Just found a (vintage) Samsung I900 Omnia (and it works!)

seedat77

So we got a new helper at home and I don't know if she is cleaning a bit too well but she found a (vintage) Samsung Omnia I900 in the sofa. I have no idea who the phone belongs to or how long it's been there. It could even be mine as I used to buy and sell phones back in the day, and I remember using one for a short while.

The phone is in brilliant condition and it would be a miracle if the battery is not dead. But I am curious and want to charge it up and find out who it belongs to. If by any chance you happen to be in the Durban area and have an old Samsung charger, I'll appreciate it if we could meet and test to see if the phone charges. I will check at the China Mall, but thought I'll just put it out here as well. The phone was launched towards the end of 2008 and I am sure other old Samsungs used the same charger. See photos attached of the phone and charging port.

Attachments

DanDango

Executive Member
I have on old generic samsung charger, it was for the smasung E250. If it fits your phone, you can take it.

Park@82

Honorary Master
I had one of those. I probably threw the charger away. will check. where are you based?

gamer16

Expert Member
Try the Pakistani shops, if they don't have the socket they have things that charge the battery outside of the phone.

marioat1

Expert Member
It's the Samsung l760 charger if I remember correctly. Pity the SD card is out, was the 8gb card with Garmin software installed

Totempole

Expert Member
So we got a new helper at home and I don't know if she is cleaning a bit too well but she found a (vintage) Samsung Omnia I900 in the sofa. I have no idea who the phone belongs to or how long it's been there. It could even be mine as I used to buy and sell phones back in the day, and I remember using one for a short while.

The phone is in brilliant condition and it would be a miracle if the battery is not dead. But I am curious and want to charge it up and find out who it belongs to. If by any chance you happen to be in the Durban area and have an old Samsung charger, I'll appreciate it if we could meet and test to see if the phone charges. I will check at the China Mall, but thought I'll just put it out here as well. The phone was launched towards the end of 2008 and I am sure other old Samsungs used the same charger. See photos attached of the phone and charging port.
I have the exact charger you're looking for, Genuine Samsung. I'm in Cape Town though. :confused:

It's all yours if you cover the postage costs.

It's a different charger to the E250 and D900. Model number is ETA3S31EBE

seedat77

I have the exact charger you're looking for, Genuine Samsung. I'm in Cape Town though. :confused:

It's all yours if you cover the postage costs.

It's a different charger to the E250 and D900. Model number is ETA3S31EBE
Thanks for the offer. I managed to get a charger but it looks like the battery is dead. I doubt I'll be able to get a battery. Not worth paying for one as I don't know if the phone even works.

seedat77

The legend lives! The phone actually works!

The battery was not charging, I left it on charge overnight hoping for a miracle but alas, it was dead. I then tried the 9V battery boost trick and voila, it started charging. After charging up I switched on the phone and first checked the call log. There was only one call in the list, made in 2011. Went through the contacts and it didn't take long to figure out that it belonged to our neighbour.

Her story: They went overseas in 2011 and the phone just stopped working or charging. She bought a replacement and didn't bother to get this phone fixed. It was lying around the house and her kids used to play with it as a toy phone (that's how it ended up in my house, about 2 weeks back). She was amazed and extremely grateful for bringing it back from the dead.

Anyway, I played around with the phone for a while before returning it and it was a nostalgic experience.... Windows Mobile with Internet Explorer and the Office apps, poking around the screen with the stylus, handwriting recognition. This phone even had Mxit installed! Then, it just became frustrating, we are just too used to the user friendly experience of Android and IOS.

It's amazing that the battery still worked after being left in the phone for 8 years. Kudos to Samsung for building such a resilient device, that has stood the test of time!

Attachments

Park@82

Honorary Master
The legend lives! The phone actually works!

The battery was not charging, I left it on charge overnight hoping for a miracle but alas, it was dead. I then tried the 9V battery boost trick and voila, it started charging. After charging up I switched on the phone and first checked the call log. There was only one call in the list, made in 2011. Went through the contacts and it didn't take long to figure out that it belonged to our neighbour.

Her story: They went overseas in 2011 and the phone just stopped working or charging. She bought a replacement and didn't bother to get this phone fixed. It was lying around the house and her kids used to play with it as a toy phone (that's how it ended up in my house, about 2 weeks back). She was amazed and extremely grateful for bringing it back from the dead.

Anyway, I played around with the phone for a while before returning it and it was a nostalgic experience.... Windows Mobile with Internet Explorer and the Office apps, poking around the screen with the stylus, handwriting recognition. This phone even had Mxit installed! Then, it just became frustrating, we are just too used to the user friendly experience of Android and IOS.

It's amazing that the battery still worked after being left in the phone for 8 years. Kudos to Samsung for building such a resilient device, that has stood the test of time!
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.