• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Keeping My Telkom Mobile Sim Card while out of the country

TFTC

In August I will be traveling to the US for two years coming back in November 2020 and I would like to know if there is a sure, network guaranteed way to keep my mobile number until then without having to leave it with some to recharge from time to time or taking it with me and letting it roam so that that the number keeps active and doesn't get recycled. BTW how long does Telkom keep allow you to keep an inactive number before they recycle it?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
In August I will be traveling to the US for two years coming back in November 2020 and I would like to know if there is a sure, network guaranteed way to keep my mobile number until then without having to leave it with some to recharge from time to time or taking it with me and letting it roam so that that the number keeps active and doesn't get recycled. BTW how long does Telkom keep allow you to keep an inactive number before they recycle it?
Surely someone is willing to do that for you, whats the issue?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
there are always workarounds but I wanted to know if there is a solution that can be implemted at the service provider level
Any service can be bought, if the money is right. You just need to find that one rogue, dumb employee

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
there are always workarounds but I wanted to know if there is a solution that can be implemted at the service provider level
MTN has a service called MTN access for life. Maybe telkom has something similar:

. Access4Life Extender: If you wish to go out of South Africa and not use your SIM cards for a certain period, then you may extend the Access4Life period by paying R20 and add an additional 90 days to the period. Once the initial 90 days have passed, the additional 90 days will be added, keeping your MSISDN connected to the MTN network. Call 173 to “activate” the service and load sufficient airtime into your evergreen wallet to cover the period. The service will continuously deduct R20 from your evergreen wallet for every 90 days that elapses while the service is active. You will need to cancel the service upon your return to South Africa; otherwise the service will continue to deduct R20 every 90 days until it is cancelled.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Cell C WiFi calling on the second SIM. You will receive calls for free, pay like for the local calls and stay in touch with your SA number.

If you don't have compatible phone, then you need voice and SMS roaming enabled by the network operator, but disable data roaming on your phone. Cancel all call forwarding including voice-mail before leaving South Africa, as any voice message will cost you twice. You can do it with USSD code ##002#, verify response. With such setup you can receive SMS and calls, you will see caller ID. Ignore calls if you don't want to be billed, you can response by Telegram, Whatsapp or Email.