Just encrypt digital TV already, ANC tells Muthambi: report

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Thats fine..

They can actually do whatever the fek they want now... I won't be getting a set-top box ever....

Pythonista

I would then expect that if I don't have a STB then I would not need to pay a license. Clearly I also have no DSTV. I can't wait.

somnambulist

This whole spat is about carriage fees and control. Etv wants to get paid to be on multichoices pay dtt platform. And want Joe public has to fit its bill. I hope they burn for this. While our greedy gov wants to stop cheap china made stbs from flooding the market. Thanks S.A gov for caring more about the profits of Altech UEC and Nausha then our pockets...

Last edited:

somnambulist

I get about 10 of those a year... they just get turfed or deleted.

They keep harassing my 67 yr old mum even though her tv lic is up to date, numerous faxes of proof of payment and still the calling continues...

furpile

Expert Member
+1

Does this mean no tv licence as well, if no set-top box?
I would then expect that if I don't have a STB then I would not need to pay a license. Clearly I also have no DSTV. I can't wait.
Interesting question. From Go Digital SA:
Will I need to buy a new television set to receive DTT?

No, you do not need to buy a new TV. All current analogue television sets will be able to receive DTT. You also do not need a high definition (HD) TV, LCD TV or Plasma TV to receive DTT. Note, that no television on the market will be able to receive the Digital TV channels without the STB. A TV that is ‘digital ready’ or ‘HD ready’ does not mean that it can receive the digital TV broadcasting without a STB.
So from the current situation where every TV can receive the analogue signal and you need a license if you have a TV, we are going to a situation where no TV will be able to receive the digital signal without an STB. Thus all TV's will become monitors since the tv tuner will no longer be used. So the TV license laws will have to be changed to only apply if you have an STB.

I hope they don't try and get a way around this situation and we can finally get rid of TV licenses. But i suspect there are more people paying for licenses and not using it than there are people watching those channels without paying. So the SABC will take a big hit in license income.

Last edited:

Jan

Drifting in the black
Updated the article with a statement from the DA.

furpile

Expert Member
LOL, just saw this on that same site:

WHEN DO I NEED TO GO DIGITAL?
The migration to digital TV is a huge programme to implement, but South Africa is well on its way. Cutting edge technology, set top boxes and broadcasting signals are currently being tested.

Globally analogue signals will no longer be protected after 2015.

The aim is to kick off roll-out to the public during the first half of 2010 once the following is in place:

broadcasters have new channels ready to broadcast
STBs are in production and are available
To make sure we get it right first time, South Africa will be switching over to full digital broadcast in a phased manner, making sure everything is working properly as we go.

During the period of switch-over starting in 2010, you will be able to track when Digital TV will be in your area in the status block on this site. This function will only be available when going live with switch-over.
Maybe they need to update their site once every 5 years.

recre8

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make TV licensing apply to the new STB. I don't have an antenna, I don't want to watch any SABC content, and I don't have DSTV

LeonG

I wish they could sort out the inferior video/audio quality first before worrying about encryption. The digital channels literally look and sound sh*t.

somnambulist

****e! Just when I've purchased the Xbox One Digital Tv Tuner from Amazon France... Too late to cancel now. This will be a €50.00 paper weight if encryption is ultimately chosen... ahh lessons in life

Swa

Honorary Master
So from the current situation where every TV can receive the analogue signal and you need a license if you have a TV, we are going to a situation where no TV will be able to receive the digital signal without an STB. Thus all TV's will become monitors since the tv tuner will no longer be used. So the TV license laws will have to be changed to only apply if you have an STB.
This is essentially what these stupid ANC f***s are arguing for. No digital tv in the world would work without being specifically designed with the encryption. So from a situation where we could buy standard TVs and import cheap china STBs for those with old analog TVs it would be expensive locally made STBs even if you have a brand new digital tv. Utterly ridiculous.