Kulula and BA’s Boeing 737 Max 8 planes – “We remain vigilant”

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
All that 737 Max pilots need to do FIRST when the aircraft starts behaving like a 'bucking bronco' immediately after take-off, is to IMMEDIATELY flip the STAB TRIM cut-out switches, and then focus on any other associated FCOM procedures regarding continuing to fly the aircraft and to make an emergency landing back at the departure airport ASAP.

A very detailed report of the MCAS system as fitted to 737 Max aircraft and the updated Emergency Airworthiness Directive (AD) that Boeing issued after the Lion Air JT610 crash in October last year, is available at the link below:

https://leehamnews.com/2018/11/07/boeing-issues-737-operations-manual-bulletin-after-lion-air-accident/

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Comair have 1 x 737 MAX and received it 2 weeks ago. Just park it for a few days until we know more!

puzaw

^^^ not convinced,
business over safety, as somebody else said. if it happens here locally, will kill comair quite quickly with all the lawsuits and publicity.
Your post is actually very insulting...how do you know how much Comair values safety?

AK65

Well, I find Comair's press release wishy washy. They will remain vigilant?? As if the pilots in both these incidents weren't 'vigilant'? When things started to go wrong, what does a 'vigilant' pilot do? I fly with BA a lot.....I am changing carriers immediately until they come to their senses. I don't want to land up in a MAX 8 hoping that nothing happens.

CeeBee

Expert Member
"Boeing has stated it is aware of the Ethiopian Airlines crash and is monitoring the situation."
whats to monitor? there's nothing left of the plane. perhaps some real action will be better, some rigorous testing of the MCAS system, or pushing to get the investigation going... its in Boeing's interest as well to be sure its not their systems at fault.
sounds too much like Ford monitoring the Kugas burning.
but then... i suppose its been years in test and retest before taking the risk to stick into commercial plane, and i'm sure in the background there are some Boeing staff hecticly busy investigating, and Boeing doesn't want to sound too eager to accept blame.... still... that statement seems just a tad too complacent

all good n well to have a system check and try to recover a too steep climb... but now whats checking a too steep dive?

AK65

all good n well to have a system check and try to recover a too steep climb... but now whats checking a too steep dive?
One system forcing the dive, and another warning "Terrain.....Pull up!"

AK65

Comair getting killed on twitter.......Talk about a self inflicted PR disaster....

Tinuva

The Magician
Was on a Kulula flight recently, as in last week monday and it was a brand new plane. Completely unlabled on the outside, as in only white paint, and inside you could see just how new the seats ect were.

I just imagine now the same could have happened on that flight! :eek:

puzaw

Was on a Kulula flight recently, as in last week monday and it was a brand new plane. Completely unlabled on the outside, as in only white paint, and inside you could see just how new the seats ect were.

If only you realized how totally inaccurate your post is...geez!!!

1. Kulula has no "brand new plane", their youngest plane is already 4 years old
2. If it was white paint only, it was an Airbus A320 which they lease from Global Airways if they are sometimes short of planes. Mango does the same.
3. Their own fleet consists of Boeing 737-800's, they don't have the MAX 8 yet. Sister airline BA operates one.

So...NO...the same could not have happened on that flight!!

Tinuva

The Magician

2. If it was white paint only, it was an Airbus A320 which they lease from Global Airways if they are sometimes short of planes. Mango does the same.
3. Their own fleet consists of Boeing 737-800's, they don't have the MAX 8 yet. Sister airline BA operates one.

Ok if you say so.

Looney

Expert Member

Jeeez, tell us how you really feel.

4cer

Expert Member

The misinformation in this thread is beyond comprehension.

Most likely if you flew on an all white plane it was the Global aviation plane that Kulula has leased. That is about 30 years old. Kulula doesn't have any newer planes that would be all white.

BA has a semi old/semi new fleet with a mixture of 737-400's (3) in their late twenties, 737-800's (9) Ranging from 2 to 18 years old and one 737-Max 8 thats brand new. With an Average fleet age of 17.7 years old, which isn't too bad. (they also sometimes use the 30 year old A320's from global aviation when required - all white bigger leather seats)

Kulula doesn't have any 737-Max's, but has a fleet of basically all 737-800's (1x 737-400 and 1xA320) that are generally quite new.

So people are going a bit wild about nothing, unless you have been on a BA painted plane that says Max at the front has the dual wingtip design and looks pretty new, you don't have to stress.(There is only one plane)

4cer

Expert Member

Pretty much what I said in more words ;-) That A320 that is "New" Is so old..

puzaw

The misinformation in this thread is beyond comprehension.

Most likely if you flew on an all white plane it was the Global aviation plane that Kulula has leased. That is about 30 years old. Kulula doesn't have any newer planes that would be all white.

BA has a semi old/semi new fleet with a mixture of 737-400's (3) in their late twenties, 737-800's (9) Ranging from 2 to 18 years old and one 737-Max 8 thats brand new. With an Average fleet age of 17.7 years old, which isn't too bad. (they also sometimes use the 30 year old A320's from global aviation when required - all white bigger leather seats)

Kulula doesn't have any 737-Max's, but has a fleet of basically all 737-800's (1x 737-400 and 1xA320) that are generally quite new.

So people are going a bit wild about nothing, unless you have been on a BA painted plane that says Max at the front has the dual wingtip design and looks pretty new, you don't have to stress.(There is only one plane)
Finally a post with 100% correct information!

Looney

Expert Member
Frustrated to read the sh*t people post...
Well you seem very knowledgeable. So why not use that knowledge in a more constructive way and correct him rather? I’m sure he would have appreciated learning something new.

Tinuva

The Magician
Frustrated to read the sh*t people post...
Do you work at Comair?

Article didn't specify plane is used on BA side, and plane I was in smelled new. So is likely people will make assumptions.

puzaw

Do you work at Comair?

Article didn't specify plane is used on BA side, and plane I was in smelled new. So is likely people will make assumptions.
Well you know the saying, assumptions are the mother of all f-ups...rather ask on the forum then, instead of claiming that something is so or so.

No, not working at Comair but in the aviation industry.

Tinuva

The Magician
Well you know the saying, assumptions are the mother of all f-ups...rather ask on the forum then, instead of claiming that something is so or so.

No, not working at Comair but in the aviation industry.
Do know the saying. Never claimed something about the planes but did mention my suspicions. That said, thank you for the corrections.

Now let me help you a bit. You could do better with the way you explain facts when you do correct someone that is wrong.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Dave: Turn off the Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), please, HAL. turn off the MCAS, please, HAL. Hello, HAL, do you read me? Hello, HAL, do you read me? Do you read me, HAL? Do you read me, HAL? Hello, HAL, do you read me? Hello, HAL, do you read me? Do you read me, HAL?

HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave: Turn off the Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave: What's the problem?

HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

View attachment 630330
The young un's ain't gonna get this........ ;)