Just found a (vintage) Samsung I900 Omnia (and it works!)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The legend lives! The phone actually works!

The battery was not charging, I left it on charge overnight hoping for a miracle but alas, it was dead. I then tried the 9V battery boost trick and voila, it started charging. After charging up I switched on the phone and first checked the call log. There was only one call in the list, made in 2011. Went through the contacts and it didn't take long to figure out that it belonged to our neighbour.

Her story: They went overseas in 2011 and the phone just stopped working or charging. She bought a replacement and didn't bother to get this phone fixed. It was lying around the house and her kids used to play with it as a toy phone (that's how it ended up in my house, about 2 weeks back). She was amazed and extremely grateful for bringing it back from the dead.

Anyway, I played around with the phone for a while before returning it and it was a nostalgic experience.... Windows Mobile with Internet Explorer and the Office apps, poking around the screen with the stylus, handwriting recognition. This phone even had Mxit installed! Then, it just became frustrating, we are just too used to the user friendly experience of Android and IOS.

It's amazing that the battery still worked after being left in the phone for 8 years. Kudos to Samsung for building such a resilient device, that has stood the test of time!
Nice read sir.

Personally never found a liking to WM back in those days. I always preferred Symbian S60 as my mobile OS of choice.

Having said that still a beautiful looking device

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
The legend lives! The phone actually works!

The battery was not charging, I left it on charge overnight hoping for a miracle but alas, it was dead. I then tried the 9V battery boost trick and voila, it started charging. After charging up I switched on the phone and first checked the call log. There was only one call in the list, made in 2011. Went through the contacts and it didn't take long to figure out that it belonged to our neighbour.

Her story: They went overseas in 2011 and the phone just stopped working or charging. She bought a replacement and didn't bother to get this phone fixed. It was lying around the house and her kids used to play with it as a toy phone (that's how it ended up in my house, about 2 weeks back). She was amazed and extremely grateful for bringing it back from the dead.

Anyway, I played around with the phone for a while before returning it and it was a nostalgic experience.... Windows Mobile with Internet Explorer and the Office apps, poking around the screen with the stylus, handwriting recognition. This phone even had Mxit installed! Then, it just became frustrating, we are just too used to the user friendly experience of Android and IOS.

It's amazing that the battery still worked after being left in the phone for 8 years. Kudos to Samsung for building such a resilient device, that has stood the test of time!
Absolutely awesome story

I remember wanting this phone or the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 so badly, as both were Multimedia heavy WM devices, I was in highschool though, so no way were the parents going to fork out that much for a phone, so ended up getting a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic instead.

seedat77

Absolutely awesome story

I remember wanting this phone or the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 so badly, as both were Multimedia heavy WM devices, I was in highschool though, so no way were the parents going to fork out that much for a phone, so ended up getting a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic instead.
This brings back good memories of days gone by. I also had a 5800 and it was a good phone, with great sound.