Kingston USB 3 flash drive – DT Ultimate 3.0 Gen 2 – review (MyBroadband)

Ecco

Executive Member
Articles like this should point out you need a USB 3 compatible motherboard to see these kind of speeds.

I know some less technical people who have bought drives, but didnt know it would be the same as USB 2 without a compatible motherboard.

Jola

Honorary Master
You don't need a USB3 motherboard, you get cheap USB3 expansion cards.

Sodan

Expert Member
For those without first-hand experience, take my word for it: it takes hours.

Filing a 4GB drive would therefore would take a good 7-8 minutes in a best-case scenario.

Even if we half the "best-case scenario", it'll take about 15 minutes, certainly not "hours".

So, time dilation much, Mr Author?

RaptorSA

Executive Member
You don't need a USB3 motherboard, you get cheap USB3 expansion cards.

True, but in terms of what Eccho was saying... The kind of person who doesn't even realize he doesn't have USB 3.0 support on his motherboards would probably suffer from a blood clot in the brain if you mention expansion cards.

DefecteD

Expert Member
True, but in terms of what Eccho was saying... The kind of person who doesn't even realize he doesn't have USB 3.0 support on his motherboards would probably suffer from a blood clot in the brain if you mention expansion cards.

lol

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Even if we half the "best-case scenario", it'll take about 15 minutes, certainly not "hours".

Rebuke duly noted and article updated to say "long" instead. I checked my logs and it doesn't *look* like I was anywhere near a black hole when I wrote this... Maybe my skull is acting as a mythical containment field for one of them miniature ones.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Articles like this should point out you need a USB 3 compatible motherboard to see these kind of speeds.

I know some less technical people who have bought drives, but didnt know it would be the same as USB 2 without a compatible motherboard.

While not as explicit as "You need to have a USB3 capable motherboard for this to work fully," the article now makes mention of the motherboard we used to conduct the tests.

Saajid

Expert Member

Rebuke duly noted and article updated to say "long" instead. I checked my logs and it doesn't *look* like I was anywhere near a black hole when I wrote this... Maybe my skull is acting as a mythical containment field for one of them miniature ones.

LMAO. This is why I love MyBB. Thanks for the review Jan - definitely useful. Perhpas do a follow up on what needs to be done in order for older machines to make the best of USB 3 (upgrade motherboard, expansion card, etc) and whether the bus speeds on these cards will be fast enough, or if it will just make the exercise pointless.

I'd definitely like to get USB 3 to do our backups. Unfortunately our Dell Poweredge R710 Rack-based sever only has USB 2.0 ports, and a serial port. Not much choice there, not even eSATA.

Ecco

Executive Member
While not as explicit as "You need to have a USB3 capable motherboard for this to work fully," the article now makes mention of the motherboard we used to conduct the tests.

Cool. Thanks for updating that, it might help some of the technically challenged.

Python009

I bought this for myself about a month ago:
Transcend StoreJet 25M3 640GB USB3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

And it was WAY better priced than the 64GB option in the article.

Super awesome. And the speeds are great. On USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports. Don't know the exact stats for the USB 2.0 ports, but it certainly feels faster. Then again, when one buys something, you'll make yourself believe that it is better. Still, I'm happy.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I bought this for myself about a month ago:
Transcend StoreJet 25M3 640GB USB3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

And it was WAY better priced than the 64GB option in the article.

Super awesome. And the speeds are great. On USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports. Don't know the exact stats for the USB 2.0 ports, but it certainly feels faster. Then again, when one buys something, you'll make yourself believe that it is better. Still, I'm happy.

Yeah, mechanical / magnetic storage is still *much* cheaper than solid state.

zamicro

Expert Member
I have one of the Gen1 models. Looks exactly the same with a bit lower speeds. I am very happy with it, and still thinks the R650 odd I paid for the 32GB is worthwhile.

Just one gripe I have, is the heat. This thing gets quite hot after a while. Does the Gen2 also heats up?

nanonyous

Expert Member
Got myself an 8gb ADATA USB3.0 stick from Uhmerikuh in August when my uncle came over, to use with ReadyBoost.

While it mightn't seem like much, the difference it makes is notable. Since I 'fixed' the speed of the thing to be better than the Kingston Datatraveler I was using before this [I broke the speeds of the drive by formatting it incorrectly when I got it] I've noticed a remarkable difference in overall system performance stability under high memory usage scenarios. I used the Kingston drive for about 6 months before getting this drive, and I used this one for about a month and a half at its broken speeds before 'fixing' it yesterday.

13/02/2011 The device (Kingston DT 101 G2) is suitable for a ReadyBoost cache. The random read speed is 6406 KB/sec. The random write speed is 4836 KB/sec.

08/08/2011 The device (ADATA USB Flash Drive) is suitable for a ReadyBoost cache. The random read speed is 11116 KB/sec. The random write speed is 5891 KB/sec.

09/20/2011 The device (ADATA USB Flash Drive) is suitable for a ReadyBoost cache. The random read speed is 11103 KB/sec. The random write speed is 24474 KB/sec.

It's a pity, though, that the genuinely fast USB 3.0 flash drives cost almost as much as getting an SSD with superior performance...

ElecEng

Concerning eSATA ports. The ones I have come across double up as USB ports. Not sure if this is part of their spec or a manufacturer specific feature (it works on my Toshiba S11 laptop). haven't tested the speed with my WD 2TB 3.5" USB3 HDD though. perhaps with a USB 3 device eSATA is faster than a USB 2.0 port.