Kapersky Anti Virus - Any Good?

Sackboy

Executive Member
I ran Kaspersky in 2007. I had to uninstall Comodo and Spybot to install the darn thing, it wouldn't let me install with these on. This year's version also corrupts MS Office 2007.

I'm with BitDefender for AV, Comodo for Firewall, FireFox for Browser and Spybot to cover some holes. My ISP scans my email with AVG so I have double protection for incoming email too.
Not sure what you mean, but I have both and had no "corruption". It does flag vulnerabilities in MS products though.

It's also quite common to get an AV package that doesn't get along with another, especially one that has a comprehensive suite of functions.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Not sure what you mean, but I have both and had no "corruption". It does flag vulnerabilities in MS products though.

It's also quite common to get an AV package that doesn't get along with another, especially one that has a comprehensive suite of functions.

Except I installed Kaspersky AV not Kaspersky Internet Security - ie just the AV. I never had this problem with any other AV package.

And yeah a friend of mine called me up in December because his Ms Office became corrupted by guess who - Kaspersky AV.

MS Office issue:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t56954.html

For HIPS/FireWall CFP beats everything else, so just buy the AV.

Sackboy

Executive Member
Except I installed Kaspersky AV not Kaspersky Internet Security - ie just the AV. I never had this problem with any other AV package.

And yeah a friend of mine called me up in December because his Ms Office became corrupted by guess who - Kaspersky AV.

MS Office issue:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t56954.html

For HIPS/FireWall CFP beats everything else, so just buy the AV.
It sounds like a complex, atypical problem
Here's the link to the system info you asked for.
I see it shows some symantec files. I had Norton anti-virus installed before, but uninstalled it before i installed KAV.

Conradl

Expert Member
I ran Kaspersky in 2007. I had to uninstall Comodo and Spybot to install the darn thing, it wouldn't let me install with these on. This year's version also corrupts MS Office 2007.

I'm with BitDefender for AV, Comodo for Firewall, FireFox for Browser and Spybot to cover some holes. My ISP scans my email with AVG so I have double protection for incoming email too.

Comodo is the best firewall and HIPS solution around while BD has all the top ratings from AV Cert and VB100. Kaspersky does have a nice FREE recovery disk on their site, I've used this to clean a relative's PC lately. The BD live CD wouldn't boot but Kaspersky did. BD also offers a free Live/Recovery CD for download.

How is the Comodo AV?

cerebus

Honorary Master
I've done this one multiple OS installs - x86 Xp, Vista 64, Win7 64 - it always brings my pc to its knees. I paid for it, I do realize it's a lot more powerful than AVG, but it's totally unusable to me.

Conradl

Expert Member
I've done this one multiple OS installs - x86 Xp, Vista 64, Win7 64 - it always brings my pc to its knees. I paid for it, I do realize it's a lot more powerful than AVG, but it's totally unusable to me.

Perhaps a stupid question, but did you disable the startup scans? I know by default it runs a full scan the first time you install, and it also runs a startup scan of certain areas when you logon. It does slow things things down considerably....

cerebus

Honorary Master
Perhaps a stupid question, but did you disable the startup scans? I know by default it runs a full scan the first time you install, and it also runs a startup scan of certain areas when you logon. It does slow things things down considerably....

Maybe I ought to try it again and this time disable startup scans. You might have a point. I can't exactly remember what I did. I do remember sitting for 20 minutes at a time while the pc was completely frozen.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Is there also some other software which is common to all those machines which might be interfering? Firewalls, anti-spyware?

cerebus

Honorary Master
Definitely not other anti-spyware, maybe a firewall. I dunno, I don't really feel like spending hours trying to figure it out either. If it can't just work then what's the point? I'm paying for it, they must iron out the problems before it goes to market. I find it also injects itself into processes which may be part of the problem. AVG, which is free, manages to be nearly completely invisible and unobtrusive.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, no... I only ask cos when I installed it, it told me I had to uninstall all other protection programs, even Windows Defender. Kaspersky really likes to be the only one on the system.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yeah it does. Maybe that's a part of the problem I dunno. In its favour though when I was infected Kaspersky found like 7 trojans that avg and norton missed.

Matt Newnham

I stopped looking at the price tag long ago. Cheap does not mean value for money. Now looking at features rather than the price tag. for years I was a kaspersky fan, or anything that used a kaspersky engine. I have changed. SOPHOS is now for me. No home user version but great small business and superb endpoint solution - pricey yes but value for money is really given.
As for a solution from incredible...Hmmm...really not to sure what I would choose....tough one.