Jonty Rhodes on privilege: 'I literally was competing only with the white players'

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol he isn't even SA's best fielder ever. Preferred Shaun Pollock back then anyway. He did his job without all the pomp and circumstance.

STS

Mafia Detective
obviously it exists, its why there is a word for it.

why try and vilify it at every turn?

every person who had someone trying to give them a better future than they had, is privileged. some more than others. other so much more that it lasts for decades or centuries.
What is seen as vilification has only recently cropped up after years of asking why certain races and cultures haven't built aeroplanes or roads. Even on this forum it is constantly brought up that the "majority" of one group is always doing something bad or dumb.

While some take it to ridiculous lengths and expect sympathy/compensation, it is good to understand history and at least have an idea of where somebody has come from, as well as what they have had to deal with

Urist

Expert Member
**** knows. If your ancestors broke their backs for a couple of centuries in order to give you a better life and better opportunities apparently you did something wrong by being born.

Honestly, you should ask yourself what was so bad about a 35 year life expectancy and spending the better part of 35 years looking after your chiefs cattle that you want to complain now. You can have that at any time.
If you're a white gen x'er... image search "great depression" to see what your parents looked like when they were children.
f**ck white guilt and fu**ck the whole concept of white privilege. My only privilege is the back-breaking work my own personal parents put in the try and give me a decent head-start in life. It's not white privilege.... its a privilege that SOME white kids had.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
That's because your average white person uses courtesy, common sense, social norms, standards and social intelligence to foster an environment that is superior in its stability and ability to attract or generate wealth and happiness than those groups of people who do not adhere to those traits.

Looking from the outside in? Sure, if you want to call that "white privilege" then fine, but the word "white" in it is lame... anyone can have it.
R.I.P.
Grimlock
R.I.P.

The ambassador of the white race has spoken:

Nick333

Honorary Master
Another one of them waste of white skin candidates.

No thanks cunter
Great argument, thanks.

Try make a point about the spelling of a Xhosa name that was devised by some racist, white toppy over a hundred years ago, get called on it, shyt the bed. Thanks for playing.

Urist

Expert Member
Its interesting how some want to generalize about other races, but dont like it when you generalize about their race.

Because generalizations about race, dehumanizes.
Two sides of the same coin, and you'll have it as long as you have a racist government.

krycor

Honorary Master
#truth - is a personal journey, and liberating ... if you are not on that level of consciousness, you will not understand.
Still the best run out ever!
The brutal reality in SA is that there is no equality or true social mobility (global issue btw.. worst in SA) which is why we heading for trouble.

Difference between past and now is it’s no longer just based on race as a major decider and that prime spot has been replaced by class/wealth which is why society remains the same.. particularly in Cpt where land can’t just be made more available lol.

So moved back to Cpt and it’s again one of the frustrating things about life here.

Personally think a great discussion needs to happen in SA but chance of it ever being fixed is next to none because it fix it requires growing up in a good neighborhood where you surrounded by professionals or some, with access to good schools with early education, access to telecoms, and then 12yrs later you ready to be identified where you more suitable to be with talent/skill management or just a lot of extra training/skilling along the way (talent, iq, other attributes people try and claim makes the difference does not compare to sheer practice and experience).

If you look at the avg South African who is not politically connected and have unskilled parents in a smaller town.. is there even 1% chance they make it through to 24 with a chance of a future? Me thinks not regardless of color of skin... though, that in itself still broadens and changes the stats slightly due to access. Still.. I dread the coming issues as we bleed professionals leaving the aspirations of many as only political fraud/corruption related gains or direct crime.

Spliffcat

Expert Member

Read Joffe's book of the humungous amounts of cash that went missing from the Lottery that was supposed to go to SOUTH AFRICAN sports people.

Olympic qualifiers who got nothing to help them go to the games.
The blatant stealing of money to go to the athletes.

Mr Tubby Reddy and his thieving cronies.

World class athletes having to pay their own way.
While the pigs snaffle the at the trough.

Another ANC theft of tax payers tax and overseas donations to our athletes.
Scum.

yebocan

Honorary Master
The brutal reality in SA is that there is no equality or true social mobility (global issue btw.. worst in SA) which is why we heading for trouble.

Difference between past and now is it’s no longer just based on race as a major decider and that prime spot has been replaced by class/wealth which is why society remains the same.. particularly in Cpt where land can’t just be made more available lol.

So moved back to Cpt and it’s again one of the frustrating things about life here.

Personally think a great discussion needs to happen in SA but chance of it ever being fixed is next to none because it fix it requires growing up in a good neighborhood where you surrounded by professionals or some, with access to good schools with early education, access to telecoms, and then 12yrs later you ready to be identified where you more suitable to be with talent/skill management or just a lot of extra training/skilling along the way (talent, iq, other attributes people try and claim makes the difference does not compare to sheer practice and experience).

If you look at the avg South African who is not politically connected and have unskilled parents in a smaller town.. is there even 1% chance they make it through to 24 with a chance of a future? Me thinks not regardless of color of skin... though, that in itself still broadens and changes the stats slightly due to access. Still.. I dread the coming issues as we bleed professionals leaving the aspirations of many as only political fraud/corruption related gains or direct crime.
the inequality of the past, that has not been adequately addressed, not addressed at all in most regards, and especially for the majority/ those that truly need it... the cycle of poverty, just continues ... there is no room to flourish, only to survive. In the absence of any real vehicle of upward mobility, education, good , free readily available education, the cycle just gets perpetuated....from one generation to another. In most cases, all a child needs is a glimpse of what is possible, a helping hand to see beyond the confines of their environment... they would naturally aspire to break the cycle.
My posse is littered with poverty cycle breaking peeps. The struggles they had to go through - most don't talk about it , but from their family accounts...I thought I had it tough. These individual can truly be proud of what they have achieve, build, ... setting up the next generation of their family with a bit more than just a helping hand.
As for those that leave, their right to do so ... but the imbalance of the past , and the absence of good education is not unlocking the true potential of this country...our social stratification is not a reflection of our population make up, until that is address, we will always be reminded of the brain drain, as we not addressing the root cause for our small professional pool.
One thing that Siya and Rassie has shown, in the absence of political noise, South Africans can live their national motto : diverse people unite.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Pretty sure this comic doesnt take all factors into account , i think the concept of the comic is actually inspired by a head injury though.
Also it's only the Americans who seem to make Latinos as a different race. I mean if that was South Africa they would've been labelled as White back in the day.
Those issues look more like a class one rather than a race one as well.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Really ? Newlands wasnt a humilation

Jesus, facts and MyBroederbond dont mix
They left us chasing 438 runs to win - after declaring their 2nd innings so it could've been worse - and bowled us out for 248.

We didn't even match their 1st innings tally and they started their 2nd innings with a lead of 46 runs.

What would you call that? Sure as hell wasn't a close test. We were playing catch-up the moment we lost the toss and never got within a sniff of them. 3rd Test saw the gap between the two sides increase even further and thus the point stands; our cricket is in a shambles and yet we're diverting our attention to muh transformation.

Last edited:

access

Executive Member
What is seen as vilification has only recently cropped up after years of asking why certain races and cultures haven't built aeroplanes or roads. Even on this forum it is constantly brought up that the "majority" of one group is always doing something bad or dumb.

While some take it to ridiculous lengths and expect sympathy/compensation, it is good to understand history and at least have an idea of where somebody has come from, as well as what they have had to deal with
well if the arguement is based on the reasoning of historical materialism, i will also argue against it...