Karpowership emergency power deal blocked on environmental grounds

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
South African powership deal torpedoed

Karpowership has been blocked from providing emergency power to the debilitated South African grid after the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment refused to authorise the powerships on environmental grounds.

This is according to Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment spokesperson Albi Modise, who was speaking to eNCA on Thursday.

"The competent authority in the department has decided, after due consideration of all relevant information, to refuse the applications for the environmental authorisations," Reuters quoted the department as saying.

Karpowership was a significant winner in a government emergency power tender designed to help ease South Africa's crippling load shedding.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The current application was deeply flawed, and was rightfully rejected. In theory they could try again, but then it would no longer meet the strict criteria for emergency power. As expected, it's back to square one...

mypetcow

Looks like it’s up to the courts to decide…

“The Competent Authority in the department adjudicated these applications in terms of the National Environmental Management Act and specific sections of the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations,” the statement reads.

“Should any person wish to lodge an appeal against the decision, he/she must submit the appeal to the appeal administrator.”

[…]

The company said in a statement that it had conducted a robust public participation process, met all South Africa's stringent environmental requirements and that it was “confident that it will win the appeal against this decision”.

https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/a...al-authorisation-on-three-projects-2021-06-24

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Project looks dead in the water:
The department clearly saw things differently, however, saying the EIA failed to meet the “minimum requirements” for proper public participation and it had also failed to conduct adequate studies on underwater noise impacts in the three harbours.

Sabelo Malaza, the department’s chief director for integrated environmental authorisations, also voiced concern that prior to submitting a final EIA report to his department, Karpowership’s environmental consultants, Triplo4, made significant changes to the report which were not communicated to stakeholders.

Several documents had also been removed from the Triplo4 website and only restored for public access after a series of complaints from interested and affected parties.

neoprema

Executive Member
Long as when we have load shedding again those people who like to complain about everything remember NOT to complain about having no power.

neoprema

Executive Member
Fantastic news.
You like no power and and a struggling economy? Or are you part of the non tech non govt non experienced people who think they can build a better power solution for the country based on their Google search results? :)

porchrat

Honorary Master
Long as when we have load shedding again those people who like to complain about everything remember NOT to complain about having no power.
Being angry at the mismanagement of Eskom and being happy that a bad deal was stopped are not mutually exclusive.

I want loadshedding to stop, but not in a way that just kicks the can further down the road. Find a lasting workable corruption free solution, even if that means I have to deal with loadshedding for a few more years.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Yeah how about no.

I will complain about having no power like a stuck pig, but I will celebrate to the nth degree when this corrupt bullshyte deal is totally dead and buried... We don't need to fsck the country over for 20 years with a crap corrupt deal that just kicks the can down the road.

Athos

You like no power and and a struggling economy? Or are you part of the non tech non govt non experienced people who think they can build a better power solution for the country based on their Google search results? :)
You like rampant corruption, looting tax money without any accountability or recourse? Or are you one of those people that lives under a rock and accepts everything their government spews out?

See I can also make statements about you which have no basis.

I am not happy with the state of the power in this Country, is there a working class South African that is?

I also don't want some stupid power ships to come and drain our economy for 25 years+ not to mention all of the corruption that can happen in that space. No thank you.

Fix issues at Eskom, let's build new private generation etc.