Kulula’s extra legroom "disappears", but still charged full price

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kulula’s extra legroom "disappears", but still charged full price

Kulula charges customers an additional fee for seats which promise extra legroom, but an unpleasant surprise awaits some people who book these seats.

Kulula explains on its website: “Whether it's some extra legroom, or simply a view of the clouds you're looking for, you can select your favourite spot for a small fee.”

genetic

Honorary Master
Flysafair has a lot more leg room than Kulula. Mango has more leg room than Kulula too.

access

Honorary Master
ive noticed a few airlines do this now

the able bodied person at the emergency exit isnt even a requirement anymore, they just sell the legroom. makes me wonder why it was a requirement in the first place.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Ag shame, book business if you want more space, should be possible with all the spam on the site.

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
I’m curious. Did you do *any* research before publishing this article?

Research would have shown you :
1. Kulula use Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
2. These aircraft are in global industry standard (and certified) config of 189 passengers. This seat layout is called a LOPA. It’s a legal document. Ryanair, Norwegian, Mango, FlySafair amongst others all use the exact same LOPA and are identical (so the comments about mango having more room by another member are patently false).
3. They have been in this config since they got them. Nothing has changed.
4. Airlines can’t just change the LOPA. Every change has to be certified.
5. The left hand side of the plan has an extra row between door 1 and the emergency exits compared to the right hand side.
6. The extra row means the distance between seats is less than on the right hand side, as is the legroom at the bulkhead. Again - global standard for the 189 seat LOPA.
9. You mean Row 1. Not Row A. You will notice on the right hand side where there is more room that the row starts at 2.
10. Your pics compare the right hand side with the left hand side, and are phrased and positioned to imply a before and after situation. Deliberately misleading.

You wonder why Comair won’t comment. I’ll tell you why - poor journalism. Do your research!

naasier

I flew BA. I was given an emergency exit row when I checked (the picture illustrated that I would be seated at an exit row) and the lady at the counter gave me the briefing (you are seated at an exit row, would you be able to assist? blah blah) . I Got on the plane and found myself one row behind the emergency exit. Anyway I never paid for extra legroom so it is what it is.

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
I’m curious. Did you do *any* research before publishing this article?

Research would have shown you :
2. These aircraft are in global industry standard (and certified) config of 189 passengers. This seat layout is called a LOPA. It’s a legal document. Ryanair, Norwegian, Mango, FlySafair amongst others all use the exact same LOPA and are identical (so the comments about mango having more room by another member are patently false).
Not true. An airline can choose it's LOPA seating layout.

Kulula has 189 seats with 30 degrees pitch, while Mango has 186 with 31 degrees pitch. Both exactly the same aircraft.

Also FlySafair and Mango use different seats to Kulula that offer more legroom as standard. If you fly often enough you'll notice that they have narrower seats which offer more leg room.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Genetic and ScrnScrm have collectively done more research on on the topic than all the burhurt mybb "journalists" combined, well done

howzit

Screamer Representative
Company Rep
There are clearly some Kulula trolls on here. This last minute change has happened to me more than once and although Kulula says you can apply for a refund what they dont tell you is that to find the refund option on their website is literally impossible! And then after filling out lengthy forms you then wait 2 to 3 months for the refund.
And don't even try to follow up....

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
There are clearly some Kulula trolls on here. This last minute change has happened to me more than once and although Kulula says you can apply for a refund what they dont tell you is that to find the refund option on their website is literally impossible! And then after filling out lengthy forms you then wait 2 to 3 months for the refund.
And don't even try to follow up....
I've lost a lot of money on Kulula refunds. Requests disappear into a black hole and you end up wasting good time trying to resolve. I've learnt to cut my losses with them and rather use my time more efficiently.

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
Also FlySafair and Mango use different seats to Kulula that offer more legroom as standard. If you fly often enough you'll notice that they have narrower seats which offer more leg room.
Yes. Kulula use Rockwell Pinnacle, Mango uses ACRO, and Safair use Safran (ex Zodiac)
Rockwell Collins
Acro Series 3
Safran Slimplus

Important to note here that the Rockwell Pinnacle is actually a class above the two other "fixed slimline" seats - they were designed for a 31in pitch and greater. They don't work well at sub 31in pitch. Above that pitch, they are extremely comfortable compared to the slimlines. BA Europe learned this the hard way when they "enhanced" the Euro product from 32in to 30in a few years ago with the Pinnacle seat. They are now swapping out the Pinnacle seats with Recaro SL3510 seats (well at least behind the emergency exit - they keeping the Pinnacle seat for Club). These Recaro seats are more suited to LCC type layouts - and for info - are the seats used by Global Aviation who frequently sub for both Kulula and Mango during the peak holidays (the white tail A320s you frequently see at OR Tambo).

Not true. An airline can choose it's LOPA seating layout.

Kulula has 189 seats with 30 degrees pitch, while Mango has 186 with 31 degrees pitch. Both exactly the same aircraft.
I never said airlines can't chose their layouts :) I said that they can't change it without certification - every "Layout of Passenger Amenities" has to be approved by the relevant avaition regulator in country (CAA) because there are all sorts of requirements that need to be met. Certification is an expensive exercise. The manufacturers pre-certify certain combinations, and you often find airlines using the "off the shelf" cerfications because it saves money. In this instance, all three of the 737-800 operators in SA have used a manufacturer supplied standardised layout - they have NOT customised the layout. This means the distance between the seats is identical for all three (think about it - same amount of seats, same amount of space - equals on average the same amount of pitch). Mango seat pitch is identical to Kulula. There is more perceived room because they use slimmer seats, but the actual distance is the same.

I touched on it without specifically mentioning it but here you go : if you look closely at the LOPA, you will see that in front of the emergency exit, DEF side, the pitch is actually 31in in this layout compared to 30in on ABC side. Behind the exit, there are multiple rows that are actually at 29in. If you flying any of the low cost airlines in SA, and room is of utmost importance to you, always choose row 2 to 13 DEF side. Same for Ryanair, same for Norweigan. You are welcome :)

Finally - what Kulula said in their response is indeed true. They often have to charter in capacity from Global due to technical issues and scheduling demand, and the planes coming in from Global are A320s, not 737s. They have considerably less seat pitch than the 737-800s as they are considerably shorter planes physically. Expect about 28in behind exit, 29in in front of exit on the Global birds. The Recaro seats are however fantastic, and over an inch wider (the A320 fuselage is wider than the 737-800), so perceived comfort (if you are a wide ass) is much better!

EasyComs

Kulula are clueless - and I will insist on a credit equal to the full charge off future tickets - the plane was changed to a British Airways flight and we landed up in dangerously tight seats.
This could only happen with very poor management. Kulula - fix this now before we scrap you forever.
Rather than put up with this nonsense, I would happily pay for biz class on any other airline.
Customers must never be assumed to be stupid or you will be left wondering what happened !!!!1