Jordan Peterson's definition of God thread

surface

Executive Member
I don't usually understand him - do you?

Q: I guess this question is mostly for Jordan Peterson just to hopefully enlighten a bit more what you mean by God do you think that if all humanity were to cease to exist does God still exist ?

Jordon Peterson:
I don't think I know how to answer that all right there it's just the situation is too hypothetical I mean I can take a crack at some of it but so human beings are characterized by consciousness and by self-consciousness and the latter in particular seems to be something relatively unique there's some vague evidence for self-consciousness of lower sorts and animals but it's not very compelling some of them can recognize themselves in a mirror but our self-consciousness is accompanied by elaborated imagistic and linguistic models of ourselves and that have been elaborated over large spans of time there are lots of elements of being that would disappear if we disappeared now and it isn't even obvious to what extent that's true right because I don't really understand to what degree being itself is dependent on consciousness like the classic materialist enlightenment view which I would say is basically a 19th century view something like that is that if all consciousness was extinguished the material substrate of the universe would continue unchanged but I don't really buy that as an argument because I think that the material substrate I think that reality is some weird I think that reality is an interaction between what we perceive of as the material substrate and consciousness itself and so then when you destroy a consciousness you destroy reality and what that leaves I don't really understand because it doesn't have any temporalities in any obvious sense it doesn't have any size in any obvious sense without the introduction of an invisible observer so Lots vanishes without human consciousness and self-consciousness I don't know how to answer the question does God vanish because that brings us back into the same problem that I was talking about earlier is that it's not exactly easy to understand what people are talking about when they say God you know cuz when you ask the question would God disappear there's an assumption there that whatever God is is understandable and box a below like a simple concept like a chair and that we both share the same conception and you know there's endless warnings in deep religious literature against understanding against assuming that you understand what that term means or sometimes even for using the term so that's the best I'm gonna be able to do

Zyk1

Expert Member

Q: I guess this question is mostly for Jordan Peterson just to hopefully enlighten a bit more what you mean by God do you think that if all humanity were to cease to exist does God still exist ?

Jordon Peterson:
I don't think I know how to answer that all right there it's just the situation is too hypothetical I mean I can take a crack at some of it but so human beings are characterized by consciousness and by self-consciousness and the latter in particular seems to be something relatively unique there's some vague evidence for self-consciousness of lower sorts and animals but it's not very compelling some of them can recognize themselves in a mirror but our self-consciousness is accompanied by elaborated imagistic and linguistic models of ourselves and that have been elaborated over large spans of time there are lots of elements of being that would disappear if we disappeared now and it isn't even obvious to what extent that's true right because I don't really understand to what degree being itself is dependent on consciousness like the classic materialist enlightenment view which I would say is basically a 19th century view something like that is that if all consciousness was extinguished the material substrate of the universe would continue unchanged but I don't really buy that as an argument because I think that the material substrate I think that reality is some weird I think that reality is an interaction between what we perceive of as the material substrate and consciousness itself and so then when you destroy a consciousness you destroy reality and what that leaves I don't really understand because it doesn't have any temporalities in any obvious sense it doesn't have any size in any obvious sense without the introduction of an invisible observer so Lots vanishes without human consciousness and self-consciousness I don't know how to answer the question does God vanish because that brings us back into the same problem that I was talking about earlier is that it's not exactly easy to understand what people are talking about when they say God you know cuz when you ask the question would God disappear there's an assumption there that whatever God is is understandable and box a below like a simple concept like a chair and that we both share the same conception and you know there's endless warnings in deep religious literature against understanding against assuming that you understand what that term means or sometimes even for using the term so that's the best I'm gonna be able to do
Yoh.
A few full stops missing there.
My head hurts now

Nick333

Honorary Master

Jordon Peterson:
Did you transcribe that and deliberately leave out the punctuation? Seems to me that off the cuff speech usually doesn't transcribe well in the first place, so I get the feeling you're trying to make what he says seem as confusing as possible for effect?

surface

Executive Member
Did you transcribe that and deliberately leave out the punctuation? Seems to me that off the cuff speech usually doesn't transcribe well in the first place, so I get the feeling you're trying to make what he says seem as confusing as possible for effect?
Are you saying I deliberately made JP's speech confusing? What would I gain?

transcript as is without timestamps. Timestamps would have been more confusing. You can follow the video for actual conversation?

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
I understand him - I think.
It seems to me that he's saying that consciousness permeates matter and matter permeates consciousness.
So you can't really seperate them and expect to have left what you had before seperation.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Are you saying I deliberately made JP's speech confusing? What would I gain?

transcript as is without timestamps. Timestamps would have been more confusing. You can follow the video for actual conversation?
No, just more confusing than it actually is, for dramatic purposes I guess.

rambo919

Expert Member
I followed him a bit untill I realized he was simply a modern Gnostic with a scientific degree who for reasons unknown was pushing a Catholic ideology. It all makes sense once you understand Gnosticism and apply his teachings in that framework.

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
I followed him a bit untill I realized he was simply a modern Gnostic with a scientific degree who for reasons unknown was pushing a Catholic ideology. It all makes sense once you understand Gnosticism and apply his teachings in that framework.
Gnosticism, bit of Buddhism, bit of Jungian analysis..all good fodder for the terminally confused human psyche.