Kingston launches their fastest USB 3.0 flash drive in South Africa

NomNom

Executive Member
This has been out since like two months ago maybe even 3 :/

NomNom

Executive Member
I will only be interested in getting a USB 3 flash drive when they build it in a way that you don't require the stupid cable to make it backwards compatible to USB 2, either they make a super connector that can do both, or make a USB 2 connector on the one side and a USB 3 connector on the other side.

JAM007

How does this compare to ESATA?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10141810-76.html

USB 3.0 will crush eSATA, FireWire

"The current USB 2.0 specification runs at a theoretical maximum speed of 480Mbps"

"Now, the juice: USB 3.0 promises a theoretical maximum rate of 5Gbps, meaning it's 10 times faster than USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is also full duplex, meaning it can upload and download simultaneously (it's bi-directional); USB 2.0 is only half duplex.

Put side by side with eSATA and FireWire 800, USB 3.0 is far superior. eSATA, an external connection that runs at the same speed as the internal SATA 1.0 bus, has a maximum theoretical of 3Gbps. This makes USB 3.0 faster than eSATA and about six times faster than FireWire 800 (full duplex at 800Mbps).

USB 3.0 also provides another advantage; while eSATA is faster than FireWire 800, unlike FireWire it cannot supply power. USB 3.0 has the advantage of being faster than both, even while supplying power.

Finally, USB 3.0 has improved power management, meaning that devices can move into idle, suspend, and sleep states. This potentially means more battery life out of laptops and other battery-based USB-supporting devices like cameras and mobile phones."

zamicro

Expert Member
This has been out since like two months ago maybe even 3 :/

+1
... the read/write speeds is also closer to 80/60 than the article's speeds of 100/70 :erm:

This is the G2 (Second generation). Hopefully it will run a lot cooler, as my current DTU3 is running hot. (But I am still very happy with it!)

I will only be interested in getting a USB 3 flash drive when they build it in a way that you don't require the stupid cable to make it backwards compatible to USB 2, either they make a super connector that can do both, or make a USB 2 connector on the one side and a USB 3 connector on the other side.

This depends on the power requirement. USB3 allow 850mA per port while USB2 only allows 500mA. That is why you need to use 2 USB2 ports.

If they can drop the power usage of this DTU3 to lower than 500mA, we would not need the cable. On my Gigabyte desktop, it works fine without cable (for USB2) as it supplies 1.5A per port.

Roadrunner

Expert Member
While faster speeds are always a good thing, having a wider data path is not going to make a significant difference on most thumb drives available today.

They will have to make the devices themself faster in order to take advantage of the wider data path.

No use having a highway all to yourself if your car cannot go any faster.

"Most USB flash drives have absolutely no need of USB 3.0 since they can't even saturate a USB 2.0 connection. Yet I'm sure they'll all end up moving into USB 3.0 packaging because people will think it somehow makes them faster. And they'll all claim a "peak" transfer speed of 4.8Gbit/sec which has nothing whatsoever to do with reality... "

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Well, THIS is about the fastest you can go on that open highway for now AFAIK. ;)

It's like walking around with the smallest portable SSD.

Tomtomtom

USB 3.0 will crush eSATA

No it won't. USB 3.0 for storage competes with external SATA 3.0 with power (eSATAp), which runs at 6 Gbit/s. That's 20% faster before we get into the overhead issues, which give a further advantage to SATA because it's native for mass storage, and USB isn't.

NomNom

Executive Member
Where can we buy this from? The G2 (2nd Generation one) not the first generation one that's easily found on sites like nivo.co.za ect