Keep on driving secondhand, or go brand new?

Currently I drive a 2012 Ford Kuga 2.5 Turbo. I believe this model is not affected by the Kuga fires?
My question is very simple. Should I continue to drive it for a couple more years, being out of warrantee and all. Or should I trade it in on a brand new smaller car and have a worry free 5 year manufacturers guarantee?
I just have my doubts. I really like this car and it drives great. The smaller new car will not come close to it, not even to mention the big drop in performance I will get.

What would you do? I still owe on this car. The new cars monthly premium will be roughly the same or let's say about R500.00 per month less. And use about half the fuel as well. I just wonder if the new smaller, slower car, with stress-free motoring will be worth it or should I continue to drive the older bigger better car that I love? I must admit that the Kuga currently gives me no reason to sorry about it's reliability. But things can go wrong, and without a warrantee it can be costly..

Can I also ask, besides the fact that the Kuga might have a chance of catching fire:crylaugh: what other expensive issues might this car give me? It's got 110k on the clock. Do these cars normally give expensive to fix problems? Or are they generally reliable and should I stress less and just drive it?

beans100

Executive Member
You passed the major service mark, I'll push it till 150k and then re-evaluate. But that's just me.
Any case, don't know what your'e budget is or how much you still owe, but maybe you don't need to buy a smaller car, maybe you can get a demo SUV or something. Something like a Vitara.

You passed the major service mark, I'll push it till 150k and then re-evaluate. But that's just me.
Any case, don't know what your'e budget is or how much you still owe, but maybe you don't need to buy a smaller car, maybe you can get a demo SUV or something. Something like a Vitara.
My current installment is R3600.00 pm. I do not want to really go higher than that. I do see I can buy a brand new Nissan Quasqai for just R200.00 pm more. Now I am more than willing to trade my Kuga for it. But I do not have the R64k deposit they want at this installment.
If I am prepared to wait 2 years I will have it though.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Drive it till it breaks badly.
If you put the repayments you'd make on a new car into an investment, you'll be able to buy the next one cash, besides having a fund for repairs if needed.
Break out of the interest trap.

Sumen

Expert Member
Currently I drive a 2012 Ford Kuga 2.5 Turbo. I believe this model is not affected by the Kuga fires?
My question is very simple. Should I continue to drive it for a couple more years, being out of warrantee and all. Or should I trade it in on a brand new smaller car and have a worry free 5 year manufacturers guarantee?
I just have my doubts. I really like this car and it drives great. The smaller new car will not come close to it, not even to mention the big drop in performance I will get.

What would you do? I still owe on this car. The new cars monthly premium will be roughly the same or let's say about R500.00 per month less. And use about half the fuel as well. I just wonder if the new smaller, slower car, with stress-free motoring will be worth it or should I continue to drive the older bigger better car that I love? I must admit that the Kuga currently gives me no reason to sorry about it's reliability. But things can go wrong, and without a warrantee it can be costly..

Can I also ask, besides the fact that the Kuga might have a chance of catching fire:crylaugh: what other expensive issues might this car give me? It's got 110k on the clock. Do these cars normally give expensive to fix problems? Or are they generally reliable and should I stress less and just drive it?
The car is 6 years, keep it for another 3 to 4 years, in meantime get a Holland Xtender warranty to cover the parts.

Maintaining any car is expensive once it gets old, you just need to be prepared for example taking out a warranty.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Err the 1st Gen Kuga, what you have, has zero reported blowing up issues.

The issues were with the 2nd Gen pre-facelift 1.6 EcoBoost models.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The car is 6 years, keep it for another 3 to 4 years, in meantime get a Holland Xtender warranty to cover the parts.

Maintaining any car is expensive once it gets old, you just need to be prepared for example taking out a warranty.
There's a point there too as cars outside of 10years have their benefits halved. Mine is 10 years old but only has 102k on the clock, good for many more years. Just make sure you service and maintain the vehicle and keep aside some for a rainy day. You lose nothing by keeping the car running as long as it's less than a car installment ( you have to judge ).

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Err the 1st Gen Kuga, what you have, has zero reported blowing up issues.

The issues were with the 2nd Gen pre-facelift 1.6 EcoBoost models.
I read all that only to find that its not the one with the fireball issue!? FML

OP - Keep it, burn it, do whatever you want, you are not in any sort of trouble with that one!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Quite a bit. I only bought it November last year. I did take out that compulsory mechanical breakdown insurance, so there is a bit of less worries.
There is no such thing as compulsory mechanical breakdown insurance ;)

Anyway, first you need to know yourself why you bought that car last year in the first place, to make sure you don't make the same mistake again.

Since it's relatively new, the "almost paid off and then just save what you would have paid" is not very applicable.

There is no such thing as compulsory mechanical breakdown insurance ;)
I was told if I do not take it as a optional extra, that the bank would most likely not approve my loan:(
But it is a bit of help if things go wrong.

I know of someone at work. He had engine troubles with a car he bought less than a year ago (secondhand), and the quote to repair was in the region of R50K. The mechanical breakdown insurance offered to pay R17K only!
I have no idea if the partial payment was due to normal wear and tear or some other reason.

I thought about it and will most likely be driving the car for the next two years. Then I will be able to afford a better and bigger new car, rather than settling for a small, under-powered new car for now.

Zophos

My current installment is R3600.00 pm. I do not want to really go higher than that. I do see I can buy a brand new Nissan Quasqai for just R200.00 pm more. Now I am more than willing to trade my Kuga for it. But I do not have the R64k deposit they want at this installment.
If I am prepared to wait 2 years I will have it though.
Nissan.jpg

Sure, with a 12% Deposit, and a 35% balloon.

I would not recommend doing this in any way, shape or form...

Keep driving it and get out of debt.

I don't believe in 3rd party extended warranties, and would rather just take my chances. If you don't have the R50k or so in your rainy day fund for the 1% chance that something serious goes wrong, it might be worth getting something.