Kirby Gordon tells FlySafair competitors to get better instead of trying to ground the airline

Thanks for that info. I’ll now avoid Lift and Airlink. Safair have always done what you’d expect from an airline, take you to where you’re going at a reasonable price and on time.

Last edited:
Lift, in particular, should go screw itself. Have never used it but having read all the negative stories about it, will never ever use it. If they go down, I'd celebrate.

Lift, in particular, should go screw itself. Have never used it but having read all the negative stories about it, will never ever use it. If they go down, I'd celebrate.
Your option is rather ill informed to say the least. Lift operates a decent product and has carved itself a unique niche in the market. This does not take away from Safair running a tight ship, although a far cry from their claimed “low cost” status.

I see nothing wrong with competitors looking to even out the playing field. The most likely outcome in all likelihood being a much needed update to antiquated laws, which would ultimately benefit all South Africans.

Having said that, those who usually make the loudest noise, have the most to hide. And Safair has been making a lot of noise of late.

Last edited:
I've been using FlySafair a lot recently and the only issues are their onboard refreshments and old Kirby Gordon boring the pants of passengers through the love of his own voice. Their prices for a 300ml can of Coke onboard, is more than one would pay for a 2lt in most places in SA. Their calculated price for 2lt Coke onboard would be R166 or R83 per liter. Their Biltong at R50 per 50g, works out to R1000 per kilogram, making them one of the most, if not the most expensive retailers in South Africa. They sell a 52g Bar-One at R25 each while retailers like Checkers sell the same item for R15. The 50g Niknaks they sell for R20 is available at most retailers for less than R7. They might have affordable flights, but they sure do try and make up for it by robbing their customers in other ways. Might make a good article, what snacks cost of different major modes of Transport.

I've been using FlySafair a lot recently and the only issues are their onboard refreshments and old Kirby Gordon boring the pants of passengers through the love of his own voice. Their prices for a 300ml can of Coke onboard, is more than one would pay for a 2lt in most places in SA. Their calculated price for 2lt Coke onboard would be R166 or R83 per liter. Their Biltong at R50 per 50g, works out to R1000 per kilogram, making them one of the most, if not the most expensive retailers in South Africa. They sell a 52g Bar-One at R25 each while retailers like Checkers sell the same item for R15. The 50g Niknaks they sell for R20 is available at most retailers for less than R7. They might have affordable flights, but they sure do try and make up for it by robbing their customers in other ways. Might make a good article, what snacks cost of different major modes of Transport.
FlySafair doesn't fly any route long enough to justify or need to consume any food or drinks.

LMAO. Do you know what Airlink charge for a coke?

Your option is rather ill informed to say the least. Lift operates a decent product and has carved itself a unique niche in the market. This does not take away from Safair running a tight ship, although a far cry from their claimed “low cost” status.

I see nothing wrong with competitors looking to even out the playing field. The most likely outcome in all likelihood being a much needed update to antiquated laws, which would ultimately benefit all South Africans.

Having said that, those who usually make the loudest noise, have the most to hide. And Safair has been making a lot of noise of late.
Why is my "option rather ill-informed" and what exactly are the "antiquated laws" you are referring to?

Having just flown FlySafair: on board food is expensive, but for flights is SA, you wont need to buy anything.

The real issue is their hard ass seats, with no neck support.

Will have to takerl my neck support pillow with me next time I fly.

Having just flown FlySafair: on board food is expensive, but for flights is SA, you wont need to buy anything.

The real issue is their hard ass seats, with no neck support.

Will have to takerl my neck support pillow with me next time I fly.
Yeah I suspect they buy their seats from PPC cement.

only issue I'd have with FlySafair is their entire fleet is Boeing ... ticking timebomb of the skies
Agreed, luckily it is older models. I would also have preferred Airbus aircraft. Unfortunately Boeing's woes are far from over and with Boeing replacing engineers in management with people only interested in sales, it is a recipe for disaster. There are numerous Youtube documentaries on this and it does not seem like Boeing is willing to change.

Back