Kids selling lemonade and things inside security estate

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I lived in a gated complex with 50 units and everybody knew everybody. The kids used to sell doughnuts and all kinds of **** (door to door) every weekend and I've never had an issue with it - I don't think any of the parents did.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Door to door is a las (but it's important for the child. We need entrepreneurs)

The lemonade stand, fck people that is perfect, support the child's they are little entrepreneurs what else do you want them to do instead, smoke pot, eat Crack and fck each other.

That's why this country is where it is today
Agreed 100%. :thumbsup:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Sure. Our estate isn't big, 50 units or so, but quite a few little ones running around. Once or twice they've had a stall in our park area selling juice, home-made slime/ playdough. Don't think anyone has ever gotten permission actually, they just pitch up.

We've had a few of the older comes going door to door selling things for school projects, but then the parents normally give a warning beforehand.

Ah brings back memories, going round the neighbourhood with the school raffle sheet and your bag of coins, telling everyone the year your school was founded.
School raffle is different IMO. Getting warning in advance from parents too.

3WA

Executive Member
Report them to the Food and Allied Workers Union. They'll be shut down chop chop.

Daruk

Honorary Master

The lemonade stand, fck people that is perfect, support the child's they are little entrepreneurs what else do you want them to do instead, smoke pot, eat Crack and fck each other.

Perfect with blessing of the parents. Not ideal without - especially if parents are absent / at work when it happens. It's not the same world as it was in 1970-1990 (or before).
Pedos live everywhere for example.

livw88

Personally I don't have a problem if a CHILD has a little stand outside their place selling stuff. They will learn a lot about money and business that way which is good. I do have a problem if they go from door to door.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Yea, outside their house on the sidewalk sounds ok, but the stand at the estate entrance and walking towards cars sounds dangerous to me.

We have the same in our estate - kids bake (or get their parents to help them bake) and they set up stalls on their own driveways. It is mostly over the holidays. All for this idea and we support these little entrepreneurs when we see them.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Thor, this is probably the most sensible post I have seen you made on MyBB :thumbsup:

Sepeng

Expert Member
Getting warning in advance from parents too.
It's nice but also, someone rings our bell to sell biscuits and I wasn't notified beforehand, think I'll live.
But like I said, our place is pretty small so we already have random children wandering into our house without any notice, looking for my kids to go play with.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Perfect with blessing of the parents. Not ideal without - especially if parents are absent / at work when it happens. It's not the same world as it was in 1970-1990 (or before).
Pedos live everywhere for example.
Pedos lived everywhere back than as well. The difference is we are more aware of it and helicopter parenting has taken over.
Back to OP, if they were in front of their own unit than sure, but right by the gate nooope. The complex I used to live in was great for kids for a good couple of years, than the old people started their kak. Now think there might be only one or two kids left, everyone with kids moved.

surface

Executive Member
Well sure but, how big an inconvenience is this really? Once a day for 5 seconds then done?
Sure. There are health aspects as well. Kids are playing football at same time and once they see cars come in, they come and they pour lemonade. Parents of same kids will freak out if some other "specific" kids pull this stunt. I really have no issue if they setup outside their house. I am annoyed that it is at entrance.

But thanks - at least you didn't hold me responsible for this country's problems - I will take it. :cool:

maumau

Honorary Master
Don't live in a complex but NO WAY.

People must leave me alone in my own space.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Sure. There are health aspects as well. Kids are playing football at same time and once they see cars come in, they come and they pour lemonade. Parents of same kids will freak out if some other "specific" kids pull this stunt. I really have no issue if they setup outside their house. I am annoyed that it is at entrance.

But thanks - at least you didn't hold me responsible for this country's problems - I will take it. :cool:
Out of interest, where did you emigrate from?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Pedos lived everywhere back than as well. The difference is we are more aware of it and helicopter parenting has taken over.
Back to OP, if they were in front of their own unit than sure, but right by the gate nooope. The complex I used to live in was great for kids for a good couple of years, than the old people started their kak. Now think there might be only one or two kids left, everyone with kids moved.
No, lawlessness is clearly more a thing now than it was then, particularly in areas that fell under normal government service. We could roam the streets at 5 years old. I could walk home from creche with my boet at 4-5 years old. Pedos were around, but it was considered enough for parents to teach kids not to accept lifts from strangers, etc. Obviously stuff happened back then, but it affected the marginalised way more. I do agree that helicopter parenting is more a thing now and we're more aware of stuff today, but it's also definitely more pervasive in middle class and higher society.

Back then if you laid a charge, there was way better chance of it sticking and a prosecution.

Lupus

Honorary Master
No, lawlessness is clearly more a thing now than it was then, particularly in areas that fell under normal government service. We could roam the streets at 5 years old. I could walk home from creche with my boet at 4-5 years old.
Doesn't stop the fact that paedos existed, which they did. General lawlessness is a problem now, not that other thing.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Doesn't stop the fact that paedos existed, which they did. General lawlessness is a problem now, not that other thing.
Not that other thing?
Of course paedos existed as did every other type of criminal, but to claim that SA is as safe for those in government serviced areas today as it was then is not true.
Even the mere fact that there are way more people around today means you are more likely to have pedos living nearby than ever.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not that other thing?
Of course paedos existed as did every other type of criminal, but to claim that SA is as safe for those in government serviced areas today as it was then is not true.
Did I say it was safer, I just pointed out they existed.