Khoisan 4 in third dangerous week of hunger strike at Union Buildings

Grant

Honorary Master
A group of Khoisan activists who have embarked on a live-in protest at the Union Buildings are facing a rough Christmas as their hunger strike enters its third week.

The activists walked for two weeks from the Eastern Cape to Pretoria and are demanding to meet with President Jacob Zuma.

They want formal recognition of the Khoisan language and of the Khoisan as "first citizens".
“The sad thing is that our families may never see us again,” says Chief Khoisan SA, weeping.

He and fellow activist Christian Martin have been living off ice and water for 16 days. Martin was admitted to hospital after experiencing chest pains.
“What exhausts us more is when the paramedics told us when I was 2.8 that this state of myself is in such a nature that if I go to sleep I might not wake up, I might go into a coma,” says Martin.

“Will it mean I and my colleague have to depart from this world in order for you [Zuma] to hear the demand of our people?' says Chief Khoisan SA. "All we need from you is just 20 minutes to come to the Union Buildings and take the memorandum and sign it and then we will go from there.”

Says Martin: “When I hear the voice of my wife, the voice of the children, my tears start rolling ... especially during this time, which is family time, so the president is going to be with his family and all government people are going to be with their families ... all we want is just to speak with the president and off we'll go home and be with our families.”

Zuma has given his word that he will meet with the Khoisan 4 early next year. But at this rate, it seems time isn’t on their side.
https://www.enca.com/south-africa/khoisan-4-in-third-dangerous-week-of-hunger-strike-at-union-buildings

zizo911

Executive Member
Geez... can't he make 20 minutes for Them , not like he has anything better to do.

Milano

Honorary Master
And have to reschedule time with the Guptas? Not a chance. They should really demand to meet with the Guptas.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Pity his word means nothing. And I suppose if they die it will pretty much go unreported.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
And have to reschedule time with the Guptas? Not a chance. They should really demand to meet with the Guptas.
Pity they have nothing to offer. Guptas won't even answer their phone calls.

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
Geez... can't he make 20 minutes for Them , not like he has anything better to do.
it's times like these that apart from the fraud, rape & corruption, one realises just what an utter k*nt he really is

Nick333

Honorary Master
Ok, Zuma's a bastid for not taking 20 minutes of his time to talk to these people so that they don't starve themselves to death, but wtf? You're willing to kill yourselves for what exactly? How many Khoisan speakers are there exactly? And wtf is a first citizen?

Moosedrool

Expert Member
No one cares for the Khoisan. everyone is still arguing who took who's land and stuff.

Oh wait a darn minute!

C4Cat

Executive Member
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2017-12-24-khoisan-four-end-hunger-strike-after-meeting-ramaphosa/

After an almost three-week hunger strike four Khoisan activists have ended their protest on the lawns of the Union Buildings in Pretoria.

On Sunday Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa met with the four Khoisan men‚ who had walked more than 1‚200km to demand that their voices be heard.
eNCA reported on Sunday that Ramaphosa assured the four that he was taking their demands seriously.

The report also stated that the activists had “expressed their appreciation that Ramaphosa had broken from his pre-Christmas schedule to meet with them”.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
You're willing to kill yourselves for what exactly?
Recognition. The Khoi and San are not drawn into the conversation about land and retribution and repayment for wrongs done to them. They have no way to claim for the land their ancestors lost, and they're made to feel like outsiders in the very land their ancestors roamed. No-one caters for their needs in parliament, and their first nation status is not recognised in our constitution.

How many Khoisan speakers are there exactly?
Does it matter? They're a part of our history. We need to preserve that.

And wtf is a first citizen?
They probably intended it to be taken like First Nations are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nations

And some background on why they're doing this and what must have started their planning this:

Deputy Minister Obed Bapela, who is responsible for traditional affairs, warned the National Assembly’s portfolio committee on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs this week against some of the demands by Khoisan leaders, who are getting statutory recognition from the government for the first time since 1994.

Bapela addressed MPs a day before they took off for their nationwide public hearings on the Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership Bill, which provides for, among other things, the statutory recognition of the legitimate Khoisan leadership and communities, and has been in the pipeline for some time.

“Let’s not go into the temptation of giving them the first-nation status.

“If we go that route, it’s unsustainable … because they would then want their own government within the government system that we have,” said Bapela.

He explained that the UN definition of first nation is applicable in Latin America and Canada, where people were completely removed from their land and some arrived and settled there.

He said that in South Africa, the land still belongs to the Khoisan, together with other indigenous people of Africa, “rather than the first nation because we do not know who arrived at which point, when and where, and that history is not easy to trace”.
https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/first-nation-status-for-khoisan-unsustainable-20161126

That bill has gone through parliament, but didn't receive the DA or the EFF's approval. It still has to be ratified by the NCOP, I assume.

http://ewn.co.za/2017/11/07/national-assembly-passes-traditional-and-khoisan-leadership-bill

schumi

Honorary Master
New protest for last nine months

Protesting Khoisan claim they have been told to move to allow grass to grow

Almost nine months after Khoisan protesters set up a makeshift kraal outside the Union Buildings next to Nelson Mandela's statue, they say they are now being forced to move so that the grass can grow back.
Sitting in the middle of the kraal surrounded by protest posters and worn tents, Chief Khoisan SA, who has led the protest since the end of November 2018, maintained the kraal would remain where it was until their demands were met.
This after an official from the Department of Public Works allegedly told them they would be moved to a different area to allow the grass to grow back.
"We will stand our ground, we are not going to move," Chief Khoisan SA told News24 on Tuesday.
Many of the protesters believed they were being moved to a different area because the Mandela statue was a popular tourist attraction.
"Out of sight, out of mind," one protester commented.
News24 contacted the Public Works Department for comment, which was not received at the time of publishing.

New group at the Union Buildings

Chief Khoisan SA also invited a new group into the kraal on Monday, effectively making the circle bigger.

More at:
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/protesting-khoisan-claim-they-have-been-told-to-move-to-allow-grass-to-grow-20190813

mushroom

there by us is a kuk clever iaja man and he did tell me the land actually belong to the kallit ppl and we gona control the land again we must just learn to stand bymeka

mattrudlles

i did forget where it stand but he did open the bible and show us and it was also something bout abraham and thats why there so alot of kallits with the surname abrahams
What do you do for a living mushroom?