KULULA - MN137 Jhb to Cpt on 03/07/2016 - Eardrum Perforation from Cabin Pressure

berghie

My girlfriend had the misfortune of booking a flight with Kulula for OR Tambo to CPT Intl yesterday evening.
On the flight many people around her complained about discomfort in their ears from what I presume was a drop in cabin pressure.
My girlfriend now has a perforated eardrum. :twisted:

Is there any recourse for her or the other passengers against Kulula?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Did they descent too quickly?
Or was it the one aircraft that had the pressurization problem?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
My girlfriend had the misfortune of booking a flight with Kulula for OR Tambo to CPT Intl yesterday evening.
On the flight many people around her complained about discomfort in their ears from what I presume was a drop in cabin pressure.

You can try..

Unless you can medically prove that the issue was due to cabin pressure drop or anything of the sort then just don't waste your time.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
But why even make a scene about it?

How Is a Ruptured Eardrum Treated?
Typically, no specific treatment is needed for a ruptured eardrum; the vast majority of ruptured eardrums heal within three months.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
But why even make a scene about it?
It's pretty painful and I'm sure they've already raised medical costs with relation to a doctor checking it out and pain meds.

As to recourse, there should be either a direct complaints line or indirect one through the SA version of the FAA. The blackboxes\flight logs should have record of cabin pressure.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Yeah, but it can happen even if there is no sudden drop in cabin pressure. Proving this will take a lot, all for a R400 doc's visit and R100 in over the counter pain meds.
Is the OP and GF American? I thought only 'mericans where so litigious...

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Looking at the flight track data the flight was uneventful and it flew a normal course to CT and 38000ft.
Its continued to fly the last day with 4 legs and another more scheduled.

Was your GF perhaps sick or headcold?
I fly quite bit, and once had a horrible experience where I got a bit ill on a trip to JHB and my sinuses were so clogged up, I could not equalize pressure when we descended into DBN.

Was fine going to cruise alt, but thought my head/ears were going to burst on the descent. Had to ask for tissues to wipe the mucus up draining from my ears and nose.

berghie

Looking at the flight track data the flight was uneventful and it flew a normal course to CT and 38000ft.

I fly quite bit, and once had a horrible experience where I got a bit ill on a trip to JHB and my sinuses were so clogged up, I could not equalize pressure when we descended into DBN.

Was fine going to cruise alt, but thought my head/ears were going to burst on the descent. Had to ask for tissues to wipe the mucus up draining from my ears and nose.
Does the flight data show the cabin pressure?
Seems odd how many people around my girlfriend complained of the same pain. It is possibile that the other people complaining had colds, but my girlfriend didn't have one.

berghie

Seems odd how many people around my girlfriend complained of the same pain. It is possibile that the other people complaining had colds, but my girlfriend didn't have one.

tRoN

Executive Member
These things happen. Tell her to take some panado and move on. It could have been worse.
The airline didn't deliberately change the cabin pressure to injure their passengers so there was no negligence on their part.
Karma is a bitch..

Sneeky

Honorary Master
No it doesnt but if there was an issue with pressurization during the cruise O2 masks would be deployed and the plane would make a rather swift decent to below 10000m.
Trust me everyone on board would know about it.

Also the pressure in the plane is the whole plane, including the cockpit.
Besides the multiple warnings that would be received in the cockpit if there was a pressurization issue, the pilots themselves are also human and would be subjected to the same thing, if there was a problem.

bromster

Expert Member

The easiest way to prove your case is to find the registration of the aircraft that you flew on and look at the technical log or 'snag list' from the cockpit. If there were any issues with pressurisation, they will be documented in there.

Based on the fact that the aircraft continued flying for the rest of the day, I doubt there was any issue. If one of the two air con packs had broken, the aircraft would have been operating at 24000' or 25000' for all of its subsequent flights on that day.