Kindly delete thread.

eyc

ROFLMAO, you have to be joking. MWEB shapes and throttles all their accounts. Even the capped accounts are shaped, with gaming traffic suppose to be prioritized
Steady now ... I`m sharing my experience. It is what it is , my torrents are running at full tilt. Perhaps it`s because the traffic dont go via their IPC that Vuma are different ?

DERoestorf

Steady now ... I`m sharing my experience. It is what it is , my torrents are running at full tilt. Perhaps it`s because the traffic dont go via their IPC that Vuma are different ?
Again, even on their website they clearly state that gaming traffic is prioritized, that is shaping.

You might not feel it now, but doesn't mean it is not happening.

If you are on vumatel trenched, then you are probably not feeling it now, as there is no congestion on the network affecting your traffic, however, if you start adding devices to your network, you will start feeling it.

eyc

Again, even on their website they clearly state that gaming traffic is prioritized, that is shaping.

You might not feel it now, but doesn't mean it is not happening.

If you are on vumatel trenched, then you are probably not feeling it now, as there is no congestion on the network affecting your traffic, however, if you start adding devices to your network, you will start feeling it.
We`ve got a fair amount of devices connected , probably always between 2 and 7 ( 4 phones , 1 TV , 1 laptop and Xbox ) and it`s been pretty sweet so far. Streaming in HD is superb and I dont hear the kids complain about gaming ( probably because it`s prioritized :) ). If it goes pearshape I`ll jump ship , but for now things are really good... disclaimer , I have a good friend working there , so I`m probably biased.

neoprema

Expert Member
i'm still getting such rubbish on WebAfrica I just don't know what to do. Tonight i'm getting 3.8mbps on 100 FIBRE!!

When i log calls, they just say the same thing - they reset the port and I should try rebooting my modem....

Thing is if i cancel now, they gonna want their stupid Vuma installation fee back...

waylander

Expert Member
I'm updating this post with more detailed information and a greater scope of providers, if any provider would like to provide me with additional information they would like to share, please PM me before the end of the week.

Treschen

Looks likes cool ideas also peer with Angola Cables as well

Cool Ideas (AS37680)
Uses HE, IS, eNetworks, Seacom, Liquid, WIOCC

Tinuva

The Magician
I'm updating this post with more detailed information and a greater scope of providers, if any provider would like to provide me with additional information they would like to share, please PM me before the end of the week.
You know what would be super awesome, is if you could summarize some of the info in to a simple website like the AWS EC2 instanec info page at https://www.ec2instances.info/

That would make information semi searchable and easier to review than looking over a forum post.

Veck

This is a very interesting read! For the past few months I have been having issues regarding slow international speeds. This is fine for most of the day, but around 6-7 ish in the evening until 9-10 ish, my international speeds are beyond useless. I cant keep a 160p stream with a bitrate of 167Kbps running on a 20Meg ADSL line.

I performed some trace routs and this is the important part:
4 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 154.po-channel50.vic-ipc-1.optinet.net [197.80.96.162]
5 334 ms 200 ms 183 ms te0-0-0-3.vic-p-1.optinet.net [197.80.7.65]
6 348 ms 391 ms 182 ms s2-po0-3-2-0.thd-p-2.optinet.net [197.80.5.7]
7 300 ms 245 ms 183 ms be-2-776-thd-up-2.optinet.net [176.67.177.235]
8 252 ms 281 ms 294 ms xe-10-1-3.edge4.London1.Level3.net [212.113.14.121]

Im using Optinet (never heard of them) and then its handed over to Level3.
Is anyone on MWEB having the same issue? Are there any better routes i can ask them to put me on?
Then again I might have a better chance in curing cancer then succeed in this.

ranger

Expert Member
Is anyone on MWEB having the same issue? Are there any better routes i can ask them to put me on?
I believe MWEB uses optinet.net as the domain name for the reverse DNS records on their network equipment (at least for IPs used on their edge routers on connections with other ISPs).

Tinuva

The Magician
This is a very interesting read! For the past few months I have been having issues regarding slow international speeds. This is fine for most of the day, but around 6-7 ish in the evening until 9-10 ish, my international speeds are beyond useless. I cant keep a 160p stream with a bitrate of 167Kbps running on a 20Meg ADSL line.

Looks like at least 1 of the IPC links running at MAX capacity, Victory park. (vic = is Optinet's code for Victory park in JHB).

You should be able to test using an account from another ISP to see that you don't get the same latency issue at the same time, just to make sure its not your exchange that is congested.

Use a 1GB test account from the ISPs that give them out for free.

Veck

Looks like at least 1 of the IPC links running at MAX capacity, Victory park. (vic = is Optinet's code for Victory park in JHB).

