Kingston SSDNOW V+100 512GB review (MyBroadband)

e11eveN

SSD's do come with the bleeding edge price tag, but for an awesome boost in I/O performance (and a very noticeable boost in everyday user interface speed) a hybrid SSD might go along way for a much more palatable price tag.

I bought the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM drive end of last year to replace the standard drive that shipped with my laptop and I can highly recommend it to anyone. While it doesn't increase write performance, the read cache really does make everything feel *snappier*.

See the detailed Anandtech review.

I bought mine on the Prophecy store, I see it's now going for R1100.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
upgraded my 250gb sata to ocz vertex 2 100gb, windows don't show welcome screen, it just shows the desktop , and office 2007 installed less then 1 min o.o

even i was mind boggled how fast it is.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I recently put in an OCZ 128GB into my notebook. I replaced the primary (OS) HDD with the OCZ and in the second bay I put in a hybrid 500GB.
The difference is MASSIVE people. It makes your machine a different beast.

The OCZ was about R2,400 at Sybaritic and the hybrid around R1,100 (also at Sybaritic).

I have Windows 7 Ulitmate, VS2010, SQL Server, MS Office and a whole load of other crap installed on the SSD and sitting with around 60GB free. So as a primary HDD, 128GB seems to do the trick.

I cannot explain how big the difference is. You have to try it yourself.

DominionZA

Executive Member
upgraded my 250gb sata to ocz vertex 2 100gb, windows don't show welcome screen, it just shows the desktop , and office 2007 installed less then 1 min o.o

even i was mind boggled how fast it is.

haha - snap :)

I forgot to add... Normally when I do a re-install of my machine it can take almost a full day to get everything on and up and running. With the OCZ I was complete - 100% - in 2.5 hours.
And what hereticangel said...

zeely

I can only echo what mike and heretic have already said.

a 128gb SSD is the best bang for buck upgrade you can get for your laptop or pc. there is no other hardware for the same price that will have such a dramatic effect on speed.

its insane how fast everything is

Looney

Executive Member
They wanted to review a drive that is currently available in SA?

How about an article informing people that if they have the cash and can wait just a little bit longer, they can get the vertex 3 for their new sb rigs :)

Dan C

Honorary Master
Think by now everyone (well most) know what difference an SSD makes. But for me 120gb of SSD is enough. And Kingston looks a bit overpriced to me. G-Skill is cheaper and faster.

ponder

Honorary Master
Pfft, I want a 1TB DRAM based SSD! But it would require the annual budget of a small country to buy it.

NiTeD

Expert Member
Now for a 2TB @ R56,000 minimum, will it come with own OS and perceptive keyboard?

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
SSD's do come with the bleeding edge price tag, but for an awesome boost in I/O performance (and a very noticeable boost in everyday user interface speed) a hybrid SSD might go along way for a much more palatable price tag.

I bought the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM drive end of last year to replace the standard drive that shipped with my laptop and I can highly recommend it to anyone. While it doesn't increase write performance, the read cache really does make everything feel *snappier*.

See the detailed Anandtech review.

I bought mine on the Prophecy store, I see it's now going for R1100.

Hmmmm i am not certain the reason your pc boots faster on ssd's is because of the read or write but because your OS has faster access to the drive.

Do these hybrid's open things up as fast?

Sensorei

Executive Member
If you want a 512GB SSD I have a Toshiba SSD with the same controller chipset as this Kingston for R7500. Same speed. I just don't need it.

KiG

Has anyone tried to run two SSD's in a raid 0 array? Curious to know if there will be any performance gain?

zamicro

Expert Member

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Pros

- Speed
- Low power consumption
- Completely silent
- Minimal heat generation
- Garbage Cleaning technology promises good performance over extended period of time
- Nice upgrade bundle kit

Cons

- SSD technology is still ridiculously expensive, and R14,000 for a 512GB hard drive feels a bit insane
- 512GB is not a lot of disk space to work with these days, even as an OS drive

Great product, but when I think I spent approx. that value on my last PC, this is just not even remotely feasible for the average person. Yes, technology will come down in price, but it's pi in the sky right now at that price.