Kusile designs "manipulated" so Hitachi Power Africa could win tender - De Ruyter

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
André de Ruyter's revelations about alleged Eskom tender corruption

Former Eskom CEO André de Ruyter has alleged that design criteria for systems at Kusile power station were manipulated to ensure ANC-connected Hitachi Power Africa won the tender.

He also blamed South Africa’s energy crisis on the rampant ANC-supported corruption at Eskom, and “evidence suggests” the ANC was using the state-owned power utility as a “feeding trough”.

Ah yes! Classic ANC jargon at its best.
Not "unfounded" or "without merit", but "baseless!"
I assume that's largely representative of the many RDP developments which are little more than a foundation with a slab. Job done!

Last edited:
Why has Hitachi not been sued? Maybe Gerrie Nel can do a private prosecution?

Ah yes! Classic ANC jargon at its best.
Not "unfounded" or "without merit", but "baseless!"
I assume that's largely representative of the many RDP developments which are little more than a foundation with a slab. Job done!
Considering those RDP developments have that base slab "baseless" is the one thing they aren't.

Wall-less, roofless, and windowless maybe.

Why has Hitachi not been sued? Maybe Gerrie Nel can do a private prosecution?
Hitachi was fined $19 by the SEC in 2015 for corrupt practices (falsified payments) to Chancellor House

Hitachi was pushed and defended by Mantashe...

...and through Chancellor House funded the ANC for years:

Dots were connected a while back. De Ruyter doesn't need to provide evidence, just a Google Search result.

A retired Eskom designer offered his thoughts, in an open letter (13/05/2019).
The reading is fairly technical if you don't know power plant.
I think his closing comment sums it up.

Hitachi was fined $19 by the SEC in 2015 for corrupt practices (falsified payments) to Chancellor House

Hitachi was pushed and defended by Mantashe...

...and through Chancellor House funded the ANC for years:

Dots were connected a while back. De Ruyter doesn't need to provide evidence, just a Google Search result.
Waiting for @TheChamp to say that has nothing to do with his hero, Gweezy.

Unpossible. Medupi and Kusile are monuments to ANC greatness. They are perfect in design and function exactly as intended. Any questions or criticism of them is anti-black racist projection

I read that at the time. Don't mean to sound like I'm defending Eskom but it does come across that our coal is pretty unusual and tricky.

There aren't going to be a large number of people who've read Mr Ham's “The characteristics of South African coals”, either.

But this just makes it even more unforgivable that there was apparently zero continuity of knowledge in the organisation.

They're learning all over again from mistakes that were made and learned from decades ago.

The reading is fairly technical if you don't know power plant.
I think his closing comment sums it up.
Two years to do that fix and prevent loadshedding. Recommendation made in 2019 and Eskom has done fokol. Dololo. Zilch!

They behave as if power plants are some uber-technical 'cern' type machine. As Winde said in his speech, France built a huge plant in 120 days.
The rest of the world has power plants galore. The lights stay on. These local new plants were designed to loot public money, otherwise they'd have been finished on budget and on time.

I read that at the time. Don't mean to sound like I'm defending Eskom but it does come across that our coal is pretty unusual and tricky.

There aren't going to be a large number of people who've read Mr Ham's “The characteristics of South African coals”, either.

But this just makes it even more unforgivable that there was apparently zero continuity of knowledge in the organisation.

They're learning all over again from mistakes that were made and learned from decades ago.
I would put good money on the engineers knowing the requirements but they were overridden by the beancounters and political masters for a bit of extra gravy.

Back