Just opened a Easy Equities account and need advice on how to invest 20k

far2000

Thanx to this forum and doing bit of research decided to try my luck with some crypto n shares. Got 20 k to start and looking at short term gains, say 3-5 months to make some little extra. Profits will go back into newer shares etc. And looking to maybe cash out by next year december as a sort of bonus. Will akso b putting a 1k or 2k every month as my savings.
Just wanted to know which stocks u guys advise?. I was looking at ec10(crypto bag) , and maybe put in 10k there. I see capitec went down a bit and looks to rebound while city lodge is climbing n climbing. Is steinhoff worth it? Have they reached their bottom?.

Kind regards

Farouk

far2000

Basically just want to know what others would buy if you had 20k immediately to invest.

far2000

Was looking at ec 10 as well. What do u mean by normal account?
, its the one with all the different crypto?

Conack

Expert Member
I'm up more than 40% over the last year, but tech stocks are just really doing well atm.
As for what to go for right now? That's really a tough one - the ones I expected to boom already did (semi conductor and software businesses) - so now it's just a question of whether it'll grow even further or slide back from here. Tesla is at an all time high as an example.

I wouldn't waste time in local stocks - US is where the action is. (after you've filled your annual TFSA account as per Sauron's post) Then wait a bit from there and hope for a dip in the markets..?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I wouldn't waste time in local stocks - US is where the action is.
Despite the state of the economy, there is still plenty of opportunity in the local stock market with quite a few stocks doubling or more their share price in a matter of months. You need to know what you are doing though to identify good businesses that are under valued - beware, a lot of cheap stocks are for companies which are either not profitable or have excessive amounts of debt.

If you are interested in investing in individual stocks, learn about value investing and start with small amounts (Say R500 or R1000 per month) until you are comfortable to risk more. Easy Equities is the perfect platform for value investing with modest amounts. I think it is good to know about value investing even if you choose another approach to buying and selling stocks and for lack of this understanding, a lot of people do exactly the wrong thing ie. buying high, selling low.

In the meantime with your 20k, ETF's would be lower risk and maybe some in crypto if you like for a bit of flavour!

Thanx to this forum and doing bit of research decided to try my luck with some crypto n shares. Got 20 k to start and looking at short term gains, say 3-5 months to make some little extra. Profits will go back into newer shares etc. And looking to maybe cash out by next year december as a sort of bonus. Will akso b putting a 1k or 2k every month as my savings.
Just wanted to know which stocks u guys advise?. I was looking at ec10(crypto bag) , and maybe put in 10k there. I see capitec went down a bit and looks to rebound while city lodge is climbing n climbing. Is steinhoff worth it? Have they reached their bottom?.

Kind regards

Farouk
You should invest in a sector that you are familiar with and/or like. So that it wont be a chore to read the news everyday. Well that's more or less what Warren Buffet did, he didn't invest in an industry that he didn't understand. Steinhoff is extremely volatile at the moment, so its pretty much a gamble. Then again I only lost money in the stock market, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Basically just want to know what others would buy if you had 20k immediately to invest.
This is a very open-ended question. Everyone has their own idea of what they will invest in. Investing is long term and you're looking at 5-10 years if not longer. You are better off leaving your money in the bank for now until you understand what it is all about or start with small amounts. No-one on this platform knows what the market will do in the future.
EE does have a demo account that you can play with before taking the leap. I would also listen to podcasts like The Fat Wallet Show to assist with understanding investing.
Another good local site is Platinumwealth.co.za. You'll find lots of info on here. They also have a little E-book which actually had me starting on my investment journey. It's called "How to Invest - The Beginner's Guide"
Hope this helps a little.