Kingston HyperX H2O 4GB DDR3 RAM kit review (MyBroadband)

snobee

After a lot of reading before I upgraded a few months ago, I eventually turned down the water cooling option, and used the Noctua cooler instead. I did find an article that also questioned massive heatsinks for RAM, and in general the extra cooling is relatively just hype and overkill for RAM. In fact, to fit my Noctua on the motherboard I had to remove the heatsinks on two of my three RAM modules, and from what I can see with a bit of air blowing over the motherboard, the temps are fine.
As much as I may consider this "money in the water", I wouldn't necessarily laught at someone buying it, especially as I would be considered a hypocrite, considering some others would say my computer was overkill in some aspects.

stricken

Expert Member
druel. water cooling is not about cooling for me... its about having my computer on in the room, and only hearing very soft hum of the pump and not the cacophony of 20 fans drying my hair while i walk past.

nihilist

Expert Member
While it is fairly obvious that RAM running at higher clock speeds and relatively low latencies should perform better than at lower clock speeds, this performance doesn't always translate to applications in a significant way.

Yep, that's why I opted for a fairly standard pair of 4GB modules @ 1333mhz for my I7 2600k, the end results for 'better' modules just doesn't justify paying ass loads of money for it.

016_3dmark_cpu.png

030_xvid.png

ETeDV.png

7th day adventist church

People still overclock their PCs? I thought this went out of fashion 10 years ago when there was still reason to do so. What's the drive behind it if you can buy a PC for R4000 today and have it play all the latest games quite comfortably?

Or is it just that Last of the Nerdhicans breed that has yet to die out?

nihilist

Expert Member
People still overclock their PCs? I thought this went out of fashion 10 years ago when there was still reason to do so. What's the drive behind it if you can buy a PC for R4000 today and have it play all the latest games quite comfortably?

erm, think of it as the modern version of hot rodding and car tuning, I guess. I overclocked my old quad core CPU when it was getting old and it actually helped quite a bit in some areas where I needed more horse power, not just for games.

Also your comment about buying a PC for R4k is a bit naive, sure it'll run quite a lot of games, but not the higher end ones at full detail.

snobee

erm, think of it as the modern version of hot rodding and car tuning, I guess. I overclocked my old quad core CPU when it was getting old and it actually helped quite a bit in some areas where I needed more horse power, not just for games.

Also your comment about buying a PC for R4k is a bit naive, sure it'll run quite a lot of games, but not the higher end ones at full detail.

I agree, it is naive. I am associated with R4000 to R8000 computers everyday... a R4000/R5000 computer with an Nvidia or ATI graphics card (bottom range) will get you to play every game out there, but many a game today will not play in all its stunning glory. Try raising your resolution to 1920x1080 with max graphics on a 22 to 24 inch (which are now pretty popular) and play TW: Shogun II on a R4k pc. J J J J J J J Jerkyyyy... or hardly playing at all.
Some play golf, my hobby is pc games.

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
Calling us nerds, on a thread about an article on water cooled RAM, on a forum dedicated to Braodband and Technology, priceless. ;)
lol well said..

Anyways.. so um jes how about donating me a set of that ram for an extended test :D ?

killadoob

Honorary Master

LOL you realize as hardware develops so does software so it is exactly the same as before, more power needed to run more powerful programs/games

I highly doubt a 4k rig could run the latest games comfortably because as hardware grows so does the gaming sector. Dx 10 now dx 11 we may as well all just run p4's with 1 gb ram and a 8600gt for crysis 2

I would rather be considered a nerd than an idiot though :D. Big up to us nerds :p

Last edited:

GreyBush

Executive Member
So... they didn't test it with watercooling? And they never took it to 2133 Mhz???

I really don't see the point in watercooling RAM anyway rather buy a few sticks with good air cooling.

7th day adventist church

LOL you realize as hardware develops so does software so it is exactly the same as before, more power needed to run more powerful programs/games

I highly doubt a 4k rig could run the latest games comfortably because as hardware grows so does the gaming sector. Dx 10 now dx 11 we may as well all just run p4's with 1 gb ram and a 8600gt for crysis 2

Actually with a R2000 xbox I can run all the latest games at 1080p on my 47" LED TV.

Veneficus

Actually with a R2000 xbox I can run all the latest games at 1080p on my 47" LED TV.

ya right you mean you can run all the latest XBOX 360 games on that
That obviously excludes all the games that isn't released on XBOX

I would like to see you run the new cliffs of dover game on any machine costing R4000 or lower (at least at playable framerates)

killadoob

Honorary Master

o are we talking about pc's or consoles? us nerds get so confused when the clever people talk about one thing and then another thing. Compare 4k pc's to consoles and then talk about overclocking.

Have you overclocked your xbox yet? I would imagine since you are not a nerd you would have overclocked it something sick :D.

zamicro

Expert Member

Well no because it runs all my games fine :/

This nice R4000 pc of your (or R2000 xbox for that matter), how long does it take to render in blender? Oh, wait, you do not care about time... Only the nerds care about their time.