You should be able to test using an account from another ISP to see that you don't get the same latency issue at the same time, just to make sure its not your exchange that is congested.

Use a 1GB test account from the ISPs that give them out for free.
Yes i got a account with Afrihost as soon as i saw this happens. I could stream at max quality and no buffering. as soon as i switched back to MWEB its lagging. So that means it is a international traffic issue that MWEB have now

Yes i got a account with Afrihost as soon as i saw this happens. I could stream at max quality and no buffering. as soon as i switched back to MWEB its lagging. So that means it is a international traffic issue that MWEB have now
Just beware that it's in Afrihost's interest to make those 1GB accounts seem good... I had capped ADSL with Afrihost before switching to LTE and it was occasionally dog slow. Mostly usable but sometimes... Not.

We have the same issue with MWEB for the last 2 weeks, our 100Mbps Openserve fibre went from 4-5ms latency to a few hundred ms with almost no international access. Have a 200GByte capped deal, but once we ran out of data and bought a top-up, things start going south fast.

From 1st November the latency is back to 4-5ms and local speeds close to the fibre max again, but international at 1Mbps if I am lucky. Typical Mweb support quality: "please reset your modem, etc". even though I send them graphs etc. showing that switching our dual WAN router/Firewall to the backup RAIN LTE link and with no other changes, we get average >30Mbps download speeds using the same test servers in the UK/Europe.

THUS MY ADVICE - Stay away from MWEB

Attachments

Veck

We have the same issue with MWEB for the last 2 weeks, our 100Mbps Openserve fibre went from 4-5ms latency to a few hundred ms with almost no international access. Have a 200GByte capped deal, but once we ran out of data and bought a top-up, things start going south fast.

From 1st November the latency is back to 4-5ms and local speeds close to the fibre max again, but international at 1Mbps if I am lucky. Typical Mweb support quality: "please reset your modem, etc". even though I send them graphs etc. showing that switching our dual WAN router/Firewall to the backup RAIN LTE link and with no other changes, we get average >30Mbps download speeds using the same test servers in the UK/Europe.

THUS MY ADVICE - Stay away from MWEB
When you call them they say there is nothing wrong. So it must be shaping. So well if I pay 1.6k a month for a 20meg package and only get full international speeds when they deem it fit, I'd rather cancel my package. Going with microwave next month anyway. Go to cool ideas. Get a slower internet package if you have to, just stay away from that pathetic excuse for a ISP

When you call them they say there is nothing wrong. So it must be shaping. So well if I pay 1.6k a month for a 20meg package and only get full international speeds when they deem it fit, I'd rather cancel my package. Going with microwave next month anyway. Go to cool ideas. Get a slower internet package if you have to, just stay away from that pathetic excuse for a ISP
4-11-2018 - the sage continues with MWEB continuing to say there is nothing wrong on their side!
O yes, and logging a query - "Sorry MWEB customers who are paying for 24x7 services - We (MWEB) are only available on business days 8am-5pm".

What a joke paying MWEB for a 100Mbps, 24x7 Fibre capped service
(Thus there should not be any shaping of Fair Use policies in play)

MWEB INternational Routing Probleme 4-11-2018.png

Please choose you uWave supplier and equipment carefully - we had tried using uWave as a DR backup link - many month of frustration later we cancel it all due to coninuous "flapping", and the moment humidity gets a bit high the bit error rate goes through the roof. And don't forget about that rainy afternoons, you can forget about having any coms.

Veck

Please choose you uWave supplier and equipment carefully - we had tried using uWave as a DR backup link - many month of frustration later we cancel it all due to coninuous "flapping", and the moment humidity gets a bit high the bit error rate goes through the roof. And don't forget about that rainy afternoons, you can forget about having any coms.
We have a family friend that is using it for the past few months, he was our trial run. We are close to a tower so the signal doesn't have to go far. They are coming next week Tuesday to do a covarage check. Let's hope I can make the switch

Veck

4-11-2018 - the sage continues with MWEB continuing to say there is nothing wrong on their side!
O yes, and logging a query - "Sorry MWEB customers who are paying for 24x7 services - We (MWEB) are only available on business days 8am-5pm".

What a joke paying MWEB for a 100Mbps, 24x7 Fibre capped service
(Thus there should not be any shaping of Fair Use policies in play)

View attachment 574747
This will go on until the cows come home. They are not going to change their shaping policy. They have more than enough resources to give every user a decent service. They simply choose not to. It just boggles my mind that this exists on a fiber connection? And how can smaller ISP's give you a service better than one of the largest ISP's in SA?
I hope you find a solution to this. Then again you might find a unicorn first :)