JUST IN | Arthur Fraser admits board did not approve medical parole for Zuma

grok

Honorary Master
Why are you so surprised at the Ramaphuta? If (this) is where corruption happens... then
(this) is where he'll be focusing that fake stare of his, guaranteed.

Whatever happened to our R500bil Covid aid? Gone, poof, never to be heard of even investigated again.
Zuma was right, Africa doesn't care about corruption. Only the poor suffer and nobody cares about them either..
My hope is they punish the ANC at the polls, but hey KFC and a T-shirt later and all's forgiven. TIA!

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
These ANC cadres fired yet??

I am glad the SABC, somehow, posted day 1 on YouTube, because,

“The incarceration of the former president is administered under the Correctional Service Act, without any favouritism. We are guided by the act. He will be treated like any other offender,” Lamola told a media briefing on Thursday.

/cough

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

On an urgent basis... The DA's application was also made on an urgent basis. The DA's application was made last Friday, and I would say up to two weeks. Say this is stretched close to October or even into October, then it is all needless, because then Correctional Services can take the position with normal parole. I did, however, hear the Helen Suzman Foundation argue, that should the medical parole be overturned that the incurred days during parole must be scrapped.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Family elder says Jacob Zuma could return home next week​

Former president Jacob Zuma could spend the next long weekend surrounded by family in the comfort of his Nkandla homestead in picturesque KwaZulu-Natal, a family elder said on Wednesday.

“I was told to wait for this week to pass and then he will be home. That is what they said to me, but we are still going to confirm,” said Zuma’s 80-year-old brother Joseph.

It has been 10 days since Zuma was granted medical parole for ill health by the department of correctional services head Arthur Fraser. But little is known about when he will be discharged from the hospital he was admitted to for medical treatment in August.

Department spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo would only say that “the doctors treating him will decide” when the time is right to discharge Zuma.

However, another source confirmed what Joseph was told, saying Zuma was scheduled to be discharged from the hospital on September 24.

“This has not been confirmed yet, it is just a preliminary date. We are hoping it will be early next week, we are tired of waiting,” said the source.

Heritage Day...

“Due to a frenzy of media enquiries, the foundation wishes to advise that due to security reasons, the discharge of [former] President Zuma from the hospital will not be announced. At the right time, subject to correctional services conditions, further announcements will be made,” said Manyi.

I don't know what his correctional services conditions has to with him being discharged other than to oblige to protocol. He will receive special 'medical' conditions and I doubt that he would have to go anywhere to check in because Zuma being immobilised, terminal and all.

Open court on the 21st and 22nd, nope, Zuma being incapacitated would mean that the special plea would be heard, but that the trial is going to end up in a long postponement. At this point Judge Koen is likely to insist on Zuma being examined by the NPA which will, suddenly, being opposed by Zuma’s legal team which due to the recent submitted ‘technicalities’ will be tied to the recusal application or otherwise the special plea. So once the Judge has taken this under correction, then I don’t know what then… only time will tell. This is how I think this will play out, but I am certain that Zuma’s legal team is doing their best to push this trial into 2022 by inserting doubt into the trial.

I am curious why the Zondo Commission hasn’t made enquiries in regard to Zuma’s medical parole. Their time has also come to an end, hence I still don’t know why the Hawks investigation made a sudden appearance.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
ANC/CR made/influenced the choice to release JZ for not losing support

Change my mind.:)
Arthur Fraser seemingly has all the powers to release him, and he has motivation to do so looking at their history, he doesn't need influence from CR or the ANC.

The decision is obviously politically beneficial to the ANC and to CR, but that does not mean they influenced him to take the decision, he is capable and seemingly empowered to take such a decision.

I doubt Cyril would risk anything like that because his enemies within the party would not hesitate to use that against him even though it's what they wanted all along.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Arthur Fraser seemingly has all the powers to release him, and he has motivation to do so looking at their history, he doesn't need influence from CR or the ANC.

