Kim Dotcom decries “largest data massacre” after company deletes files

Ryansr

Expert Member
Maybe he just felt the same way as most of us do after a hard drive crashed and most of our data could not be recovered.:D

chrisc

Executive Member
That is what happens when you don't pay the bill.

A client asked me to back up his engineering drawings and replace his HDD, install Windows and his CAD software, get a new licence, etc. Backups were to be put on DVDs. He collected the PC (but forgot to take the two DVDs) and promised to send me an EFT. 4 months on I am still waiting. Now he wants his data back, but they might have been disposed of with the old HDD, I don't know...

latro

A client asked me to back up his engineering drawings and replace his HDD, install Windows and his CAD software, get a new licence, etc. Backups were to be put on DVDs. He collected the PC (but forgot to take the two DVDs) and promised to send me an EFT. 4 months on I am still waiting. Now he wants his data back, but they might have been disposed of with the old HDD, I don't know...

:D

Little Mac

Honorary Master

Just tell him sorry...
I.T. happens

Little Mac

Honorary Master
+1

He is crying about 10000000000000000000000 copies of twilight.

Good grief! He had better not be!

its_done_twilight_is_finally_over-182741.jpg

killadoob

Honorary Master

Dude tell me, if that client was worth 175 million and his assets were frozen pending the outcome of a trial, would you wait for outcome before deleting or would you think wait this is a major client that will never make use of our services again. Your example is not even close to the same thing. The client simply doesn't want to pay you. dotcom has no access to his fortune at the moment but he will possibly in the future.

Seems like an idiotic thing to have done. You lose a massive client who has a huge following. That is the way i see it. Your example seems like you should start getting money upfront and then do the job or at least a deposit.

sal12344

Unfortunate yes, do I believe him? No. As a business owner bad debt book I say fook him..!! Tell your bank you will pay your car when your criminal case is over and see what happens....

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Dude tell me, if that client was worth 175 million and his assets were frozen pending the outcome of a trial, would you wait for outcome before deleting or would you think wait this is a major client that will never make use of our services again. .

That's irrelevant. There's 630 servers depreciating rapidly. They have to re-purpose them before they're obsolete, so they can try and get back some of the money they paid for them. It actually surprises me they kept the servers for a whole year with a giant outstanding bill.

Seems like an idiotic thing to have done. You lose a massive client who has a huge following. That is the way i see it.

Huge following of warez kiddies who really aren't in the enterprise-class dedicated box market. And a client that's probably cost them millions in the last year. Sometimes, clients are more trouble than they're worth. Added to this, Kim has a habit of playing fast and loose with the truth, I'm betting the LeaseWeb guys did notify him and/or his lawyers the servers were being erased - they had nothing to lose doing that and have no reason to hide having done it - it's standard practice.

Your example seems like you should start getting money upfront and then do the job or at least a deposit.

No... in his example his client was 4 months overdue on a bill. Kim was a year overdue. Business is business.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
What I want to know is how he drives one of the cars in that pic if he is almost as wide as both seats?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
No... in his example his client was 4 months overdue on a bill. Kim was a year overdue. Business is business.

I agree with this, I would have dropped him like a hot potato. Its not like Kim didnt have money to pay them, he will still leading his fancy lifestyle but not paying them. I would have re-purposed those servers and deleted his junk sooner than they did.

Valerion

Expert Member
I agree with this, I would have dropped him like a hot potato. Its not like Kim didnt have money to pay them, he will still leading his fancy lifestyle but not paying them. I would have re-purposed those servers and deleted his junk sooner than they did.

Remember that the courts froze the company's assets. He was not allowed to pay any bills. And he couldn't use his personal money to settle corporate accounts - there are some laws against that, IIRC.