Knife-wielding prisoner killed in court after jumping witness box

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - A prisoner in the Eastern Cape was declared dead on Tuesday as he appeared in the East London Magistrate’s Court.

In a statement released, provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Tembinkosi Kinana said the 25-year-old inmate was appearing in court after he allegedly tried to escape from prison.

According to reports, Kinana said the inmate was in the witness box at the time and was being cross-examined.

During this time that he jumped out of the witness box with a knife in his hand.

Kinana said a firearm was allegedly fired during the incident.

More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...ness-box-4cbb1529-14c2-49ff-922e-91c81c438d44

Arthur

Honorary Master
A notable omission in the quoted news story is who fired the gun. Was it a policeman? Or a court official, or a lawyer, or a member of the public? The cop spokesman says a firearm was produced. By whom?

R13...

Honorary Master
A notable omission in the quoted news story is who fired the gun. Was it a policeman? Or a court official, or a lawyer, or a member of the public? The cop spokesman says a firearm was produced. By whom?
The article is one of those copy filling things they seem to give to interns. Here's some details - the rest is paywalled

Knife-wielding rapist shot dead in East London court​

PREMIUM
By Sivenathi Gosa, Amanda Nano and Sino Majangaza - 08 September 2021

A warning scream from a court clerk probably saved the life of a prosecutor who was attacked by a knife-wielding rapist — who was then shot dead by prison warders in the East London magistrate’s court...

Kieppie

Executive Member
The article is one of those copy filling things they seem to give to interns. Here's some details - the rest is paywalled

Don't they typically go to court from a holding cell? Also don't they search an inmate before putting them in said holding cell?

I guess he pleaded guilty to all charges.
Life sentence and early parole all rolled into one.

Tax payer win.
Community win.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
How the hell does he get a knife into court?

Well he is where he should be now................saving us time, saving us money putting justice first.
I was in court a few times over the last few months. There are metal detectors, but only once was I asked to remove my phone from my pocket when it set off the turnstile metal detector.

Also, I'm interested to know what he was accused of. The court building has different courtrooms for different offences. Some are much more secure with more court officials than others. The one courtoom I was in last had only the two parties involved in the dispute, the transcriber and of course the magistrate. No security at all, but that was a civil dispute so that is kind of to be expected.

The other had police guarding the entrance, police inside, counsel, translators and the magistrate. They were shielded from the court attendees.

ponder

Honorary Master
They should have tased him, shot him in the leg or pinky toe, this excessive police brutality must be dealt with!

Splinter

Honorary Master
I love these stories about quick and effective justice.

How do I get a knife delivered to Zuma?

Reactions: ES1

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Hate articles like this.

Something happened and now he is dead. We don't know exactly what happened, but something did.

Reactions: ES1

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Hate articles like this.

Something happened and now he is dead. We don't know exactly what happened, but something did.
According to AlgoaFM

Volgens brig. Theminkosi Kinana, polisiewoordvoerder, was die gevangene in die getuiebank toe hy skielik met die wapen opspring.

Hy sê dit is nog onduidelik hoe die gevangene die wapen in die hof gebring het.

Singabakho Nxumalo, woordvoerder van die departement van korrektiewe dienste, sê die wapen was 'n selfgemaakte skerp voorwerp waarmee hy 'n beampte gesteek het.

Nxumalo sê 'n waarskuwingskoot is eers afgevuur. Toe dit hom nie stop nie, is die nootlottige skoot afgevuur. - AlgoaFM

For my English brethren: The guy was already convicted for rape and murder and while in prison, tried to escape so he was appearing on the charge of escaping from lawful custody when this incident ocurred.

While being cross examined, he jumped up wielding a shank and stabbed a court-orderly, which prompted a police officer to fire a warning shot. When the convict still did not stop, the police officer used deadly force.

Flanders

Honorary Master
They should have tased him, shot him in the leg or pinky toe, this excessive police brutality must be dealt with!

Maybe he thought he was in the restaurant across the road and was just on his way to enquire about his missing fork?