The decision is obviously politically beneficial to the ANC and to CR, but that does not mean they influenced him to take the decision, he is capable and seemingly empowered to take such a decision.

I doubt Cyril would risk anything like that because his enemies within the party would not hesitate to use that against him even though it's what they wanted all along.
I wonder if the choice is a political poison chalice... They'll gain support in some areas and lose in others..

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I wonder if the choice is a political poison chalice... They'll gain support in some areas and lose in others..
That's the problem, there is even no guarantee that they will get the votes they need from KZN, that province is such a liability but unfortunately the ANC are just too desperate.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Arthur Fraser seemingly has all the powers to release him.

No, he doesn't, but it is being propagated as such. The law and the Correctional Services Act is being purposely misrepresented. Why the presidency said this,

“The issue of the former president, what is important to us is that somebody who had a power to exercise that authority is Mr Fraser, the Head of Correctional Services. What is important to us is that powers to deal with [medical parole] are vested with him.”

“If there any wrongdoings about that we expect the normal [relevant] institutions to deal with that.
But what comforts us is that the person whom the powers are vested to deal with that dealt with it. We are comfortable [that] the relevant institution to take that decision is the one that took it,” adds Gungubele.

was to distance themselves, but the commissioner don't have the power to exercise that authority, neither is it the relevant institution because the decision must be reconsidered by the Correctional Supervision and Parole Review Board. The National Council must appoint the Correctional Supervision and Parole Review Board members.

R13...

Honorary Master
That's the problem, there is even no guarantee that they will get the votes they need from KZN, that province is such a liability but unfortunately the ANC are just too desperate.
There's even a chance Zuma works against the ANC like he did last election. He's still pissed off that he's being made escape goat for the ANCs corruption. He feels they should protect him as nearly everyone is corrupt but Zuma being zuma and in lacking of self awareness fails to see how much he's destroyed.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Reading the Correctional Services Act in detail, and understanding its compatibilities, there is no implied legal ground where Section 75(7) can supersede Section 75(8). The only institution which can overwrite the Correction Supervision and Parole Board or the Correction Supervision and Parole Review Board, pending the case and relevant sections, is the courts.

The Helen Suzman Foundation is arguing in depth, not going to quote it,

https://hsf.org.za/litigation/zumas...commissioner-of-correctional-services-nom.pdf (PDF)

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

H.E Prez Zuma is Black. His Hospital Doctors are Black. The Commissioner is Black. Jailed without Trial. The decision of the Doctors is 2nd guessed by the NPA. The decision of the Commissioner is 2nd guessed by Afriforum, Helen Suzman Foundation and DA. Why is this not RACISM?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

AfriForum becomes third organisation to challenge Zuma parole decision​

AfriForum became the third organisation to launch an urgent court application seeking to set aside the decision by correctional services head Arthur Fraser to release former president Jacob Zuma on medical parole.

Its application before the high court in Pretoria on Wednesday follows similar ones launched by the DA last Friday and the Helen Suzman Foundation on Tuesday.

AfriForum said its application related to the recent release of Zuma on medical parole though it appeared that statutory provisions were not complied with.

No tripping over each now. I have only seen this like a minute ago, and I haven't seen their court papers neither the DA's, but I know that the HSF don't share the same core merits as the DA in their submission.

3 Challenges are on, though these are made in urgency, it can take weeks.

Fraser said his reasons are available on anyone's request, but did explicitly mention parliament. I have an idea that ‘when’ the matter will be discussed in parliament, that it will serve as a time gauge. Say Zuma is discharged on the 24th, then why release Zuma on medical parole this early, was it pre-emptive or is something else up? We are getting so close to October that Zuma could have had his normal parole… This is why I wonder whether Zuma is still in hospital? Not that it matters given that he is already released on medical parole, but we haven't seen him since his last virtual court appearance two months ago, and yes, it is assumed that he is terminally ill or otherwise incapacitated.

I still wouldn’t be surprised to see some Parole Review Board materialise, but as I mentioned earlier, that would require the National Council to appoint the members.