John McAfee found dead in Spanish prison - apparent suicide

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
John McAfee found dead in prison cell

John McAfee, the creator of the eponymous antivirus protection software, was found dead in his Spanish prison cell after an announcement earlier Wednesday that he would be extradited to the U.S. to face charges of financial crimes, the Associated Press reported.

Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia reported that he appeared to have died by suicide, citing a statement from the regional Department of Justice of Catalonia, where he was being held.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Why was he intent on fighting so hard against the tax evasion charges?
Did he believe it's unfair or unjust?
Was he just too stubborn to face reality and responsibility?
The little I know and have seen about him is that he was an old guy living a playboy lifestyle.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Why was he intent on fighting so hard against the tax evasion charges?
Did he believe it's unfair or unjust?
Was he just too stubborn to face reality and responsibility?
The little I know and have seen about him is that he was an old guy living a playboy lifestyle.

From a parallel thread. Paranoid schizophrenic:
In 2019 Mr McAfee expressed his disdain for taxes, tweeting that he had not filed tax returns for eight years because "taxation is illegal."

In the same year he was briefly detained in the Dominican Republic for allegedly bringing weapons into the country.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Is this because I uninstalled McAfee Antivirus from my new work laptop? :rolleyes:

He should've pulled a move like Mark Zuckerberg's partner/buddy from back in the day, that just ran to Singapore and got citizenship there to evade paying taxes.

Anyway, a person died. Even if he was a bit off to some.
Enjoy the ride in the Ether or whatever John.

d0b33

Honorary Master
How bizarre. Who could have imagined this would happen to the guy who invented famous bloatware.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Is this because I uninstalled McAfee Antivirus from my new work laptop? :rolleyes:

He should've pulled a move like Mark Zuckerberg's partner/buddy from back in the day, that just ran to Singapore and got citizenship there to evade paying taxes.

He died of his own doing though.
Why evade tax? Especially with Intel owning McAfee. He could have done great for himself. It was easier for him to cash out and cry wolf.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
He died of his own doing though.
Why evade tax? Especially with Intel owning McAfee. He could have done great for himself. It was easier for him to cash out and cry wolf.

Agreed - he was a bit of a nutter.

As for the tax evasion - suppose it's just a matter of being greedy/selfish.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

He was more than a bit off, read the BBC article:
Although a pioneer of computer security, he once admitted to the BBC that he never actually used the software on his own computers - or any anti-virus software for that matter.

"I protect myself by constantly changing my IP [internet protocol] address, by not attaching my name to any device I use, and by not going on to sites where you might pick up a virus," he told the BBC's technology reporter Leo Kelion in 2013.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Then someone uses his Instagram to post a giant Q for maximum shetposting.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
This guy had a roller coaster of a life.

This line stood out the most:

McAfee told the BBC, “I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet.”

Cius

Executive Member
Eccentric guy. Wonder what pushed him over the edge. Perhaps he feared US prisons more than Spanish ones. Anyways, hope you find the peace in the afterlife that you never found on earth. Not a fan of your software, locks up my work laptop for a few minutes every morning when I load up until its done its thing.