Kids pocket money

Do you have kids (especially the smaller ones)? I was always forgetting to give them the money or have the right change when they wanted it so I made this web app kidsMOOLA.com. Still a bit rough but I am using it for my own kids. Any feedback welcome.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
From the website:
So you signup. Add each of your childrens name. Then specify how much and how regularly they receive their pocket money (lets say $10 every week) and Presto! Once a week their virtual account will be incremented by $10. So when you are at the shop and they want to buy something, you pay for it (like you normally do) and then you can login to the site via your smartphone, tablet or pc and subtract the amount from their virtual account. And when they receive that $100 gift from Aunt Judith you add it to their virtual account(so you don't feel bad when you use that $100 bill the next time you are at the shop - it has been accounted for!). When they need cash you give it to them and then subtract the amount from their virtual account. kidsMOOLA...problem solved.
So in essence a record of the money you gave them ...you still physically have to give them cash ?

From the website:

So in essence a record of the money you gave them ...you still physically have to give them cash ?
Yes, it just makes it easier to account for. When they are with you, you pay for whatever and subtract it from their virtual account but sometimes they do need cash for school tuck shop ect.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Yes, it just makes it easier to account for. When they are with you, you pay for whatever and subtract it from their virtual account but sometimes they do need cash for school tuck shop ect.
Great concept. Can see a lot of potential for this as long as you keep it simple.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Just an idea....

Maybe add an option for a recurring 'deposit' i.e. Rxx.xx to be added every 1st of the month or maybe a reminder to be sent to the phone to remind when pocket money is due...

Just an idea....

Maybe add an option for a recurring 'deposit' i.e. Rxx.xx to be added every 1st of the month or maybe a reminder to be sent to the phone to remind when pocket money is due...
Well it is currently a recurring weekly deposit...so their virtual balance grows even if you forget about it for a while.

zippy

Executive Member
Do you have kids (especially the smaller ones)? I was always forgetting to give them the money or have the right change when they wanted it so I made this web app kidsMOOLA.com. Still a bit rough but I am using it for my own kids. Any feedback welcome.
lol. Seriously ? A web app to remember to give your kids pocket money ?

Why not just do a debit order into their a/c. Or set a reminder on your smartphone(you can even setup a reminder to remind you that you have kids :D ). Or even better. Put the onus on them to remind you.

F

Fudzy

Wow, how much of a absent minded parent do you have to be to need this app?

MKFrost

Expert Member
lol. Seriously ? A web app to remember to give your kids pocket money ?
I don't think its so much about being reminded but rather about providing a tool to keep a check on the balance. Kids often get parents to pay for this and that and this never gets taken off their pocket money as the parents forget to brings these things into account.

So I can see a use for the app.

Personally, on the debit order plan as you mention. Kid has his own Capitec account and card and monthly gets paid his pocket money from which he buys everything he needs, even his own toiletries. Have to learn, the sooner the better.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Wow, how much of a absent minded parent do you have to be to need this app?
You need to be me.

Each his own and I like this concept. Reminds me of a kiddies cheque book that a lady in Pretoria was selling to teach kids about banking.

Well the OP got me thinking of writing a native kiddies cash register app for the sweets cupboard. I like the virtual currency system.

F

Fudzy

You need to be me.

Each his own and I like this concept. Reminds me of a kiddies cheque book that a lady in Pretoria was selling to teach kids about banking.

Well the OP got me thinking of writing a native kiddies cash register app for the sweets cupboard. I like the virtual currency system.
I don't think you're allowed to call them natives anymore. :D ;P

Seriously though, why not just keep a spreadsheet in Google Docs?

DominionZA

Executive Member
Nice idea. I don't need an app though cause my kids remind me it is time to make a deposit into their eWallets.
We used to constantly hand over cash through the month for going out, etc... Got hard to manage so I bumped their pocket money to R850 for eldest and R650 for second eldest and now they work within their own budget. Much easier.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I don't think you're allowed to call them natives anymore. :D ;P

Seriously though, why not just keep a spreadsheet in Google Docs?
My kids are 3 & 6. Google docs might be a slight challenge and lacks the fun 'n geek factor of writing my own app for them.

sp4ceman

Nice idea. I don't need an app though cause my kids remind me it is time to make a deposit into their eWallets.
We used to constantly hand over cash through the month for going out, etc... Got hard to manage so I bumped their pocket money to R850 for eldest and R650 for second eldest and now they work within their own budget. Much easier.
**** dude. i used to get 50 and it lasted the month.