Kombucha Brewing

B-127

I found my house is far too cold in winter. I'm using a seedling heat mat which seems to work pretty well and speed things up considerably... On warmer days I need to turn it off... Perhaps a good hobby project for an Arduino, Relay and Temp sensor. I'm aiming for > 20° C, and < 30° C. 3 - 4 days and the booch is ready for 2F.

1627724765413.png

Last edited:

Snyper564

Executive Member
I found my house is far too cold in winter. I'm using a seedling heat mat which seems to work pretty well and speed things up considerably... On warmer days I need to turn it off... Perhaps a good hobby project for an Arduino, Relay and Temp sensor. I'm aiming for > 20° C, and < 30° C. 3 - 4 days and the booch is ready for 2F.

View attachment 1117738
Get an stc 1000 I use it for my fermentation fridge

B-127

Thanks for the suggestion. I may just get one... works out cheaper than a diy solution. I first need to find a suitable cabinet for brewing kombucha.

With the current config of having kombucha on the counter wrapped with the heat mat, the only way to accurately tell the temp would be submerging a probe which I'm not keen on.

Inserting the probe between the mat and container will give me the heat of the mat, which won't be accurate either... may just need a cupboard dedicated to the cause.

Mars

Honorary Master
I think I need to get a fermentation fridge
I already have a small fridge I plan to use for aging meat, (instead of in the drinks fridge). Where an I going to put all this crap lol

Snyper564

Executive Member
I already have a small fridge I plan to use for aging meat, (instead of in the drinks fridge). Where an I going to put all this crap lol
Makes a world of difference I use my fermentation fridge for my beer, kombucha and sourdough proofing.

They super cheap secondhand and just get a reptile ceramic heater and you wont have any issues.

B-127

Makes a world of difference I use my fermentation fridge for my beer, kombucha and sourdough proofing.

They super cheap secondhand and just get a reptile ceramic heater and you wont have any issues.
Is there enough airflow for kombucha? An old fridge that has been modified? Do you perhaps have a pic you could share?

B-127

The struggle is real. I've already been given the green light to purchase a small fridge because my beers and kombucha are taking up too much space :ROFL:

Snyper564

Executive Member
The struggle is real. I've already been given the green light to purchase a small fridge because my beers and kombucha are taking up too much space :ROFL:
I now have three fridges for my fermentations and beer storage :)

Snyper564

Executive Member
Is there enough airflow for kombucha? An old fridge that has been modified? Do you perhaps have a pic you could share?
So here is a pic, want to redo it but it works well.

Top shelf is my bottle conditioning beers and kombucha, I made the container, just wanted a 6l one.

Bottom shelf is my 10l triple fermenting I can put 2x 10l at the bottom and top. I also put 2 pc fans to circulate the air never had issues with any beer or kombucha.

1627825028214.png

this is the ceramic heater

1627825138354.png

B-127

So here is a pic, want to redo it but it works well.

Top shelf is my bottle conditioning beers and kombucha, I made the container, just wanted a 6l one.

Bottom shelf is my 10l triple fermenting I can put 2x 10l at the bottom and top. I also put 2 pc fans to circulate the air never had issues with any beer or kombucha.

Very nice! I am now looking for an old fridge. Do you still cover your kombucha if it's inside the fridge?

Snyper564

Executive Member
Very nice! I am now looking for an old fridge. Do you still cover your kombucha if it's inside the fridge?
Yes and no, it's got a cheap plastic lid that doesn't seal properly I believe kombucha should breathe a bit not like beer fermentation that should be sealed.

B-127

Yes and no, it's got a cheap plastic lid that doesn't seal properly I believe kombucha should breathe a bit not like beer fermentation that should be sealed.
My neighbor gave me an old fridge. Doesn't work, don't think I will need much cooling as I would heating. Now to get some PC fans and an stc... the stc will live in the freezer compartment 16279120936418641047272241909711.jpg

Jitters

Thanks for the suggestion. I may just get one... works out cheaper than a diy solution. I first need to find a suitable cabinet for brewing kombucha.

With the current config of having kombucha on the counter wrapped with the heat mat, the only way to accurately tell the temp would be submerging a probe which I'm not keen on.

Inserting the probe between the mat and container will give me the heat of the mat, which won't be accurate either... may just need a cupboard dedicated to the cause.
you get pretty accurate temp readings by having your temp probe against the side of the vessel covered with some insulation ex. bubble wrap etc.

Snyper564

Executive Member
My neighbor gave me an old fridge. Doesn't work, don't think I will need much cooling as I would heating. Now to get some PC fans and an stc... the stc will live in the freezer compartment View attachment 1119008
This is perfect and pretty much what I am using! I just used cut up mdf board for the levels

B-127

This is perfect and pretty much what I am using! I just used cut up mdf board for the levels
I have the glass shelves, but I'll got some off cuts of plywood I might try. Out of curiosity - does your fridge cool? I've seen some people talk about using a peltier, although apparently not very efficient. Just thinking if I want to expand my horizons in the future.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I have the glass shelves, but I'll got some off cuts of plywood I might try. Out of curiosity - does your fridge cool? I've seen some people talk about using a peltier, although apparently not very efficient. Just thinking if I want to expand my horizons in the future.
So my stc 1000 has a heating and cooling feature.

The heater is plugged into the ceramic heater and cooling feature is the actual fridge.

So if I am doing an ale for example the temp is around 18 deg and most of the time the fridge switches on to "cool" it down to that temp.

For 22 deg the ceramic heater typically switches on to raise the temp.

When I do Kveik and hit 30+ ceramic heater is also used.

The STC1000 does all the cooling/heating as needed and turns the fridge/ceramic heater on as needed. Essentially you just select the temp and the unit does the rest.

Only catch here is you have 1 temp to work with. So I usually chose similar beers to ferment at the same time when its the same over a period of a month for example.

B-127

So my stc 1000 has a heating and cooling feature.

The heater is plugged into the ceramic heater and cooling feature is the actual fridge.

So if I am doing an ale for example the temp is around 18 deg and most of the time the fridge switches on to "cool" it down to that temp.

For 22 deg the ceramic heater typically switches on to raise the temp.

When I do Kveik and hit 30+ ceramic heater is also used.

The STC1000 does all the cooling/heating as needed and turns the fridge/ceramic heater on as needed. Essentially you just select the temp and the unit does the rest.

Only catch here is you have 1 temp to work with. So I usually chose similar beers to ferment at the same time when its the same over a period of a month for example.
Collected my stc 1000 today... the fridge has been certified dead, so I'm going to use this as my "pilot" - heat only, and if it doesn't work out, I'll source a scratch & dent.

Need to decide where to place the fans still, but its coming together... I'm going to wire the stc 1000 temp sensor at the top where the fridges thermostat controller was.
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-04 at 18.05.06.jpeg

Mokgaga

anyone selling healthy scoby in JHB or know where i can buy one?

Ghost64

Expert Member
Wanted to try it but have never seen it anywhere. Also want to try Matcha Tea or Kimchi at some point. Food trends that never made it to SA. :(
It’s like everywhere, even filling stations lol