellphone number, etc...
I wonder how they justify the cost of your data usage? Bombarding you with ads while being on the captive portal?

John Tempus

Executive Member
"Free" as in tax money stolen from the one end to pay for this trash idea when it could have been used to pay for something far more sustainable.

Well done JHB on attempt no.2 of the same stupid idea yet at a higher budget(bankroll from tax money).

Stokstert

Executive Member
I also want free data, free water, free electricity, free land for undertakers, where does all this and that for free end? The taxpayer gets f...all for free.

Thor

Honorary Master
Why on earth would any international investor rely on "Free wifi"? they don't come here to look for Free wifi to run companies, no company does that. Companies will understand the risk and not use it. I won't touch this "Free wifi". I'd rather pay for my internet connection and know if/when it goes down I can point to someone and get it sorted. Playing the "international investors" card isn't it. Anyway, for anything iot you won't use normal wifi, LoRA is popular for a reason. People investing in iot will know what they need to look at and they will know that a free wifi connection isn't a good thing to center your business around.
Look beyond what it is used for right now.

envo

Expert Member
15GB free per month is quite generous.

If it was per month, I'd agree, but this is limited to 500mb a day, which is quite tiny if you need to get things done and don't need to do other things the rest of the month.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Its a good idea but when ever has a city actually ever provided any workable broadband solution ever???

Neuk_

Executive Member
Please explain the free part again.

Thanks

Ratepayer.

PS.
I don't understand this "free" part as I'm paying rates and taxes and it's not available anywhere I go.
Seems like I'm paying for someone else to get WiFi.
#VoetsekANC

I raised this on MyBB last week in another discussion, this nonsense about anything being 'free' or the government paying for anything has to stop, neither are true.

alphabyte

Come now people, you get something for nothing and all you can do is to complain about it. For sure, 500MB is not enough for serious business use, or for gaming, but it can be very handy for a student or learner to download their latest projects. So if you need more than that fine - but just pay for it like we all do.

Thor

Honorary Master
Wonder if it's mac based. (looks at my anonymous samsung)

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I'm so glad my taxes are now providing me with free Wi-Fi. I shall signup immediately.

/s

boboudts

FREE?....why should ratepayers fund this gimme club, it’s taxation by stealth and enforced anc communism feeding off the free market.

....pay your own way, as well as your electricity and water consumption!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
FREE?....why should ratepayers fund this gimme club, it’s taxation by stealth and enforced anc communism feeding off the free market.

....pay your own way, as well as your electricity and water consumption!
Because some people aren't starting from the same position as everyone else. This is trying to create a level playing field for all.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It should rather be 2GB a month or something like that and then a list of zero rated sites, e.g. Siyavula, MSTWorkbooks, Wikipedia, IEEE, government sites, etc.