Kulula and BA’s Boeing 737 Max 8 planes – “We remain vigilant”

puzaw

I was

In Fligjt BA6301 from CPT - Durban in 8 March 2019 and the flight was delayed by 1hr due to faulty computer. This is the same plane type that crashed in Ethiopia. The CAA should investigate.
BA6301 on 8 March was flown by ZS-ZWU, an older Boeing 737-800, not the new 737 MAX 8 which is the model in question here.

puzaw

Keep in mind Comair has only received one of the new MAX 8 models so far, it is operating on the BA side, not Kulula. Their second one is still in the USA being prepared for delivery.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Does anyone know if this was the same aircraft type involved in the SAA pilot case over Europe recently?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Does anyone know if this was the same aircraft type involved in the SAA pilot case over Europe recently?
SAA has a Airbus only fleet. The old 737's were transfered to Mango and SAA kept the Airbus A320's. Also, the 737 (old and Max models) are short - medium haul aircraft. SAA would not fly them to Europe even if they were in the fleet. Norwegian Airlines flying the 737 Max on some trans atlantic flights to USA from Europe though.

The incident you referring to would have beein either a Airbus A330 or A340

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
SAA has a Airbus only fleet. The old 737's were transfered to Mango and SAA kept the Airbus A320's. Also, the 737 (old and Max models) are short - medium haul aircraft. SAA would not fly them to Europe even if they were in the fleet. Norwegian Airlines flying the 737 Max on some trans atlantic flights to USA from Europe though.

Thanks for the detailed info!

I just have a sensitivity to towards co-incidences --- don't believe in them.

puzaw

Not all the old 737's went to Mango - some went to FlySafair. Safair owned most of them from the start and leased them to SAA.

LaurenO

I am a regular traveller. Last week I was on a brand new Kulula plane but return flight was delayed due to technical difficulties and flew home on a plane that looked like it came from the 1920's. Reading this, I am glad they did that. Ground the new planes - I for one am not flying BA nor Kulula until they ground the planes.

Craig

Honorary Master
I hope Kulula understands that if there is a serious incident on one of those planes related to this they will be fully responsible for those lives and sued to kingdom come. "Vigilance" will not cut it as a defence. This is clearly serious enough to warrant grounding the planes until the exact cause is established, as many other airlines have already done globally.
They might not be sued, but South Africans in general are very malodramatic so I'm not so sure they will survive the aftermath of a crash. Chances are nobody will want to fly with them again.

Jola

Honorary Master
I for one am not flying BA nor Kulula until they ground the planes.
There is only one BA branded 737 MAX 8. The other BA planes are quite old 737's.

Kulula has some new-looking 737-800's, but those are quite safe.

puzaw

I am a regular traveller. Last week I was on a brand new Kulula plane but return flight was delayed due to technical difficulties and flew home on a plane that looked like it came from the 1920's. Reading this, I am glad they did that. Ground the new planes - I for one am not flying BA nor Kulula until they ground the planes.
There is no "brand new" plane in Kulula's fleet, the youngest one they fly has been delivered in 2015 already. So even if the flight was not cancelled, you wouldn't have been in any danger.

Once again, as stated a few times already, there is only ONE plane in Comair's fleet which is the same model as the Ethiopian one that crashed. It is flying on the BA side.

And even if you fly on that one, your chance of dying is significantly more when driving to the airport to catch the flight.

Craig

Honorary Master
There is no "brand new" plane in Kulula's fleet, the youngest one they fly has been delivered in 2015 already. So even if the flight was not cancelled, you wouldn't have been in any danger.

Once again, as stated a few times already, there is only ONE plane in Comair's fleet which is the same model as the Ethiopian one that crashed. It is flying on the BA side.

And even if you fly on that one, your chance of dying is significantly more when driving to the airport to catch the flight.
I'm sure the people on et302 thought the same.

Jola

Honorary Master
That statistic may not be accurate for a B737 MAX 8

chefdude98

Expert Member
In Fligjt BA6301 from CPT - Durban in 8 March 2019 and the flight was delayed by 1hr due to faulty computer. This is the same plane type that crashed in Ethiopia. The CAA should investigate.
I wish i didnt read this.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Surely Comair can ground the MAX for a few weeks while the investigation makes preliminary findings? They only received the plane a few weeks ago, so the original spare aircraft must just be parked off somewhere.

garp

Executive Member
They might not be sued, but South Africans in general are very malodramatic so I'm not so sure they will survive the aftermath of a crash. Chances are nobody will want to fly with them again.
Hmm... If they know that the plane very likely has a defect but decide to continue operating it, I'm pretty sure there would be ample grounds.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Like it is in this instance? The previous failure traced to faulty instrumentation leading to a fatal automatic response?
Brilliant deduction. So no, I am much happier with a pilot in charge than some or other badly tested automatic system, rushed into service before it was RFS.
Ok so firstly, they have not traced the failure. If they had traced it to be a software issue, they would have grounded the worldwide fleet.

The investigation is still underway and the report is expected to be released ~Aug/Sept 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX#Accidents_and_incidents

Until then, and for many more years into the future, pilot error will remain the no.1 cause of all aircraft accidents.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Comair’s Statement on Ethiopian Airlines, flight ET 302 | 10.03.2019

Our sympathies are with those affected by the heartbreaking tragedy of Ethiopian Airlines, flight ET 302 - 10.03.2019, especially the families and loved ones of the deceased.

We cannot speculate on the causes of this accident, or the Lion Air accident in October 2018, which only a full investigation will resolve.

Comair will continue to monitor the various investigations by the relevant authorities and are in close contact with both Boeing and the SACAA.

The 737 MAX 8 is one of the most commonly used aircraft in many airlines today and by November 2018, 330 737 MAX 8 aircraft were in operation globally.

Our highly trained and experienced flight crew and engineers remain vigilant.

If we receive information that requires us to reassess the situation, please be assured we will take appropriate action in the interests of the safety of our staff and customers.

Safety remains our foremost priority and we will not compromise on the safety of our crew and our customers.

http://www.comair.co.za/media-room/comairs-statement-on-ethiopian-airlines-flight-et-302

P.S.: Kulula have also posted this message as a graphic on their FB page as well:

53868147_10156459863643495_7378099892872282112_n.jpg

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
^^^ not convinced,
business over safety, as somebody else said. if it happens here locally, will kill comair quite quickly with all the lawsuits and publicity.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Local CAA should just do what China did, end of story. Comair can suspend payments to Boeing for the aircraft to speed up the resolution. No need to wait for another crash.

Last edited: